A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Pair of Crocheted Socks!  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: March 12, 2012 04:10:31 PM »

They're DONE! Cheesy I've been working on this pair of socks for a while, because I didn't put 100% of my focus into them, and I had to pause on them for a bit to finish a different project. As of the 10th, they're finally done! Just a couple days after my Birthday, so I'm declaring them a gift to myself.

I used this pattern at Ravelry called Turkish Origami Socks. Of course, I had to change the pattern in a few ways to make myself happy with it. It's made cuff down and worked flat. However, that means that if you don't have enough yarn, you'll run out at the heel. I don't like the idea of being in the middle of a project and hitting a point of "OMG I NEED to run out to the store and buy more of this exact yarn to finish!" To remove that high possibility, I worked the pattern backwards, starting at the heel. Then I sewed them up right after finishing the top of the foot before I got to the leg, and worked the leg in the round. I did the crunch stitch for the leg as well, but since it was worked in the round instead of flat, it doesn't stretch the same way the crunch stitch in the foot does. That's right: the crunch stitch in the foot STRETCHES! I even got to wear them to my parents' house (which is always ridiculously cold) and they kept my feet super warm. These are surely one of the warmest pairs of socks I own.

To sum up: these socks were a massive success and I'm super stoked. The next pair I make will be following the same pattern and will be with a beautiful purple alpaca yarn for my sweetie. I have to do a test swatch of the yarn first to make sure it will work okay for socks, but I'm feeling pretty positive about it. Then I will probably try a toe up method that involves the crunch stitch, since I like it so much. Smiley

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, they totally fit in my shoes! I wear tennis shoes, nothing fancy, but they fit snugly in and keep my toesies nice and cozy! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012 04:13:32 PM by ADDCrafting » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012 07:09:59 PM »

Love your yarn color! Congrats on your cute socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
kimadagem
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012 08:45:57 AM »

They are beautiful - both the stitch patterns and the colors. And that's cool that they stretch (or at least part of them does) - that's the only issue I've had with the ones I've made. In fact, I'm remaking a pair I did for my mother because I had trouble getting them on her feet - she's 93 and in a wheelchair and I was worried the tightness would be bad for her circulation (I've added more stitches to compensate this time around). I think I'll have to look into that crunch stitch... it does sound familiar, it may be in one of my pattern books.

I've only ever made one pair of socks flat and they were knitted. Were the seams hard to get to lie flat?

You did a great job with these. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the purple alpaca ones Smiley

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012 08:51:15 AM »

I just checked out the pattern on Ravelry. It looks like a really good way to start with crocheted socks, especially with the heel part - that's what I've found so challenging working in the round. And I think maybe this would be an easy pattern to redo if the sole wears out - you'd just remake that part. A very clever idea.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
ADDCrafting
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012 10:42:18 AM »

They are beautiful - both the stitch patterns and the colors. And that's cool that they stretch (or at least part of them does) - that's the only issue I've had with the ones I've made. In fact, I'm remaking a pair I did for my mother because I had trouble getting them on her feet - she's 93 and in a wheelchair and I was worried the tightness would be bad for her circulation (I've added more stitches to compensate this time around). I think I'll have to look into that crunch stitch... it does sound familiar, it may be in one of my pattern books.

I've only ever made one pair of socks flat and they were knitted. Were the seams hard to get to lie flat?

You did a great job with these. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the purple alpaca ones Smiley

Meg

Thanks!

There are other versions of the crunch stitch, I have recently learned. The one used here is with single and double crochet stitches. I'm actually trying a pair in the round now, but the main foot portion will be with the crunch stitch worked back and forth, turning each round.

I was afraid the stitching wouldn't be all that comfortable, as some of the spots ended up kinda bulky after going back over the seam, but everything flattens out and fits wonderfully on my feet. The whip stitch (at least I think I did a whip stitch) allows the top and bottom to move just enough in the seam to lie flat, edge to edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Food Photography
CNET.Com: Create a Time Lapse Video
How to Build a Picavet for Balloon Photography
7 Items for Awesome Lighted Photos
Home Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...