A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A different wedding cake  (Read 812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2012 08:40:04 AM »

So, for my brother's wedding last July, I was asked to make the cake. I said sure, as long as it wasn't too complicated. Well, this http://the20somethingsociety.com/2010/06/09/something-different/ is what she decided she wanted. Waaaay more complicated than I'd ever attempted. She wanted vines up the side too.

I told her that as long as she didn't mind the small tiers all being fake, I would give it a try. I bought 1 in high styrofoam squares and covered them with fondant. Oh, did I mention this was my first major project with fondant? Yeah. I did alot of practice runs. A little bumpy still, but not too shabby I think.

Things I would change: I started my tinting way too dark. I wish the tiers' color change was more pronounced. Also, I wish I had angled then tiers a little more sharply. Mostly I wish I had made the top tier at least twice as tall. But I transported everything from IL to IN and didn't have supplies to make more cake by the time I realized it was too short. And finally, I wish my sis-in-law had wanted a topper on the cake. I think it needed it, but they loved it just as it was. That's what counts I guess! Oh, the vines were fondant and the leaves were chocolate painted over basil leaves so there would be veins on them.

All in all, for as complicated as it was (for me!), I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I also did a grooms cake, but it's going to be posted in paper projects b/c it's main feature is a two foot tall paper steampunk airship!

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012 02:14:31 PM »

Pretty ambitious, your first work with fondant being for your brother's wedding cake!  With the love and care you put both this AND the groom's cake, I'd say your new sister-in-law made a smart choice marrying into your family!

I don't think you necessarily started the blue too dark; to me it looks more like you weren't gradual enough in lightening it for the top four shallow tiers; there's a big difference between the second (from the bottom) and the third, and the top three look to be almost the same color.

And I agree with you about having a more pronounced twist of the tiers and a taller cake on top.

As for the lack of a topper, I see what you mean.  However, I think that if the leaves on the top of the cake could be made to "stand up" a bit from the horizontal, or if you continued the vine across the top while tapering towards the opposite corner, or a combination of the two, you might not feel the need for any more height above the cake.

Looking forward to watching your continuing cake adventures unfold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Spring Rolls
How to make Coconut Chicken Soup - Thai Foodcast
How to make a Papaya Salad or Som Tam - Thai Foodcast
Dashi-Braised Shitakes with Brown Rice
Kung Pao Spaghetti
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...