A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a box smaller--Tut and pic heavy  (Read 1401 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 15, 2012 07:58:01 PM »

I'm getting to the end of a swap, and I can't find the right sized box.  I know we have all been there at some point.  SO I just decided to cut one down. While working on it I thought "this might be usefull information for some craftster folks"  so i decided to make a tut about how to make this particular waffle box a lot smaller and very sturdy.  I imagine it could be used for any size box, though I mostly use these boxes.  I also used it as an excuse to play around on picnik.com as they are closing down mid April, and I will miss it terribly.  SO anyway...On With The Show Grin

The BEFORE and AFTER

I opened the box along the glued side seam.  I just used my hands and pried it open.  I didn't cut it open, because I had plans for the glue TAB. Please ignore the cuts in the top and bottom flaps (the white parts).  I had it all cut up before I thought to tut Grin

I cut the box in half, down the side fold. If you don't have a glue tab on your box, cut a tab when you cut it in half. Now we need to make some folds.  I just ruff folded it with a strait edge..like this..

I put the ruler at the 1/2 way point between the flaps on the sides of the box (which was 4.5 inches for me), stood on the ruler, and folded.  You will need 3 folds...2 new side folds and 1 fold that will become a top edge that the flaps will come out from.  This picture is a side fold.  The other fold goes through the body of the box.  

I am using the brown side of the box for the inside of my smaller box, mostly so I could draw the pattern.  But you could turn the box inside out and have a brown box when you were done.  

Here is a close up.  The four middle squares are the sides of the box.  Remember the folding?  Now I cut down the 2 side folds only to the 1 long fold across the body, making new flaps.  4 flaps off of each long fold is what we are going for.  The flaps will make the top and bottom of the box.  Every other flap is cut shorter by half. Those will be folded inside first when I make the box.  That will leave me with 4 long flaps still.  I left 2 full sized, to be the last flaps.  I made sure one of them was white, for the address.  Had I not thought of that, then I would have made a label.  The other 2 long flaps can be cut down to save weight, or left on for extra strength.

This pic is just to show how the tab will go on the inside of the box.

Fold the box up and stick the tab inside and tape the edge.  I make sure tape goes over all the open side, but sometimes I put a small piece of tape down first to hold things together a bit, before laying the large packing tape down.

All most done!  Here, I'm folding the bottom flaps in and getting ready to tape it closed.  Short flaps first.

And that's it.  You can see in the top picture, the smaller box, ready to be filled with craftyness Grin

Let me know if this helps, or if there is anything confussing Grin

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012 07:59:52 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012 08:10:40 PM »

That's so useful!!! Thanks for sharing!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012 08:55:25 PM »

Useful and "green"!  I am guilty of saving every box to use for mailing swap items!!  Now I can make them custom!  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
plaidpineapple
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012 10:55:24 PM »

great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012 08:08:43 AM »

Oh, this is so much fancier than my slash and tape technique, ha ha! Thanks for the tute Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012 08:11:30 AM »

Fabulous!  I've turned a box inside-out before, but never cut them down.  I usually secure the tab (and sometimes the bottom flaps) with hot-glue. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012 09:07:14 AM »

Thanks everyone!  I was not sure it even made sense, so I feel better now heheh

Hot glue would work great too.  It would add more weight, but sometimes that is not an issue.  I just love tape is all Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012 07:38:49 AM »

What an awesome idea! I always feel bad about throwing out boxes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
suereal

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012 09:27:59 AM »

What an awesome idea! I always feel bad about throwing out boxes.

Me too LimeRiot.  We just moved, and I moved at least 4 boxes packed with flattened boxes (and still couldn't find one the right size..).  It's hereditary for me though.  My folks have a closet in the garage filled with nothing but empty boxes Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Frames for Text and Graphics
Adobe InDesign CS2 - The Rectangle Tool vs. the Rectangle Frame Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - When Not to Turn on Allow Pages to Shuffle
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Preview Modes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...