A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday, March 9, 2012  (Read 3462 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2012 05:44:11 AM »

Hey it's friday!  and I was procraftinating! lol  I was reading and watching the video in Spin Art, and couldn't not break out some fibre, for fun that is.

semi autowrapped, sort of kindof... It was really hard not to help the threads along... Silk, wrapped with thread.

thin/thick thread wrapped silk by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

thin/thick thread wrapped silk by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And this was on the bobbin from ages ago, and I have no idea way on eart I was spinning so thin!  It's the same silk as above.  it's chain plied, and it's nearly lace weight, and in some places cobweb... Shocked  was I going crazy?

lace weight silk - chain plied by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

lace weight silk - chain plied by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And I'll share this pic here too, as who doesn't love seeing fluffy BFL locks, all ready to be preped for spining.   This is part of my homework.  I'm spinning a worsted BFL and hoping it's about the right weight to get guage for Chimera mittens (on Rav).... And if it's not, then I guess I try again... Undecided

lots and lots of BFL by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012 06:08:40 AM »

That first pic is lovely, Bella! Sounds divine, too. And FLUFF! I think there are very few people who would get excited about that, but I know several of them are on here will be posting about how gorgeous and tempting it is.

I have something to post later! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012 06:56:21 AM »

thanks Jexx!  I can't wait to see what you've spun up  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012 07:01:20 AM »

NICE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
jexxican

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012 07:59:18 AM »

Yarn maths are funny.
Last year for the Sheep to Shawl challenge I started by making a sweater that didn't fit the challenge, but it was OK because the pattern, while it looked awesome, actually sucked. Even with all the blocking and getting help from old people, it still didn't work, so it's been sitting around the house waiting. I finally just decided to unravel it and save the yarn for something else. I don't think I ever posted the yarn, though. Here it is unraveled as singles:

~980 yards, wrapped into 12 small skeins. Lots of random spots where I just tied it together.
And then I decided I didn't like it so thin, so I 3 plied it. Fun, using my knees and 1 arm as swifts to unwind from the skeins I had already made.  Roll Eyes

So now it's big and bulky! I should have gotten a closer shot to compare it better with the singles, but whatever.
Here's where the maths come in: 980 yards divided by 3 (since I 3 plied it) equals ~ 375. So 980/3=375? Haha, yarn, you got me. I understand why it does that but I still think it's funny.
Oh, there I go being too wordy again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012 08:35:16 AM »

Bella, I love that silk, both thick and superfine.  And I always love seeing fluff!!

Jexx, I like that yarn chain plied.  Good for you for unraveling the sweater you didn't love, so now you can make something you WILL love. Any idea what you'll do with it?

Mine for the week is "Nebula" -- two ways.  On the left is coils plied with black laceweight.  On the right is the thick and thin singles.  As I was doing the coils, I decided I much preferred the singles, so only did 26 yards of coils and keeping the rest as singles.  It was my first intentionally-spun and controlled thick and thin, rather than the thick and thin of my beginner yarns:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012 08:40:18 AM »

I actually got to spin! I haven't spun anything since about two weeks before I had my daughter at the end of November. It was hard to put it down when she needed something, so it got put by the wayside. Now she can entertain herself and takes longer naps, so I'm back!
I took it upon myself to acquire a spinning wheel in whatever form I could, so off to home depot I went. PVC is my friend. I followed the plans on www.pjsadventures.c om/DragonsKeep/personal/pvcwheel.html to the best of my ability. Power tools aren't my strong suit. lol. But here she is, nasty old bike rim and all! (it needs painted. Tongue )

The wheel cost me around 20 bucks to make, and it really wasn't hard. It doesn't have a treadle, so it works like a Walking Wheel. Once you get used to it, it works like a charm. Smiley Heres my yarn contribution for the week. I call it St. Patty's Day Blues. Not quite sure what wool content it is, I'm just pulling blues and greens from my big ol' bag of dye soppers from Sheep Shed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012 09:20:36 AM »

Nice yarn Jexx!  
Niks, I totallu understand the "meh, i like it better this way" thing.  I mean, after all, that's what I did this week too Cheesy  I like them both, though.
Rodelphia, how cool that you built your own wheel!   I'm going to have to see how a walking wheel works, as I have no idea.  Love the colors of the yarn, too Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012 09:30:27 AM »

Rodelphia -- way to go building your own wheel!!  At first glance of the bicycle rim I thought maybe it was a Heavenly Handspinning wheel, but then I read your description.   Nice job.  And congratulations on your baby girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012 09:44:52 AM »

thanks! the wheel wasn't hard to make at all, and the baby is pretty awesome too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012 11:52:03 AM »

Gorgeous and loving all the greens mixed in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bperry042
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012 12:59:01 PM »

Very pretty yarns this week!  I haven't posted here in forever!  I've been spinning like mad this week.  Here is what I've done.  More pics and stuff on my blog.

Southwest Desert
Merino/Tussah Silk
4oz 225yards
Worsted Weight

Plum Fury
3oz Merino/Silk
230 yards Sports Wt.

Merino Yum
Not sure on yardage, but was a bulky wt.  I used this already to make a shawl!

Greens & Yellows
Mixed wools.... art yarn  about 47 yards

Earth & Sky Art Yarn
2 ply with string and beads with some beehives
4oz 190yards
Sports - Bulky Wt.

Days End
700 yards of SW BFL (the colored part)
Plied with white cashmere recycled yarn
4 oz fingering wt.

BitsN'Junk Art Yarn
80 yards of funky chunky art yarn.  I'm using this for a bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012 01:19:23 PM »

Sweet yarns Bperry042!  I really can' pick a favorite, they are all so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012 02:32:43 PM »

Great yarns, Bperry042!  I especially love the last one with the feathers!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012 05:12:17 PM »

Wow! All the yarns this week are outstanding! Great work!

I'm continuing to work on the repurposed sweater yarns. This one is for the Facebook Creative Challenge for March. It's called Wind in the Garden. March is windy here. Veryveryvery windy, so I let a lot of fringe bits hang out to represent things being buffeted by the wind.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012 05:24:10 PM »

beautiful, Lark!!   i just want to squish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012 10:38:50 AM »

some teensy skeins from buts and bobs from zombie_queen
not sure of the fiber contents, but they are all sock weight and between 10-20 yds. I am going to make hexi-puffs with them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
edash
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012 11:50:16 AM »

The wheel cost me around 20 bucks to make, and it really wasn't hard. It doesn't have a treadle, so it works like a Walking Wheel. Once you get used to it, it works like a charm. Smiley

Do you have a pattern for making it!? And I'll have to google a walking wheel. I use a drop spindle and want a wheel BADLY but I dont have the extra $300 to buy one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012 12:17:32 PM »

Nik, I love it both ways! The colors are marvelous.

Rodelphia, impressive indeed. And your singles are very nicely done and even as well.

Bperry, Days End is the best, followed closely by Merino Yum. Reminiscent of Mardi Gras or some big party like that. Very festive, very nice.

Lark is making me realize I need to go to the thrift store soon, just so I can try to be 1/2 as cool as she is.

Loudxmouse, the 2 in the middle look like they would go together very nicely. And the one on the left looks like it has some bamboo in it maybe? Definitely not all wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012 12:24:00 PM »

Nik, I love it both ways! The colors are marvelous.

Rodelphia, impressive indeed. And your singles are very nicely done and even as well.

Bperry, Days End is the best, followed closely by Merino Yum. Reminiscent of Mardi Gras or some big party like that. Very festive, very nice.

Lark is making me realize I need to go to the thrift store soon, just so I can try to be 1/2 as cool as she is.

Loudxmouse, the 2 in the middle look like they would go together very nicely. And the one on the left looks like it has some bamboo in it maybe? Definitely not all wool.

yah, I spun blobs of rainbow bamboo into that one. I think the white is a synthetic fiber (dun dun dunnnnn) like nylon or something with some glitz, the teal is a silk and wool blend I think. They were fun mini projects though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
Rodelphia
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012 01:53:39 PM »

The wheel cost me around 20 bucks to make, and it really wasn't hard. It doesn't have a treadle, so it works like a Walking Wheel. Once you get used to it, it works like a charm. Smiley

Do you have a pattern for making it!? And I'll have to google a walking wheel. I use a drop spindle and want a wheel BADLY but I dont have the extra $300 to buy one.

the tutorial i used is at www.pjsadventures.c om/DragonsKeep/personal/PVCWheel.html, but i just took mine apart to glue it and i took pictures of how it all goes together! i'm going to post it in discussions and questions so that interested people can make their own. i think the most expensive part (if you don't have one sitting around like i did) would be the bicycle rim. you can use any size really, it'll just affect how many wpi you get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ffrogg526

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012 02:55:51 PM »

Ok - I need one of you lovely and overly-talented people to come sit with me and help me figure out this spinning thing.  My first bit of spinning looks terrible. 

bperry042 - I am so very jealous of that "Merino Yum".  It is absolutely GORGEOUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012 03:43:19 PM »

Oh Ffrogg, everybodies first spin looks terrible!  Keep practicing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012 08:14:50 PM »

Smiley

Oh Ffrogg, everybodies first spin looks terrible!  Keep practicing! 

It's so true, Ffrogg, my first yarns were awful!  I was just happy to get something that held together as yarn.  But you know what, even those early yarns worked up into nice projects.  At some point things will just click and you'll get into the groove!

Loudxmouse -- I love the bamboo you added.  So lustrous, and a good way to use a little bit of bamboo and really make it pop.  You also convinced me to look up hexipuffs -- I had never heard of them before.  What a great way to use little bits of yarn.

Lark, I'm working on a recycled sweater yarn this week, inspired by your lovely recent yarns.  I'll probably have it ready for next fiber friday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012 07:51:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ha6g3WKW-s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ES0KmCQhn4

A couple youtube vids of someone spinning with a walking wheel. I'd like to try it sometime.

Great yarns this week everyone!! And a homemade wheel too...what a week! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012 10:17:47 AM »

thanks for posting those videos! I hadn't had a chance to google them yet.   how cool!  I had a chance to buy a great wheel last year, but past it up because I'd have had no way to get it home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Camera for Family Photos
How to Debunk Shark Surfer and a Talk with GOD
Production Tech Tips: 3D Camera Systems
Small Tripods / Equipment to Stabilize Your Camera - Road Gear - Video ...
How to Paint with Light - A Photography Technique
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...