A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stamping onto metal and Image transfer problems, help please?  (Read 716 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tinsel
« on: March 14, 2012 07:16:50 PM »

Two problems, both caused I feel by lack of enough information in the jewellery magazine projects. Any advice is greatly appreciated as my daughter particularly wants to move forwards into stamped images on metal, wood and other materials.  Thank you in advance.

1. Transferring printed images to packing tape.  The process places the image onto the tape, image side down. Immerse in water, rub off paper with finger, image stays on tape.  Supposedly.  So far the image comes right off with the paper.  Any suggestions for how to fix this? Using very strong clear packing tape from Post Office, it's like wide sticky tape.  Images were scanned from books and printed out on regular white paper, as instructed, on best setting on our printer.  (magazine is handcrafted jewelry special issue 2011 from interweave.com pg 84) Will we have the same problem with print pieces cut from old books?

2.  Stamping onto metal prior to cutting it out to file and sand for finished project.  They say just stamp it.  Well, trying this on aluminum didn't work, despite scouring with metal wool first. Oh the image will stamp but it's incredibly faint.  They say use an ordinary stamp pad. It's too dilute. Suggestions? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012 09:15:25 AM »

It's just a hunch, but I know sometimes it makes a *huge* difference in image transfer related stuff whether you've printed on a LASER printer or an INKJET printer. Did the instructions specify?

Good luck!
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
Tinsel
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012 07:13:59 PM »

Thank you crazydoc.  We'd never thought of that and no, they don't specify which type of printer and it makes sense. I mean the ink in our printer is water based.  At this rate I think I might just use our local print shop to run off some transfers, they do plastic cling signs and all sorts of stuff. It will be less hassle, that's for sure.  You have probably solved the printer riddle. Now if I just knew how to transfer ink onto tape...maybe it's the same issue, different ink entirely in a laser printer than an inkjet.   Sheesh.  Food to think on. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012 04:25:54 PM »

As for stamping onto metal, try using Staz On ink, you may be happier with the results. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012 09:30:15 AM »

The Transfers page at my site may be of interest to your daughter and you...maybe even way more than you want  Shocked.  
http://glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
And you're right that a lot of the info out there about transferring is confusing to even wrong, or works only in certain situations a person has lucked into, etc.  

My site is primarily about polymer clay, but for the transfer techniques many of the materials, equipment and supplies will be the same as transfers done onto baked/hardened clay (or onto many other surfaces).
The info on that page has been collected over many years (though not attended to for the past few years**), so even though it's "organized" some techniques are seldom used now and substituted with better ways, and/or the info can be overlapping, etc...this is probably the biggest bear of a page I dealt with at my whole site for organizing/getting straight, correcting as new info came out, and it never got completely fixed, etc.

Two things in particular to notice and differentiate about categorizing "transfer" techniques:

1. Supplies, equipment, and execution matter:
...the type of ink matters (some techniques require "toner" which a heat-setting --plastic?-- powder used in photocopiers and laser printers; most regular printers use "ink" instead which is usually water-based and not permanent though some newer machines do use permanent inks and those will work better...for stamping inks, the pigment ones are good, but Staz-On and some other brands may work best?)
...the type of machine used matters (but that has mostly to do with toner versus ink)
...the type of paper (or other material) matters (some will hold and/or release toners and inks much more easily than others, for example)
...the technique, and how well it's done, matters though its execution is not always be the same across methods

2. There are "direct" transfers and "decal" transfers.
...decal methods result in an image embedded in or permanently on some kind of (often clear) film, that's then put onto the surface desired
......the packing tape method creates a decal, but a rather thick and not very flexible one
......there are many other ways to create decals though, some using special papers like t-shirt transfer papers, some using liquid polymer clay or other liquid mediums, and more
...direct methods result in all the toner/ink being transferred onto a surface by the end
......there are many ways to do direct transfers; some involve pressing or heat or "solvents"...some will work well on raw polymer clay, etc.

On that Transfers page, the packing tape technique is a sub-sub-category under the sub-category called Non-Liquid Clay Mediums.  It specifies the use of toner btw.
Also, if you stick to the decal methods you'll probably want to read the sub-sub-sub category in that same category called Getting the Paper Off under "Basic Instructions, Direct & Decal" as well.

(I don't know much about stamping onto metal for the most durability when it will be abraded, subjected to solvents, etc.)

** If you also want some of the info I've collected to add to that Transfers page but isn't yet there, send me a P.M. and specify transfers info.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012 09:40:38 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot New Ice Cream Made Of Bones
How to Make Puppy Love Chow
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...