A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: World Craft Federation Championship belt! Let's get ready to RUM BAAAAALLLLL!  (Read 1829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 10, 2012 04:37:56 PM »

I am very good at making things that are hard to figure out where they go...This might get moved Grin

OKies...so what do you do if you get paired with a craftster legend?  You stalk them.  craftsters!  The only place where stalking is a GOOD thing Grin  Well...I got paired up with Knickertwist (and she was the org...*giggle*) for the Important SOB swap.   I was lucky enough to find out soon in my stalking mode that she and I shared a mutual affection for old school wrestling (Long Live Iron Mike Sharp!!  The best ham and egger ever).  Well, since she is clearly a world champion, it was not hard to figure out she needed a belt....

It is made from craft foam, cardboarded, craft foam letters from the dollar store (I put them on 2 layers thick, so they would stand out from the background just a bit more), a belt from my Hub, felt, hot applied gems, Martha Stewart paints in flat black, gold, silver, and glitter(best paint ever!  I read that if you use regular craft paint, you will need to seal the foam first with modpodge, or some glue water mix.  But the MS paint was wicked!) (I use Weldbond for sealing things...LOVE it too),  some trim for the edges and my attack glue gun (not the cute little one that makes me go OOps when I touch it.  I mean the one that makes me go .  SO keep a glass of ice water near by if you try this....

So..the tut...I didn't take any progress pics..I thought about it...but it never really happened *blush*.  So....what I did as best as I remember...  I got the letters first.  And I bought 2 pages of craft foam while I was at the dollar store too.  I then measured the letters, and sort of worked out how long the words would be that I wanted on the belt, on a piece of paper.  I organized it out so that it could be read as World Craft Federation, OR World Federation Craft Champion...I couldn't decided Grin.  I sketched right on the craft foam where I thought they should go.  I set them all out before I started to take the sticky back off.  I ended up not liking how they were placed on the sheet of CF, so I cut them out of that sheet and glued the new word bars onto another piece with my trusty yet vicious glue gun.  I used my Hubs work belt that had  gotten crushed in the back.  I washed it in the W.Machine and ironed it out.  Then I took the MS paint and painted the edges with the pearl purple and used the satin black to patch some of the worn black areas.  I cut out the geebered part of the belt.  I glued the belt to the cardboard backing, with a bit of cardboard the same width of the belt in the middle, to make up for the cut bit of belt.  I cut the shape of the belt from the prepared foam, using a piece of paper folded in 1/2, to work out the shape.  I made sure to leave a bit of a space outside the letters, for space for the trim..okies..I gotta say it!! GIMP!  It's called gimp Grin..sorry that all ways makes me laugh Grin (I don't actually think the type of trim I used is called gimp..but it does make me laugh all the same Grin)...okies..now where was I...Then glue gun the prepared letter sheet to the cardboard square, lining up the belt edges with the edges of the foam sheet.  I used allot of hot glue for this, as I wanted to make it as durable as possible.  I trimmed the cardboard after it cooled, to the size of the foam sheet.  Shoot the back of the cardboard with as much glue as you feel necessary and apply the sheet of felt.  Trim that to fit.  Then search your trim stash (or go buy some) for something that will fit the edge.  I used a bit of trim I had that A. fit the edge perfectly, and B. was just the right size around.  Measure the belt before you go shopping if you don't have something that will work.  I hot glued that to the edge, using a silicone baking finger cover that I got at the dollar store, to smooth the glue as I went along.  It needed a bit more, so I used a hot gem glue applicator to apply the gold studs.  I also thought to add the scissors as a craftster nod.  The wee screw is a brad Grin

I'm pretty sure it made her feel like a champion..which she is Grin

Thanks for looking Grin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012 04:45:14 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
amelie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012 04:46:44 PM »

This is hilarious, I love the idea and it looks really fantastic! All the details are great, and I think adding the scissors was a good touch. I bet Knickertwist was thrilled!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012 05:25:15 PM »

Can you smellllllll what sureal is cooking?

Anyone that doesn't think this is awesome is in for a whole new world of hurt. The rivets are fantastic, amaaaaazing!

If I received something like this I would totally hang it up over my door. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012 05:33:43 PM »

That's crazy good. Seriously, I heard she wore it to the bus stop 'cause she didn't want to take it off, lol. Awesomeness
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012 05:45:00 PM »

Hope she didn't have to body slam anyone....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012 09:00:28 PM »

Now THAT is a freaking belt Cheesy I think I need to make one to wear around town lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012 01:53:27 AM »

This is FABULOUS suereal! I love the awesome idea in the first place and the amazing result- I can't believe it's felt and foam and cardboard! When I saw the picture, I was sure you had riveted actual metal letters to it! That Martha Steward sure knows her paints Grin I am a little envious of knickertwist getting to walk around with that, but then again, with my body, there's no way I could pull off any such belt. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012 07:03:43 PM »

AWESOME! I want one!

I, too, am a wrestling fan. Old and new school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012 06:16:14 PM »

Cannot believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I'm so proud to own this belt. It is completely EPIC and I think I might have to wear it to my next art council meeting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make String Lamp Shades
How to Comb Paint to Make Patterns
Handcrafted Cards Using Cookie Cutter Stencils
How to Make An Oversized Ironing Board
How to Use Preserved Roses
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...