A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mama's got a brand new bag!  (Read 15110 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2012 08:49:58 AM »

So... I finally finished another bag. Phew - I tell ya, this figuring things out as you go along thing is tough!

A while ago I posted my first ever bag - the ulti-mom bag. Which is awesome and I have been using it non-stop since the day I made it, but let's be frank - I'm a MOM and sometimes MOM's need to carry a LOT of stuff. Like if we're going out with the kiddos for a whole day, we need to carry lots of extraneous things, like granola bars, sippy cups, napkins, safety pins, water bottles, extra pairs of kid pants, diapers, etc etc etc. SO - following the basic idea of my ultimom bag (the bag with 3 compartments, which is awesome and I love it, and all of my bags from now on require that) I made a few changes and came up with this!

Isn't that fabric glorious? Ikea baby!
It's significantly larger than my previous bag, and a slightly different style. We're going to say it's a bit... dressier.

It still has 3 compartments, but this time I made the center section zip-up - which is great because that's where I'm going to keep all the little loosey-goosey things that tend to roll around in the bottom of a bag.

And, to combat some of that loose-item-ness, I made a couple of cute pouches. One is holding all the lovely medications that I carry around (What, you mean you DON'T carry allergy meds, muscle relaxants, pain meds, migrane meds, cough drops, and antacids with you all the time? Who ARE you?) and the other is holding things like lipstick, lip balm, deodorant and mascara.

Lastly - I knew I wanted to do something different for the straps, and even though I'm not totally happy with them (they may get changed out eventually) because I a) couldn't find cheap enough vinyl in the right colour so I had to make and stuff (UGH) those stupid straps that are currently on there. and b) could only find plastic curtain grommets so those are DEFINITELY temporary until I can find metal ones - it's going to have to do for now, because I just can't wait to use this bag!

Anyways here's a pic of the grommet/straps

Eh-voila!

C&C totally welcome and much appreciated.
Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012 08:53:23 AM »

First of all I am now in love with that fabric!! I'm heading to ikea tomorrow and you know I'll be looking for it. And the bag itself is awesome - it looks like you'll be ready to tackle anything with that. The pouches are an awesome accessory too. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012 12:48:36 PM »

Both the fabric and the bag are beautiful. You did an excellent job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
raewolo
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012 01:01:34 PM »

Love it! I was only recently that I found out Ikea had fabric, and they are such pretty fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012 01:19:25 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Yes! The Ikea fabrics are fabulous. A bit heavier weight, but perfect for bags, and the patterns are so graphic and fun. I bought another one while I was there, a nice bright blue with leaves printed on it. I'm thinking of making an overnight style of bag, as soon as I figure out how on earth I might make it!

This bag was fun though because it gave me an opportunity to try and make things a little differently than my first bag. But that's how you learn I guess! I just keep getting so much inspiration from all the wonderful craftspeople here on Craftster!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

wyrillco
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012 06:24:44 PM »

Love it! 

Have you had any luck finding metal grommets of that size?  I'm looking for them myself! 

And Ikea has the best fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012 06:43:15 PM »

No luck finding the metal grommets yet. I've seen a couple online, but I'm a little leery of purchasing from Hong Kong, seems to be the only place. But I may bite the bullet and just order them because I can't find them anywhere else. Even Fabricland only carries plastic, and they sell EVERYTHING to make your own curtains and such. So disappointing. Anywho - I'll let you know if I find anywhere, but I think online is my only option.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012 12:46:25 PM »

LOVE this!  So pretty!  <sigh>  I really wish I could order fabric from IKEA over the internet, but alas and alack, that is not to be.  The closest store is 3.5 hours from me, and I just can't justify that kind of trip just for fabric. 

Great job on the bag! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012 01:33:04 PM »

Padester - 3.5 hours!? That's practically unconscionable! No one should have to be that far from an Ikea.

Thanks for the compliment too! I've had quite a few comments on the bag while I'm out and about, and I have to admit, as much as I didn't initially like the straps, having the fact that it's fabric stuffed with polyfill - they're REALLY comfy. So I'm probably going to keep them.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012 02:51:36 PM »

That is amazing!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackAppleStudios
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012 06:47:05 PM »

I love the fabric. The bag is stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suddenlysandra
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012 05:06:10 PM »

That's an amazing bag!!!

I order craft supplies from Asian Etsy and Ebay sellers all the time, with no problems.  The items take about 5 weeks to arrive, on average.  They certainly have a far better selection than (much overpriced) Fabricland (who, by the way, is having their 50% off for members sale right now) :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ally-oops
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012 05:54:48 PM »

Lol I just made curtains out of that fabric!  I love it as a bag!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012 06:41:57 PM »

That's an amazing bag!!!

I order craft supplies from Asian Etsy and Ebay sellers all the time, with no problems.  The items take about 5 weeks to arrive, on average.  They certainly have a far better selection than (much overpriced) Fabricland (who, by the way, is having their 50% off for members sale right now) :-)

Oh I'm so glad to hear that someone's had a good experience... I am just so leery of ordering from something so far away, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just do it. I've found that they do have some awesome selection and I'm going to just stock up on notions and try and get one big shipment if I can find a seller who carries everything I'm after.

I was considering this fabric for curtains, but I couldn't really make it work with any of our rooms, so into a bag it became! I do love it as a pattern though, it's so graphic and funky.

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

P31 Creative
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012 06:51:31 PM »

Love your bag! Great design with all the pockets. I adore that fabric! I have seen those in the Ikea catalog and just drooled hehe... did you have any problems or challenges with that fabric vs any other 'normal' fabric? thats been my biggest fear in buying some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012 07:03:33 PM »

I didn't have any major problems with the fabric. It's really a fair weight cotton. The ONLY thing is that it frays like it's its job. I zigzaged EVERY seam on the interior of this bag. If I left pieces too long or played with them too much they would start to fray - so I would recommend either cutting with pinking shears (if you have them) or leaving a little bit bigger seam allowance in cutting to deal with the fraying. I bought another length of a different pattern while I was at Ikea (it's going to be a duffle bag I think... at least some of it is Wink ha) and I test cut some of it and it frays really easily as well. But otherwise - it sews nicely, lays flat, irons well, and doesn't run when you wash it. So yeah - for the price, Ikea fabric is AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ColetteK
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012 05:52:55 AM »

That bag is awesome! and I just love the fabric. It's gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

P31 Creative
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012 07:48:49 AM »

I didn't have any major problems with the fabric. It's really a fair weight cotton. The ONLY thing is that it frays like it's its job. I zigzaged EVERY seam on the interior of this bag. If I left pieces too long or played with them too much they would start to fray - so I would recommend either cutting with pinking shears (if you have them) or leaving a little bit bigger seam allowance in cutting to deal with the fraying. I bought another length of a different pattern while I was at Ikea (it's going to be a duffle bag I think... at least some of it is Wink ha) and I test cut some of it and it frays really easily as well. But otherwise - it sews nicely, lays flat, irons well, and doesn't run when you wash it. So yeah - for the price, Ikea fabric is AWESOME.

yay thats great to hear! I see a trip to Ikea in my near future hehe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012 07:02:14 PM »

Gor-Geous! And such fantastic fabric, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012 08:03:09 PM »

Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments. And the best thing happened: tonight a woman stopped me in a public place to ask me where I got my bag?! I just smiled, and told her I made it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012 12:14:48 PM »

Love the bag. I amde one with a center zip and I loved it! It's so useful! Also never thought about using curtain rings. Neat! Looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carla P
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012 11:05:50 AM »

Beautiful...love the fabric too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012 02:18:54 PM »

This is such an inspiration!  Great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bentindahead

Is ordinary... with a little extra.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012 12:13:11 PM »

WOW! I LOVE the fabric. Your bag design is great and functional and similar to what I look for (though my kids are older--teen age; so I need things like notepads and pens and duct tape! hahahahah) in a bag. I had bought a "radio bag" from a military surplus store, thinking it'd hold up to my hard use-- nope, it hasn't. Dental floss repairs are keeping me by until I can find a design I like. And this is where I must say that using the grommets is a fantastic idea! The problem I have with most purses/bags is the tearing from the weight (yes, things like migraine meds, thyroid, eye drops, lighters--and I don't even smoke!-- basically anything that I might need while I'm out and about).

Thank you for sharing this design with us, and I will definitely be putting that grommet idea in the back of my head for when I do make my bag, because I think that and maybe canvas belts (military style) will be strong enough for what I need.

All best,
bentindahead
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please don't clean up my mess; you'll confuse me and screw up my world!
LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012 02:07:53 PM »

Very alluring and cool, that black print. A pretty glamorous Mom item. Which outta help when you are dealing with some of the less glamorous aspects of kid hood. Which ends all too soon:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
stacijane
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012 07:07:47 PM »

Gorgeous!!  I pray to the IKEA Gods to bless me with a store nearby.  Nothing yet, but I'll keep trying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012 07:53:10 PM »

You can order most ikea fabrics online. Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

depphead
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012 08:59:04 AM »

Cheesy I love your bag, and I love your post!  Cheesy  You could have designed that bag for me!   Really great job you did there.  The design, and fabric is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtlegirl222
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012 03:38:50 PM »

This bag is beautiful... I love the fabric & the stuffed straps & everything! Very nice!  I need to go to IKEA now.  I didn't know they had fabric!
You got my first post   Wink  I just joined today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012 12:21:07 PM »

Thanks again everyone! Just so you know, I never did fine metal grommets, but I have replaced the ones pictured with a slightly heavier plastic set which are working out just fine.... and I actually kind of love the stuffed straps too, so I'm not going to replace them after all, they just are really comfy, which is totally necessary.

Also - have I mentioned this before? - Ikea fabric washes like a dream! DREAM! Just ran this bag through the wash last week (because, uh... I've been using it... a LOT) and it came out looking like new Smiley

and last, but certainly not least... your first ever post turtlegirl222? *blush* Thanks! Cheesy

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacijane
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012 06:55:54 PM »

I love it!  The fabric is gorgeous - I'm going to Baltimore in a week and Ikea is on my "must do" list!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012 04:58:59 AM »

I LOVE this bag!  The fabric is right up my alley and I adore that you use little pouches to contain all your goodies!  I do the same thing (as bags rarely come with enough pockets!) and my friends think I'm crazy.lol

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012 07:26:41 PM »

That is a fantastic bag, I love how it looks and love hoe functional it must be
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012 07:28:38 PM »

It's awesomely functional.

And I'm ALL about the pouches. I love them. In fact, I've made a few more since making the bag. I'm always separating things due to their purpose. I am the kind of person that needs all like items to be in one spot. And pouches totally work for that. Now it's just remembering which pouch has which things in it!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013 10:04:41 AM »

congrats on being a best of 2012 winner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013 10:10:40 AM »

Thanks! I'm totally thrilled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013 10:15:04 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violetbellerophon
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013 08:21:23 AM »

I had completely gone off making bags in the last few years... now I think I may have to add a bag project to my list for 2013~ Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saving my world one project at a time

http://pinterest.com/lolita226/
liliv-1
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013 01:03:07 PM »

love this bag. lucky mama!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hunting for Halloween Costumes in Hong Kong
The Look of Stella McCartney Spring 2015
Best Bronzing Tips for Fall
Halloween Costume Idea: Teen Wolf Mom
5 Products to Create the Perfect Cat Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...