A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SOS Save this disater from itself  (Read 595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012 11:02:41 PM »

I had to move back with my parnet (and her sister, and her sisters 12 and 10 year old) recently and am now the proud renter of a 10 by 10 hole in the basement.  Its a very small room, my full size bed takes up most of it. I use this room alot to hang out with freinds in too (I have cousins living in the house, who dont know what GO AWAY means). So the room must be funcitional to hang out, have a little romantic fun  Wink and must be clean.  I do have the option of replacing the bed with a double thickness futon. I also have the option of adding a bookcase (or two) and have a few storage benches that can go in there. I just dont know where to start!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.549812482144.29329.292300927&type=1&l=6df9ffea75
(sorry, they wouldnt upload anyplace else nicely)

This is curently the very unmade bed (BAD ME!) you can also see the curtained nightstand next to the bed. THe white bookcase holds some photo albums and my camera collection. The black chair (under the pile of blankets) must stay since its the one chair my back can handle.

Photo 2 is the other side of the room. You can see my blue dresser (matches the walls) and my mirror. This is my makeup area. (the mirror is actually a medicine cabinate, aka storage). THe stand next to the dresser seems to be a catch- all for all kinds of crap but has yet to get a real purpose
Photo 3 is a close up of the tv area with my fav. frame (with the stars inside. This area also has a window in it but it is never used. I was thinking I may replace the fish tank stand with a bookcase for extra storage (but dont know if it will look funny cause its not as tall as the one on the other side. It cant be painted) I have also thought about painting the bookcase in ther already.

Photo 4 shows my epic fail attempt at putting up a cushion on the wall. it also shows the boxes I tried to use for a nightstand (another epic fail) and my horse tack collection, which is staying. The cushion has a cover and the quilt for the bed is a nice solid black cover.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012 11:13:17 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012 07:23:36 AM »

Few questions:
1. What's the budget, if there is one?
2. If budget allows, are you able to paint the room?

My ideas:
- It seems like there are too many things taking up floor space. I would move that blue dresser into the closet (put the fish tank on top or move it elsewhere). Move your camera collection shelf to where the blue dresser sat. Move that smaller shelf (the one sitting next to the blue dresser in the picture) to the foot of the bed.
- I would stage the bed as if it were a day bed. Put your pillows against the wall. When you're ready to sleep, rearrange the bed. That's probably the best way to make it work.
- Make use of any storage space. Is there space under your bed to hold blankets, extra pillows, etc? They may get a bit dusty, but you could also find those big storage bags (like vacuum bags) to hold your extra bedding.
- I would move that little table in front of your TV to between your bed and that chair. That way it's a nightstand and an end table to the chair.
- Also, you don't have to clump your collections together. You could always spread them out. One camera could be on your nightstand and another can be on the dresser. You could have two horses on a shelf and then another horse on a windowsill. Does that make sense? It'll bring together the room and bring some visual interest.

If budget allows:
- I would repaint the bedroom a lighter color. The dark blue and brown with no natural light must feel like a cave.
- On the wall where your dresser sits, I would get some shelving. You can buy brackets and shelves at any big box hardware store or if you have an IKEA, that works too. The shelving could hold your camera collection and you could remove that bookshelf. It's quite easy to put up shelving if you have access to a stud finder and power drill. I would just try doing what I could to use the wall space more so than floor space.
- You could also buy picture ledges at places like Target. They can't hold as much weight, but would work for that small wall between the door and closet. I would put up 2 ledges and lean a picture on each ledge, plus add a knick knack or two... something light of course.

I think it just looks a bit busy. I would try to just tidy up and purge (although I'm sure you've purged a lot all ready if you're downsizing). It's got potential, definitely. You'll just have to think outside of the box. You should search out small houses and see what they have. It's all about placement.  Good luck! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Interfaces
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Preferences
How to Use the Adobe Photoshop CS3
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Handle Color Management
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Personalize Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...