A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Updates!! (Crafting up a storm for my wedding)  (Read 5938 times)
Tags for this thread: duct_tape_crafts , duct_tape , wedding_dress , draping , pattern_making  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snuffles
« on: March 12, 2012 12:57:55 PM »

July 22.... Hello again, another update... I'm making progress on my wedding dress at last. Here's a pic!

I have to draft the skirt yet, this one is just draped to get a general idea. Also have to finish the veil of course. But apart from finishing details, the bodice is done and fits even better on me than on the dress-form. I even put in boning, a first for me. 

July 03.....
Update!
Yes, always one to leave things to the last minute, here I am with less than 60 days left and I am still working on very basic organization details of my wedding. However, I am making some progress on the dress, and I'd love some feedback on my design so far.

I originally was going to make a mock-up of the dress with an old sheet and some lace curtains, and then make the real one out of real lace and maybe some silk. Alas, I hate the only sewing store in town (has not a single piece of silk in the whole, large, place and everything is like $20 a yard), so I have decided it is more my style anyway to make my actual wedding dress out of that very same lace curtain and bed sheet! First off I dyed the sheet a pale, pinky-brown with tea, and I really like how it came out, especially in combination with the white lace.

So the dress is going to be tea-length, with three-quarter length lace sleeves and a lace overlay over the bodice, creating an illusion neckline. Details of the shape of the neckline are being hashed out--and I would like advice!! At the moment I have a scoop in the front and am playing with a deep V in the back. Underneath will be a simple sweetheart neckline. Here is the bodice draped on my dressform:

And on me (without the underlying strapless cotton bodice that will be there in the finished dress:

The extra seam in the middle is because this is just a practice version and it has been heavily modified.

What do you think? Should I go with the V back, or should I simply make a scoop like the front? How about the front neckline? Should it be a different shape? Square, boat, v? Also, I have yet to tackle the skirt. I am thinking it will be a six-panel skirt, fitted to the hip, then with a generous flare. Should I have a petticoat? Would LOVE advice, since I can't show it to my fiancee or it will spoil the fun!

Finally, because I am proud, here is how I made the patterns, and my first ever self-drafted paper patterns. Got the book at the library and read it cover to cover!

Thanks!

Hi Folks,
I've been stalking the clothing and wedding boards for a while now, getting inspiration for making my own wedding dress, and all kinds of other diy wedding things. I'm pretty blown away by everyone's talent!

So, I'm getting married on Aug 25th, which is--yikes--less than 6 months away! I am planning on making my own dress, a vest for my partner, and perhaps (if I feel ambitious) bridesmaids' dresses. Also, we are in the throes of making and sending out wedding invitations (about 90 of them). We're planning to decorate the town hall we're having dinner in, and roasting a pig for dinner. It's going to be fun!

So far I have made myself a duct tape dress form, and I'm in the process of trying to learn how to drape a bodice on it. Here is the dress form:
(let me know if that photo worked, I'm new here)

Today, I am printing my wedding invitations. It was a collaboration between me and my partner, who is a better artist than I am. We designed the invitation in postcard form together, then he carved the image into lino. After several modifications to get it to print properly, I relief-printed it onto marbled cardstock, that had the address for our website printed on the back. I'm super proud of how these came out. Here are some of them... more need to be printed:
Here is a closer look. I love the colours.

The image is based off a photo of us a friend took.

This is my assembly line. I used my rolling pin to roll over them to print the image nice and clearly.

We are going to mail them in envelopes with the addresses type-written on them with our old typewriter. I like the combination of low- and high-tech.
Thanks for looking. I'll post more once I have done more things...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012 07:12:36 AM by snuffles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012 02:40:31 PM »

I love those. Lino printing your own invites is so unusual and charming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012 02:43:21 PM »

Love those invites!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012 03:56:38 PM »

What an awesome idea! The fact that you made them makes them so much more personal. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
KirBee

Attic light is always on

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012 05:50:36 PM »

What A GREAT IDEA! I think its even more special that you both worked on it together Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012 07:55:34 PM »

What A GREAT IDEA! I think its even more special that you both worked on it together Smiley
Ditto!  You're already a team!  Nice work - lovely invitations!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
ivoryh1632
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012 10:35:30 PM »

Wow, good luck with getting everything done in time! Looks like you've got a nice handle on things though.

The invitations are gorgeous, love the methods you're using.

I have to ask, how did you make the stand for your dress form? I have one I made but couldn't come up with a way I liked to make a stand so before I stuffed it with newspaper I stuck a hanger up the neck hole so I can hang it from the shower curtain rod. But your stand looks really nice and simple and practical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012 06:19:27 AM »

Very cool invites! Lovely color & design!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
snuffles
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012 03:27:59 PM »

I have to ask, how did you make the stand for your dress form? I have one I made but couldn't come up with a way I liked to make a stand so before I stuffed it with newspaper I stuck a hanger up the neck hole so I can hang it from the shower curtain rod. But your stand looks really nice and simple and practical.
Thanks for the complements. I also put in a coat hanger so that I could hang up the body if I wanted to. But then I stuffed it with old clothing so it ended up very heavy and distorted the shoulders when suspended by the hanger. So basically I made a T shape out of 2x2 boards, with the crossbar of the T inside the shoulders. At the bottom of the upright piece, I just made a cross by notching two shorter pieces of wood, and nailed the upright piece into the cross. It's a bit wobbly, but it does the job. Hope that makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012 04:24:30 PM »

Your invites are fantastic! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
How to Draw a Basic Manga Mouth
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...