A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,281
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Going to make my first dress  (Read 805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skatergirl1007
« on: March 08, 2012 07:35:51 PM »

I have a prom coming up in May and it will be my first prom. I have looked a little at JCPennies but I don't care for the length. I then decided that I wanted to make my own but I have never made a dress. So I would like to know what kind of fabric should I use for the dress. It will be flowey not tight and the sleeves are going to be circle sleeves and I want it in black or maybe a grey color I will have my jewelry and stuff for color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012 07:01:44 PM »

You may be able to start with the Malissa pattern from BurdaStyle. It's fitted only at the bust, and has a graceful flow to it in drapey fabrics. Depending on how much sewing experience you have, adjusting this dress pattern for you and wrangling fancy fabrics could either be challenging but fun, or something you really need assistance with.

Were I you, I would find a mentor who is willing to help you get started on your way, who can also give coherent advice over the phone for when you get stuck. If there is a home economics teacher at your school, I definitely recommend asking them if they're willing to be your beacon in the darkness.

Stylewise, with Malissa, I think you could do it with a satin underlayer and a chiffon or georgette overlayer, with the sleeve being just the overlayer fabric. That would be super-chic in steel grey, me thinks! Changing the sleeve into a big circular sleeve won't be too hard. It will be somewhat like a bell sleeve, but with a larger radius. You would need to slash the sleeve pattern vertically in several places and then spread the pieces out in a circular manner. You just tape the slashed bits to a giant piece of paper and use a string, pin and pencil to redraw the bottom hem. You'll also need to read up on sewing with fancy fabrics like satin and chiffon, including seam finishes. Your local library may have some sewing books that could be helpful. Google can also lead you to good resources just by searching things like "how to sew satin" or "how to hem chiffon."

If Malissa isn't to your liking, schedule yourself a couple hours to go sit in the local fabric store and just go through all the pattern books they have. Check the sections for regular dresses, too, not just formalwear, because a day dress done in a formal fabric is sometimes just the ticket Cheesy I say "a few hours" because that way you'll have plenty of time to bug the ladies and gents who work there.

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012 01:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the ideas Alexus1325! I like the look of the Malissa dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé: Behind the Scenes
When Fashion Attacks: Doutzen Kroes
The Shape of the Season for Fall 2012
Behind-the-Scenes with Tommy Ton: Chic in the Street
All Eyes on Penelope Cruz
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...