A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross Stitch Jewelry (picture heavy)  (Read 2858 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cloverlilly
« on: March 13, 2012 09:53:56 AM »

Hi, there are going to be a few projects in this post and I hope posting it here is alright. I do see them as needlework as much as if not more than jewelry.

Most are cross stitched on 28 to 32 count canvas or linen. Having cross stitched for years I've always hated that when they are done you put them on the wall and that's it, maybe make a bookmark out of them but I wanted to have a way for my friends, family and myself to show off my work. Hence my cross stitching becoming jewelry Smiley  I've yet to find the perfect thing to seal them with, right now I'm using a dry clean friendly Tacky brand glue, so that if something does happen and it gets wet it won't just fall to bits. I do make my own patterns due to the small sizes of the bezels I use, though I will use pictures or patterns for ideas or help if I get stuck while making one.

My apologies a head of time that some of the photos are crappy. Phone and Ipad pictures....sad things....  Cry

Pacman cuff link sets. I made them to be a mix and match kind of thing.

Mustache cufflinks

Star Wars Death Star keychain (made for a friends brothers birthday and it's sealed with an epoxy dome, though I haven't been having much luck with those)

My own little twist on the valentine heart candys

Mario brothers Venus flytrap key chain (made for a friends birthday, it was still drying as I drove to his party.)

A bird done for the old fashion romance swap. (I hate that I didn't get better pictures of this one, it was the hardest thing to part with I've ever made.)

A mustache necklace (a friends Christmas gift, again wish I had a better picture  Cry )

A set of wings with a hallo done for the supernatural Christmas swap. (this one is half stitched, I loved how it made it look like real feathers. I also stitched with both colors at the same time, one strand of black and one strand of pink. Don't know why I never thought to do it before!)

An antique bike keychain (made for my cousin who is crazy about biking. It's set in one of those make your own photo keychain keychains, which worked much better than I thought it would)

And the swan that I made for this months challenge (which has been worn around my neck since finishing)

I've made more, and I could kick myself for not getting pictures of them before sending them off. The first ones I did were Christmas gifts for a church younge adult party, and people have yet to take pictures of them for me haha but it's made me better about taking my own.

So if you've gotten this far, thanks for looking and maybe even reading my inane chatter. Any comments are welcome, as are suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012 10:02:42 AM »

Wow! These are so neat and wonderfully original! They would be really fun to wear. I especially like the old-timey bicycle Smiley. I've never even seen 32 count aida but it must be teeny tiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Helena Puck
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012 10:23:26 AM »

Beautiful job! It's fun finding new ways to use cross stitch that wall art and bookmarks. I've struggled finding the perfect sealer too. I've had luck using plastic or acrylic covers over pendants and brooches. Decoupage has worked well on scrabble tiles. It leaves the edges stiff. Using finished designs as fabric covers work well too as long as the fabric is thin enough and you can use the buttons for lots of things, barrettes, rings, pendants. I like your designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012 10:38:28 AM »

Wow, they're all so awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012 11:30:39 AM »

Oh!  Can you please tell me where you got the patterns for the Pac Man and Star Wars?  I am just starting in cross stitch and am a little tired of flowers... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiem
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012 01:01:57 PM »

Oh. mygawd.  Do you have an etsy?  Because I would buy the crap out of some of those.  My bf and his brother would love love love the SW key chain or the Pac-Man 'links.

Your talents amaze me - cross stitch was my first craft, but I've never done anything as tiny on such high count aida before.  I'm so impressed!  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cloverlilly
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012 01:57:33 PM »

Thank you all so much!!! Grin Coming from people people who cross stitch it's an amazing compliment.

The 32 count isn't technically an Aida, I think that only goes to 22 or 24. I didn't know anything smaller 28 was made either till I was in a hole in the wall craft store and found some 30(which was blue of all things!). The 32 is a punch linen I found at hobby lobby, it was new and with the felting supplies. It's heaver than normal canvas which is nice when working in such small bits! And than I've also found a 32 that's almost a burlap.

Helena- I've tried mod podge but wanted something differnt because it's water soluble. I like the idea of plastic, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Dewshinesdopp- I make my patterns but I know you can google them and find some. If I didn't sell my stuff I would give them to you. Hope to see some awesome geeky cross stitches!

Cassiem- I do have one, I'm fairly certain the link to it is on my profile. If not send me a note and I'll pass it along. I don't have the star wars one on my etsy but would be happy to do it again, I was so happy I could tell what it was when I was done lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012 02:51:54 PM »

Those are so great! LOVE the mustaches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MonstersUnderYourBed
Oh you handsome devil.

Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012 10:51:15 PM »

These are FANTASTIC!  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."
yarnynerd
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012 01:32:20 PM »

I love the mustache ones!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap anyone?

I may not know everything, but I do know a lot.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Long Hairstyles for Fall 2010
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
How to Get Christina Hendricks’s Emmys Hairstyle
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Hair Straightening Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...