A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday, March 9, 2012  (Read 3963 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2012 05:44:11 AM »

Hey it's friday!  and I was procraftinating! lol  I was reading and watching the video in Spin Art, and couldn't not break out some fibre, for fun that is.

semi autowrapped, sort of kindof... It was really hard not to help the threads along... Silk, wrapped with thread.

thin/thick thread wrapped silk by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

thin/thick thread wrapped silk by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And this was on the bobbin from ages ago, and I have no idea way on eart I was spinning so thin!  It's the same silk as above.  it's chain plied, and it's nearly lace weight, and in some places cobweb... Shocked  was I going crazy?

lace weight silk - chain plied by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

lace weight silk - chain plied by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And I'll share this pic here too, as who doesn't love seeing fluffy BFL locks, all ready to be preped for spining.   This is part of my homework.  I'm spinning a worsted BFL and hoping it's about the right weight to get guage for Chimera mittens (on Rav).... And if it's not, then I guess I try again... Undecided

lots and lots of BFL by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012 06:08:40 AM »

That first pic is lovely, Bella! Sounds divine, too. And FLUFF! I think there are very few people who would get excited about that, but I know several of them are on here will be posting about how gorgeous and tempting it is.

I have something to post later! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012 06:56:21 AM »

thanks Jexx!  I can't wait to see what you've spun up  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012 07:01:20 AM »

NICE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012 07:59:18 AM »

Yarn maths are funny.
Last year for the Sheep to Shawl challenge I started by making a sweater that didn't fit the challenge, but it was OK because the pattern, while it looked awesome, actually sucked. Even with all the blocking and getting help from old people, it still didn't work, so it's been sitting around the house waiting. I finally just decided to unravel it and save the yarn for something else. I don't think I ever posted the yarn, though. Here it is unraveled as singles:

~980 yards, wrapped into 12 small skeins. Lots of random spots where I just tied it together.
And then I decided I didn't like it so thin, so I 3 plied it. Fun, using my knees and 1 arm as swifts to unwind from the skeins I had already made.  Roll Eyes

So now it's big and bulky! I should have gotten a closer shot to compare it better with the singles, but whatever.
Here's where the maths come in: 980 yards divided by 3 (since I 3 plied it) equals ~ 375. So 980/3=375? Haha, yarn, you got me. I understand why it does that but I still think it's funny.
Oh, there I go being too wordy again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012 08:35:16 AM »

Bella, I love that silk, both thick and superfine.  And I always love seeing fluff!!

Jexx, I like that yarn chain plied.  Good for you for unraveling the sweater you didn't love, so now you can make something you WILL love. Any idea what you'll do with it?

Mine for the week is "Nebula" -- two ways.  On the left is coils plied with black laceweight.  On the right is the thick and thin singles.  As I was doing the coils, I decided I much preferred the singles, so only did 26 yards of coils and keeping the rest as singles.  It was my first intentionally-spun and controlled thick and thin, rather than the thick and thin of my beginner yarns:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012 08:40:18 AM »

I actually got to spin! I haven't spun anything since about two weeks before I had my daughter at the end of November. It was hard to put it down when she needed something, so it got put by the wayside. Now she can entertain herself and takes longer naps, so I'm back!
I took it upon myself to acquire a spinning wheel in whatever form I could, so off to home depot I went. PVC is my friend. I followed the plans on www.pjsadventures.com/DragonsKeep/personal/pvcwheel.html to the best of my ability. Power tools aren't my strong suit. lol. But here she is, nasty old bike rim and all! (it needs painted. Tongue )

The wheel cost me around 20 bucks to make, and it really wasn't hard. It doesn't have a treadle, so it works like a Walking Wheel. Once you get used to it, it works like a charm. Smiley Heres my yarn contribution for the week. I call it St. Patty's Day Blues. Not quite sure what wool content it is, I'm just pulling blues and greens from my big ol' bag of dye soppers from Sheep Shed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012 09:20:36 AM »

Nice yarn Jexx!  
Niks, I totallu understand the "meh, i like it better this way" thing.  I mean, after all, that's what I did this week too Cheesy  I like them both, though.
Rodelphia, how cool that you built your own wheel!   I'm going to have to see how a walking wheel works, as I have no idea.  Love the colors of the yarn, too Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012 09:30:27 AM »

Rodelphia -- way to go building your own wheel!!  At first glance of the bicycle rim I thought maybe it was a Heavenly Handspinning wheel, but then I read your description.   Nice job.  And congratulations on your baby girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012 09:44:52 AM »

thanks! the wheel wasn't hard to make at all, and the baby is pretty awesome too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bars1.Mp4
Hot New Jewelry Trends, From Bobbie Thomas
Two Time War Vet Gets Crafty for Charity
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...