A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Should I Use Plarn or Yarn?  (Read 686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 16, 2012 04:54:28 AM »

I am currently working on items to be sold to raise money for a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.  I am planning to make can cozies, but wanted to ask the craftster crochet community their opinion on whether or not I should use plarn, yarn, or a combination of both held together.  I am leaning towards just making some to fit in every one of those categories, but wanted to weigh in on what crocheters have found to be more popular with the general public, rather than craft audience.  I have googled images and have done some research by looking at some etsy shops, but google tends to provide crafter pictures of final products, whereas Etsy is largely based with craftminded customers.  Neither has really provided me with any evidence that either sells better, and I'd like to raise a lot of money as my boyfriend's mother passed away due to cancer and this is a cause that's really near and dear to me.  Has anyone sold can cozies at craft fairs, or at events?  I need help in making this decision Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
ADDCrafting
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012 02:29:49 PM »

I can't say what sells better, as I don't have experience selling them, however, I can say that a plarn can cozy doesn't jive in my head. A can cozy should (a) keep the can cold and (b) keep your hand dry. I'd think plarn wouldn't work for at least the last part of that; that all the moisture could just seep through onto your hand. :/ Admittedly, making it out of a fiber that's absorbent AND somewhat mildew resistant would probably be best...

That's not to say you couldn't make some with plarn. Some people might like it. But I don't think the majority of them should be, as they don't seem as practical; they're more of a novelty thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012 05:25:06 PM »

All I see on Etsy are yarn types. I, too, don't see the point of plarn, it will just drip out the holes and get your hand wet anyway. Can cozies are one of those things you make because it's easy and cheap, but folks aren't really falling over themselves to buy them. If you google "crocheted can cozies", you'll find more patterns and projects than sellers. That's pretty telling. Maybe they would sell for charity, maybe not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012 12:53:39 PM »

I decided to go with making ten of each cancer awareness color in acrylic.  I am doing can cozies because most people will be carrying drinks in cans and bottles as they walk by.  Also, it gives the customer something to relate to with the awareness colors.  I am making more than just can cozies as well for this event, and all proceeds go to the ACS through our Relay for Life team.  Hopefully it will be a great success, just wanted to give some closure to this post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Appetite For Digestion: Anthony Eats America Ep. 4 - Deleted Scene
I Am Spam: Anthony Eats America Ep. 4 - Deleted Scene
Anthony Opens Up: Anthony Eats America Ep. 4 - Deleted Scene
Cherry Pie With Lattice Top Recipe
Wrigley Field Chef Shows How to Make Chicago Chopped Relish
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...