A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Blood Bag Project  (Read 2721 times)
Tags for this thread: the_blood_bag_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Leighlalovesyou
Founder of The Blood Bag Project

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2012 03:23:47 AM »

Hi,  Grin

My name is Leigh and I am a final year Textile Craft student at the University of Huddersfield. I am basing my final year project on my 21 month old niece, Chloe, who suffers from a rare blood disorder called Diamond Blackfan Anaemia.

This disorder means that her bone marrow does not create new red blood cells, causing her to become severely anaemic. As a result, she requires a blood transfusion every 4-5 weeks. Chloe received 2 transfusions before birth, and will require more than 120 transfusions before she is ten years old when she will be old enough to undergo chemotherapy and receive a bone marrow transplant. Until then, Chloe needs the help of blood donors of her rare blood type to donate 35 pints of blood needed to keep her alive.

As a response to the fact that I can not donate blood due to a health condition, I have set up 'The Blood Bag Project', a craft campaign that aims to raise awareness of Chloe's rare condition that only around 700 people worldwide suffer from.By creating textile 'blood bags', those like me who are unable to donate blood can help in another way. Those who want to get involved can go to the projects website and download the free PDF template of a blood bag and get creative - they are encouraged to use any textile materials you wish to make and fill the bags.

I then hope to exhibit the donated 'blood bags' and auction them to raise money for blood disease charities.  So far, the project has had a great response, going beyond the UK as far as America and Australia.

For more information about DBA, blood donation, The Blood Bag Project and your free template plus postage details please visit the following links:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/thebloodbagproject
Tumblr Blog: www.thebloodbagproject.tumblr.com

Thank You,
Leigh

Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012 03:33:53 AM by Leighlalovesyou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leighlalovesyou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012 11:17:06 AM »

Here are some examples of bags donated so far:

Hazel - Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Andy - York, UK

Holly - Neston, UK

Kim - Melbourne, Australia

Wink
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012 11:55:40 AM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012 10:34:42 PM »

I hope you are able to update us on this project, it is a wonderfully unique idea!  Before my bone marrow transplant for leukemia I had over 40 blood transfusions and I can only imagine how hard it is for Chloe and her rare blood type.  best wishes to Chloe and your family Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Leighlalovesyou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012 01:39:12 AM »

Hi alteredmommy,

Thank you for your response.  I'm sorry to here about your lukemia, but I'm very glad that you got your transplant. I hope all is well!  The project is aimed at helping people just like you, if it wasn't for blood and bone marrow donation those suffering from ailments such as DBA and lukemia would have a great struggle than they already face.

So far the project is going really well.  It's had nothing but positive responses from everyone and it's amazing how many people want to get involved, both from crafting and non-crafting backgrounds and of all ages!

The project is moving ahead nicely and I'm getting a lot of support from Dream Rocket founder Jennifer Marsh.  The Blood Bag Project now has its first target - 100 textile blood bags by the 31st August!  So far I have 10 in my posession so there's still a long way to go but I don't believe it's an unrealistic goal!  Obviously, help from Craftsters like yourself would be greatly appreciated, whether that be making bags or spreading the word!

For regular updates you can either visit the blog or twitter:
Blog: www.thebloodbagproject.tumblr.com
Twitter: @bloodbagproject

And don't forget to download your FREE template on The Blood Bag Project's website:

Thanks again,
Leigh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012 08:58:08 PM »

this is a great idea!  And what a wonderful way to bring some attention to a rather rare disease.  I'm bookmarking this thread, so I can remember it when I have a smidge more time to make a bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leighlalovesyou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012 12:41:35 AM »

Thank You Belladune!  Like I said, the first target is for the 31st August, so theres plenty of time yet, but don't worry if you can't make one before this date as the project will be ongoing indefinately, and I'll be setting new targets after this date!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012 10:45:31 PM »

I donate platelets rather regularly. platelets cannot be manufactured, and must come from a human, they are only good to be transfused for a short period of time. Same with most blood components- they can be seperated from human blood, but can't be 'made' in a lab. I am the biggest pain-baby, but it really doesn't hurt much. In fact, the little pinprick in my finger hurts worse than the actual donation.
I am sorry to hear that your sister has to go through so much to survive. I wish more people understood the importance of giving blood, or blood components. Really, the average person has all this extra blood they don't need, but that blood can be a priceless gift to someone who needs it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012 11:23:28 PM »

Thank you for donating Smiley  Platelet donors are THE rockstars of blood donation in my book, I often had to have platelet transfusions and when there were shortages the group of dedicated platelet donors always came through often with very little warning time to prepare.

I am getting some great ideas for this project, hopefully I can get something done in the next month or two!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Leighlalovesyou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012 02:23:32 AM »

I am getting some great ideas for this project, hopefully I can get something done in the next month or two!

Feel free to make as many bags as you like, some people have made 2 or 3, and some have even collaborated with a friend/relative!  Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

domesticmamma
Veni, vidi, vici.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012 08:53:23 AM »

I will definitely send some since I'm crafting everyday with my nieces, ill get them to make some blood bags too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 18/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 3/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 22/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 16/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 23/26
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...