A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of old knitting patterns  (Read 1302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elljo3
« on: March 16, 2012 11:19:13 AM »

I have. Been going through my mums patterns and have found lots of old patterns and lots from magazines.

Any ideas if I could sell some patterns and give the ones from magazines to a charity or something,any money I do make will go to a memorial for my mum.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o592/Ellen_Cornes/f2d9bdc4.jpg
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012 11:35:34 AM by Elljo3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet along Rectangle granny 7/30
Yo-yo crochet 0/50
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012 12:24:59 PM »

Page not found Sad

Either way, I think that if you already have an avenue for selling things (craft fairs, Etsy, or a bustling local Craigslist), then I think you should go ahead and try to sell them. I don't know much about selling vintage knitting patterns, but you will need to decide whether you want to get the amount of money they are worth, or just sell them all so that you'll have some money. For example, maybe sell individual patterns and magazines for a dollar or two, and the books of patterns for three. Then again, there are people who will be willing to pay as much as $15 for a booklet depending on it's age and the patterns in it, so it's a trade off on waiting for the right buyer or selling them quickly.

I think mentioning that these were your mother's patterns and that proceeds of the sale will go towards honoring her memory (in a short but heartfelt sentence or two) is perfectly appropriate.

If you decide that your mother would be happier knowing her patterns are helping charitable works, then by all means, send them to Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul, or even better, a small community run thrift store where the proceeds go directly into the community. For example, my hometown has a thrift shop dedicated to running a dog kennel that holds the overflow of the local humane society, and they even have an adoption board in the shop and regularly have dogs visiting at the store who are waiting for adoption.

Whatever you decide to do, if it feels right, then it probably is Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimadagem
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012 09:43:16 AM »

eBay is another possibility if you want to sell the patterns, plus I think they have a way to donate the proceeds of the sale to a charity. They aren't free, though; there may be a listing fee and there is usually a fee after they sell too. But it's a thought.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012 07:33:17 AM »

This website accepts donations of old patterns and booklets.  If the patterns are part of public doman, due to copy right laws, thy will post the patterns so all knitters can download the patterns for free and enjoy them.

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/  If you scroll down the page it says:

Do you have old leaflets and pattern books that are looking for a new home? Donate to us and you'll receive a surprise thank you gift! Our address for mailing is:

Purple Kitty LLC
172 Ellen St
Oswego, NY 13126
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outdoors Photography
How to Shoot Baby Photos
How to Choose a Camera for Family Photos
How to Debunk Shark Surfer and a Talk with GOD
Production Tech Tips: 3D Camera Systems
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...