A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does this tea taste "funny"?  (Read 2975 times)
Tags for this thread: tea_wallet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2012 02:14:54 PM »

So I made this tea wallet for my partner in the Grimm Swap. It was my first time making one, and I used Missing Willow's tutorial for inspiration, but changed a few things along the way.

The main thing was that I wanted to have fabric with my partner's (and mine!) favourite character Monroe's best one-liners (although there have been more since then). So I made an 8x10 document on Word with all of the lines I wanted to use, then I ironed white cotton fabric onto freezer paper and cut it out to the standard paper size, ran it through my printer, and then ironed freezer paper onto the front of the fabric and peeled it off (to seal the ink in). It turned out pretty good actually! I used that fabric for the two pockets inside the tea wallet.

You can see some of my fave lines in this pic: "What? Did you just get the books tonight?" and "I get it. Be cool. Wear pants."

The outside was a funky teal fabric I had on hand which I fused some fleece to the back of in order to give it some stiffness. Put the tea wallet together in the normal manner but instead of doing a button and a loop, I ran a length of ribbon along the back of it. It got stitched down with the topstitching around the edge of the tea wallet, and the stitch line down the center. I sealed the ends of the ribbon so it won't fray and used it to tie a lovely bow to close the tea wallet up.

Now - being as my name is TEAmama, I certainly couldn't send the tea wallet empty. So I included 3 bags of my own homemixed tea blends: Grandmother's house, Hunstmans' blend, and Morning in the Meadow.

C&C Welcome and appreciated!
Thanks,
Tea.

ETA: there is slightly more info re: the design process of the cape & tea wallet on my blog: link in the signature.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012 05:38:52 AM by Teamama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012 03:02:14 PM »

I love the way you did the fabric on the inside and thank you soooo much for explaining so that I can have a go: Cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012 05:23:35 PM »

You've gotta try it! I was a little over-excited when I finally got to the point of having enough nerve to print on the fabric. And it turned out so crisp too! Awesome!

I think if you are using it for something that's going to get washed a LOT you should probably set the ink with vinegar or something of that nature, but for something like a tea-wallet, heat sealing the ink with the freezer paper is probably enough. PLUS it makes for a slightly more water/scent/etc resistant fabric which is nice when you're putting tea in it. Don't want the flavours to meld between teas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012 07:00:53 PM »

Howdy Teamama!

Newbie to Craftster, lurked forever but just became a joiner!

I have a question about this project. When you say "freezer paper" is that the same as a wax paper or is this something entirely different. I've seen others mention this as well but didn't know if there was a difference.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

47 different personalities and a craft for each one! Wink
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012 08:07:47 PM »

Hey! No, freezer paper and wax paper are NOT the same thing. Freezer paper is like butcher paper. It's paper on one side, and similar to wax paper on the other. But because it's only waxy on one side you can iron it without destroying your iron, run it through your printer, etc etc. You can usually find it in a specialty grocer, and the brand Reynold's (like Reynold's wrap) makes it. If you can't find any in your stores, you could always ask a butcher if they can spare any butcher paper. Usually butcher grade is brown (not white like Reynold's brand) but it's the same stuff. Good luck finding it!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012 08:45:39 PM »

Wow - I just read my last response and it sounded really snippy. Sorry! Sad

I just want to be clear though not to try and use wax paper like freezer paper - I don't want you to ruin your iron!

Hope I was helpful, I really wasn't trying to be snippy. Yikes!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012 03:58:44 AM »

No, I toadally did not take that as snippy at all! I get what you're saying about not ruining my iron and I greatly appreciate the heads up! Actually, I have heard of butcher paper but guess I never realized it was waxed! Smiley I have plenty of resources for that in my area, just never put 2+2 together on the names! Thanks so much for the reply and the help! Looking forward to creating some "wordy" fabric in the near future for some journal/notebook covers! Very awesome idea and it turned out so crisp and easy to read! All smiles here! Thanks again!

Oh! And btw...your tea blends sound yummy!!! Turning on the kettle now!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012 04:03:52 AM by ToadallyDee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012 05:44:05 AM »

Okay I'm glad. You know how you write something and then read it again and think - who do you THINK you ARE!? Yikes! That's kind of how I felt. No lead up - just Hey, No. So, sorry about that.

The tea is one of my little passions. I'm kind of a tea-snob. But, to be fair, it's one of the small luxuries I allow myself in a life of being mom, wife, worship leader, bus driver, craftsperson, etc etc etc for everyone else. But home tea blends can be SO simple if you're ever interested in trying it out for yourself! The 3 blends mentioned there are:

Grandmother's house: just 3 black teas blended together: Ceylon, Assam and Kenyan
Hunstman's blend: Ceylon black tea blended with grenadine and vanilla
Morning in the Meadow: green tea with dried strawberry and pomegranite. SO yummy. Smiley

I usually brew my tea loose at home, not in bags, so a tea wallet isn't entirely practical for ME personally, but it was still nice to make for the swap.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012 07:02:39 AM »

How cool to see my tutorial was used as inspiration for this project.  I LOVE the idea of using freezer paper to add text to fabric.  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012 07:07:19 AM »

Teamama - I know what you're saying, but nah, it's all good! As to the "woman of many hats" I think it's only appropriate to have our little personal treasures (whatever they may be)...so "snob" away!! Thanks again for the advice...and for making my mouth water with those yummy blends I may have to try my hand at!! You have an awesome day!

MissingWillow - You have a full tute?! Would you mind pointing me in its direction so I can bookmark it and find it when I get ready to start my project? Pretty please!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Graham Cracker Crust
Hot and Spicy Grill Rub
Montreal Steak Spice Recipe
Cajun Spice Rub Recipe
Maine Lobster Salad with Chef Andrew Masciangelo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...