A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opening an ETSY shop?  (Read 1318 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparksfly
« on: March 08, 2012 01:59:33 PM »

If I want to start my own ETSY shop what do I need to do?

Do I need to make a bunch of the item before starting or could I make one or two of them and then make them to order? Just so I don't end up making a bunch of items that never sell.

I know someone who started an ETSY shop and they've had like on purchase from it, aside from like family and friends.

Is it actually possible to loose money by having a store? I've looked on their website and the fee's seem very low so at the most if nothing sold I wouldn't be loosing like more than $5 a month which isn't outrageous.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
everyonedrinks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012 04:43:36 PM »

I am not an etsy expert by any means, but I can share my experience with you. First off, etsy charges a per item listing fee, so there's not much of a point in listing multiples of your items for sale because you will be charged the listing fee whether or not you sell the item. So, if you have two of something, just list that one is available. When that one sells, relist it for your 2nd item.

I tested the waters with etsy and listed a few different items, but was not successful. However, I also have an online store, so it's not like I was putting a great effort into my etsy store. Unless you have a really unique item, it can be difficult to sell your stuff on etsy because there are SO MANY people selling on there.

It is true that their listing fees are very low, so you are not likely to lose much money even if you are not successful, but if it's the only avenue you are using to sell your items, it's a challenge to be successful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everyone Drinks - Unique handcrafted gifts for the (adult) beverage lover.
http://www.everyonedrinks.com/
HugsAreFun
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012 05:56:58 AM »

I am currently in the process of getting my shop up. I had a shop in the past but never did much to promote it and didn't sell much.
I'm approaching this differently and wanted to have more of a stock before I open it. Personally, I much prefer to visit a shop with more stock options than just one or two items. You're right, the listing fees are very low, so I decided I would rather wait and start a shop with 5-10 items than start one too soon.
I figure if things really don't sell, worst case is that I have a lot of Christmas presents made.

Also, it might be worth reading a book on selling your items online. I've read two different books and they have helped a ton with understanding how to really increase my online presence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natespixie
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012 09:19:21 AM »

I'm in the process of opening a shop right now, and I have to say, the fees are adding up.  Etsy wants 3.5% of your sale; if you want to enable direct checkout, that's going to be another 3% + $.25; Paypal is going to take 2.9%...
I'm starting to see why everything on Etsy is ridiculously overpriced!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janslow
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013 12:59:30 PM »

I'm in the process of opening a shop right now, and I have to say, the fees are adding up.  Etsy wants 3.5% of your sale; if you want to enable direct checkout, that's going to be another 3% + $.25; Paypal is going to take 2.9%...
I'm starting to see why everything on Etsy is ridiculously overpriced!  Undecided

Hey natespixi! I can see what you mean about the fees of etsy and paypal, but for me, on one of the smaller notebooks in my store at the moment the fees would work out at 0.54/$0.87. It is pricey, but not as bad as I originally thought it would be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Ebru Demonstration by Bingul Sevimli
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...