A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gauge swatch questions  (Read 841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2012 04:49:27 PM »

Okay, so first, pick your knitting needles up off the floor, yes I did knit a gauge swatch.... I know, who does that, right? Tongue  Wink  Grin

Firstly, I'm making the chimera mitten patern over on Ravelry.  For the swatch it says: size 6 US needles, 22 stitches and 32rows = 4 inches.  Now, I take it that is 4 inches square?  It doesnt specify.  I ended up with a piece of fabric that is 4.5x5 inches big, when blocked, not really stretched, just flattened.  Now, if I go down a needle size, say to size 5 won't that affect the width more?  And what about the length, would it be really that affected?  Of course I some how need to loose an inch off the length.  Although if I didn't loose a whole inch I could just put in fewer rows, right, ad end up with decent mittens, as I'll be trying them on  as I go.... They mostly need to fit in the width and the length can be played with, right?
..... So that got pretty ramble, but I hope you all understand it. 

Thanks for your help, deciphering this gauge nonsense Smiley

Oh! And what about tension. If I knit it tighter is that going to affect length, or width?  Or both?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012 04:50:27 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012 05:21:02 PM »

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but when I do take the time to do a gauge swatch I always do more than what they list for the 4" square swatch. So with your example, I would be stitching at least 30 stitches for at least 35 rows before I checked the gauge. Somewhere, once upon a time, I read that that is a more accurate way of measuring the gauge in the middle of a swatch than on the exact edges. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I've always done them.

I also know that knitting tighter is going to make your gauge smaller, the stitches more dense. So far as the effects of needles on length & width & such, my logic is not working today so hopefully someone else will be more help with that. Tongue

For your situation, my first step would be to try doing a larger swatch, then start going down in needle size if it's still too large.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012 08:03:17 PM »

The aim of swatching isn't to make a 4" square, but to see how many sts you get in 4". Rows too, but they're not as important as matching the stitches, most patterns tell you to work to a measurment, not so many rows for the length, so you just knit to the measurement. Use a smaller needle, the row gauge changes far more than the stitch gauge when you go up or down a size, casting on 30 sts and knit 2-3" then measure the sts across the middle. Don't include the edges because they're a different size than the ones in the center. It can also be a good idea to wash the swatch the same way you will the finished item, some yarns stretch, some pull in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012 08:18:25 PM »

Thank you for the advice ladies! I'll pull it apart and try casting on more stitches, and checking how many stitches are in 4 inches. And I'll try with my next down set of needles, which I think is a four....  Or I borrow a set of fives... Either way I really appreciate the input.  I'm still new to this following a pattern, I usually just make scarves, and gauge and such don't overly matter when you make those. (IMHO Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012 07:49:48 PM »

Alright, I cast on 28 stitches on a size 5US needle.  I've got 23 stitches to the 4 inches.  And 15 rows in 2 inches long- I didn't have enough yarn to go a whole lot bigger then 3 inches, as I just unraveled the first swatch that I had cut off the skein. This is all unblocked, but I don't really know how one would go about blocking mittens.  I'd say that I should be good to go, right?  Will one stitch difference make that big a deal in a mitten? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012 07:49:16 AM »

To block mittens, or hats or just about anything, just wash and lay them flat to dry, unless it's a yarn that can go in the dryer. You don't need to cut your swatch yarn, just leave it attached and you can reuse it if you run short. For mittens, one stitch in 4" shouldn't make a difference, that would only be 2 sts worth for the whole thing and would only make them about " smaller, so I think you're fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012 09:36:09 AM »

The reason I did cut it was because the yarn needs to be dyed before I start the mittens, and iddn't want to go through the effort if the yarn I made wasn't going to work for the mitts.  If I had to start again, and make another yarn, and then dye it... Well, it's just easier to be sure what I'm dyeing would work.
It's 100% BFL, so I'll give that a try, wash and lay flat. 
Thank you for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Asian Buffalo Wings
How to Make Sautéed Orange Chicken
Easy Homemade Chinese Dumplings
How to Make American Sushi
Braised Bean Sprouts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...