A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!!! Awful Wood Panneling, cannot paint!!!  (Read 1625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005 11:58:14 AM »

you could always go for the harem tent type effect. you would need lots of fabric, though. but you could fasten long (we're talking 15-20 feet, i'd guess, depending on how much you'd like it to swag at the top) pieces of fabric to the center of the ceiling, then swag the material to create a blousy drape, staple it to where the ceiling and wall meet, then let the rest just hang down. the finished effect looks cool, and when all covered, the ceiling actually looks like the top of a tent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005 12:29:33 PM »

oh lordy...i'm getting flashbacks of my parent's kitchen in the 80's...and believe me, painting it doesn't help that much.

I think you should embrace the pure cheese of it all - there's a bar here in the Lower East Side that is one of my favorites. It's called "Welcome to the Johnson's" and it's totally done up in 70's den-style: wood-paneling, gold-flecked mirror, tons of framed family portraits, plastic covered couches, glass tzotchkes (sp?), etc...just go down to salvation army and pick out some cheap stuff to accentuate the glory of it all...

if this is totally not your thing, just buy some fabric and stretch it like a canvas to make fabric panels that you can hang on the wall....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennyw
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005 12:43:43 PM »

I'm also a member of the wood paneling club, but ours is in the kitchen, which makes draping cloth A Very Bad Idea. Instead, I've tried to tack up nature-themed postcards and art to embrace the woodsy-ness of it.

My boyfriend, the sicko, likes the paneling and wouldn't let me talk to the landlord about painting it over, sigh ... I'm just glad we don't live on the other half of the duplex -- they have paneling on their entire first floor.

Oh, and Welcome to the Johnsons is great -- I've gone there a few times when visiting friends in NYC. Great theme and cheap (even by my Ohio standards) beer.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005 02:25:37 PM by jennyw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dixie_duck
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005 02:23:18 PM »

i have the same problem but the hole house is that DARK crap and being 16 and  gonna live hear 4 a while longer  i thought about sanding the finish off and then calking the gaps in between each peace  is ther a ezer way  and if so can s/o plz plz plz let me konw
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lau
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005 04:22:19 PM »

When I was a kid I used to love reading my parent's Terrence Conran's New House Book Roll Eyes, and there was someone who had draped a massive white silk parachute from the middle of their ceiling, and then tacked it up to the edges of the ceiling, and let it all hang down. The fan shaped bits of the parachute made it look really stylish. Unless you're lucky enough to find a silk parachute, which I admit is unlikely, you could make one out of muslin or curtain lining fabric or something. The shape looked really stylish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese food elements - fon and choy plus yin and yang
Make very basic seasoning, special Chinese sauce and food
Stir fry and Blanching - Chinese Cooking Techniques
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make a Stir Fry Meal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...