A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
313 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern Fitting/HOW to use Simplicity 2947? And others..  (Read 1078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2012 06:53:55 PM »

So Jo-Annes had a sale on Simplicity patterns. I bought 4. I mean.. they were two bucks EACH. So cheap.

I decided that since I have not used a real life pattern in ages that I should make a muslin first. I'm fairly smart sometimes. I'm making view A of this pattern. It's a long halter top sun dress.
I'm using an old cotton bedsheet.

I've decided to cut out the size that fits with my largest bits (bust and hips) and then adjust the waist. Is this the best way to go with this? I'm a fat hourglass, if that helps.

My final fabric is a cotton, light fabric with minimal stretch. I can add zippers or ties if needed to get the ease in, yes? I had sort of planned to just leave plenty of ease in the final garment and add a tie in the back for the waist...it seemed like all the patterns were for knits but I prefer other fabrics!

And lastly, the actual pattern itself. The directions are not that clear. It looks like the bodice is cut out twice.. and then the piece that you cut out with the pattern paper on backwards is then 'flipped' and used to line the bust?

What do I do with the dots? Make holes? Mark with pencil?

I also bought 2416, 2634 and 2917..anyone make these? And is it me or is the fabric requirements high for the tiered skirt and shirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012 01:37:00 PM »

No one..? I've watched youtube videos/read websites on patterns.. and I'm about to just wing it.

I was just hoping someone else had made this one is all! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012 03:58:21 PM »

I haven't made any of these patterns, but I think I can answer your non-pattern specific questions.
Yes, you should cut the mock-up to your largest measurements then adjust for the ones that are smaller. Things are easier to make smaller than larger.
Using a woven fabric with a pattern made for a knit can be difficult. Sometimes the clothes won't hang correctly. Patterns for knit also have less ease so watch out for that - cutting it to your size might not be enough, you might need it to be bigger and you most likely will need a zipper or buttons to get in and out (since a knit would let you just slip the clothes on but a woven usually won't). You can measure the actual pattern pieces at key points (bust, waist, hips), subtract seam allowances, and see if the finished piece will have enough ease compared to your actual measurements.
Mark the dots that are on the pattern with chalk or pencil on your fabric. They're to help you match placement of things, tell you where to gather, etc.
The fabric requirements seem a little high, but they're probably about right. The tiered skirt is cut with a ton of curved pieces, which uses more fabric than straight pieces would, and the top has gathering plus full sleeves. Sleeves especially eat up a lot more fabric than you'd expect. If you're not sure, you can cut out the pattern pieces before buying fabric and lay them out on the floor in a rectangle as wide as standard fabric, then measure how long the rectangle is to see how much fabric you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012 10:37:48 PM »

I ended up cutting the pattern to the biggest size... this way I can play with how it fits/lays in a non-knit. It's just a simple halter top dress. I'm hoping it will work in non-knit! (Mostly because I have this awesome fabric...but also because decent knits are an arm and a leg here.)

And if needed.. I have buttons, zippers and all the fixings.

Thanks for the explanation of the dots. And for all the use of the fabric.
I've never made sleeves... and I've never made a dress with anything but straight bits.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012 10:38:22 PM by katsrevenge » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012 05:40:01 AM »

Have a look at the reviews on http://sewing.patternreview.com for these patterns - they're often very helpful and can give you the heads up on potential problems and pitfalls
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mai Britt

"leave me alone - I'm making me rum and noodles"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012 04:08:35 PM »

This one also looks really great.

http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/resizing_vintage_patterns.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...