A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nice Crocheted Socks??  (Read 1406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: January 24, 2012 01:37:00 PM »

After sitting in a yarn shop for a while staring at their pretty sock yarn, I developed a strong desire to make my own socks. There are LOADS of patterns for knitting socks, but finding a decent pattern for crocheting socks seems to be near impossible, unless you want to pay a bunch of money. I really want a pattern that puts things in terms like "make a chain that is 2/3 the width of the ball of your foot" and "continue increasing until it's to the width of your foot" instead of exact stitch counts. Every yarn and foot is different, and I'm more of an inches person than a stitch person. I found one that was pretty good (had places where it allowed for adjustments based on your foot, "X stitches or until it fits"), but it's for bulky yarn and the heel came out really awful.

There was a "sock recipe" in a crochet magazine at one store, but I didn't want to pay for the whole magazine if I was only going to use the sock pattern, and I'm not sure that I'll even like the pattern after paying for it.

I bought some cheap sock yarn to try a new pair with, but I'm having trouble finding a pattern that I can connect with. And everyone seems to say that crocheted socks are not going to be as nice as knitted socks. Any advice? Has anyone here made crocheted socks? Do you like them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
HaKurama
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012 03:11:47 PM »

If you have a Ravelry account, I'd suggest looking on there - they have so many free patterns, not just for socks.  Smiley
There is a free pattern called http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/origami-turkish-socks that is crocheted flat and to the measurements of your foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ADDCrafting
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012 11:18:54 AM »

There is a free pattern called http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/origami-turkish-socks that is crocheted flat and to the measurements of your foot.

Whoah... That's kinda neat... I was looking for seamless ones, but I'll definitely have to try those, as well as hunting down some others on Ravelry. I did find this pattern eventually: http://www.crazycoley.net/2009/01/basic-crochet-sock.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HaKurama
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012 10:55:30 AM »

Ah, that's a good choice. I only chose the origami socks because I wanted to practice some Tunisian crochet.   Wink
I can vouch that the pattern works, although Tunisian crochet isn't the best option for it - still wearable, but save the Tunisian crochet for the heels and toes! It can be too thick for the main body of the sock for my liking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ADDCrafting
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012 11:02:03 AM »

Of course, the more I looked at those turkish socks, the more I like them. They're the most appealing pattern I found on Ravelry, so I'm trying them first. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HaKurama
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012 01:05:14 PM »

I have to say, they are a nice introduction to making socks.
Just got to warn you, though, they can mess up self-striping sock yarns - since the finished socks won't always have the stripes matching up on the top and the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Willowe
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012 09:53:24 AM »

I made socks using this pattern before: http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/89746.aspx It's pretty straightforward, but make sure to read the comments because there are some corrections in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
kimadagem
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012 04:08:37 PM »

I have made two pairs of crocheted toe-up socks and just started a third pair (no pattern, I just made it up as I went along). I have to say, the only hard part was the heel turn; I still don't have that down. But the rest went quickly - much more quickly than knitting - and was really easy. They are fairly thick, which is what I like, so if you don't you'd have to use really thin yarn. But other than that, I think they work just as well as knitted socks.

The only thing I would suggest is to work fairly tightly and make sure you don't have any holes, like on the sides of the heel. Those will be the first places to wear. (Guess how I know this Smiley )

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
ADDCrafting
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012 10:15:05 PM »

I thought I'd come back to this discussion to say that I'm almost done with my first pair of socks (I haven't focused on them 100%, so they're taking much longer than I expected). I've modified the pattern for the Turkish Origami socks so that I end at the leg, and I'm working the leg in the round instead of flat. I am using a self-striping yarn, but I don't care that the stripes on the bottom of my foot don't match up with the stripes on the top of my foot. (Who's going to see them that will judge?) I've had the chance to try them on in my shoes and they totally fit! They are thicker than most of my socks, but that's what I wanted to get out of making my own socks. Now I just have to decide how long I want the legs and I'll be done soon and pictures will be posted! Woot!

The next pair I make will be for my honey using the same pattern, since I know it works well. (I really liked that when my guage got bigger I could do some decreases and not stress over changing the stitch count.) Then I might try a toe-up joined row kind of technique. I like the crunch stitch used in the pattern, and to be stretchy it needs to be worked back and forth. I'll probably have to practice a short row heel over and over on spare yarn before I start those. However, that will be another adventure!

Thanks for all your help Craftsters!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012 04:14:54 PM »

THEY'RE DONE!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

---> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=405519.0 <---
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
Explore the Pacific Northwest in a New Novel by Garth Stein
How to Identify the Foil in a Novel
Book Summery of Huckleberry Finn
Book Summery of Tom Sawyer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...