A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else have Sewing OCD? :-[  (Read 2699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012 08:08:13 PM »

I have "hints" of OCD too. I recognized it at about age eleven, before I knew the term for it. It felt bad, so I fought against it as hard as I could. Now it mostly manifests itself as a minor compulsion to check the setting on my alarm clock multiple times whenever I set it and a couple of other little things like that that--until I posted this--noone but my husband knows I do. Having to count things can aggravate this tendency, which affects my yarn crafting; one of the reasons I prefer knitting to crochet is that, for me, there's a lot more counting in crocheting than knitting.

Perfectionism reared its ugly head even younger. I chalk that up partly to temperament and partly to my mother--repeatedly hearing "You can't do that, you'll just mess it up", "No, you can't help, you won't do it right" can give a child an exaggerated sense of the magnitude of doing things imperfectly.

I've noticed I can finish sewing projects a lot faster when I'm doing something on my own, rather than with a pattern, because, even though I'm smart enough to figure things out on my own, if there are instructions I feel compelled to read them and then to reread every single step as I go along to make sure I'm not making a mistake. This is not fun. Sooo...thinking out loud here, I guess I should be doing more things out of my own head or from generalized tutorials, rather than with step-by-step instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012 09:54:58 PM »

Thinking a little more about this, I remembered something from a blog I enjoy reading, where the author, "sarah in nyc", says that "I know that lots of people take sewing clothing as a serious endeavor. I dont. For me, making a garment is a little like doing a doodle, but in fabric." And elsewhere she talks about thinking of your sewing as a work in progress that you can change later. You know, this is probably the sort of attitude I should be cultivating. Sewing is just another kind of playing or doodling. You can't doodle wrong. And if you don't like your doodle you can change it, no biggie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Bat Quilt Block
Moon and Star Quilt Block
Blue Jean Quilt
Cutting Half-Square Triangles
How to Make Custom Lamp Shades
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...