A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer Clay Cameos  (Read 4591 times)
Tags for this thread: cameo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

time
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012 10:23:55 PM »

These are stunning!

Can you just buy the... um... base/frame/metal part thing (I have no clue what to call that part)... blank? I've never seen them in stores, but then again, I've never looked!

Can't speak for Miaka but I've purchased things from here: http://www.cameojewelrysupply.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miaka
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012 02:05:13 AM »

Thank you =)

These are stunning!

Can you just buy the... um... base/frame/metal part thing (I have no clue what to call that part)... blank? I've never seen them in stores, but then again, I've never looked!

what she said Wink
I buy them online, usually in severel supply shops on dawanda or etsy. Try searching for "cameo setting" or just "setting" =)

First let me say that I think this is a great project and you've done well with the overall execution.

On a few of these brooches (your turtle and black rose at the bottom edges) the background color is not fully filling the brooch background and it's really noticeable because the black background shape isn't perfectly oval around the edges.

Are you preforming the background and baking it separately and then gluing it to the brooch backing? When that happens maybe you could add a very small, thin, rope of clay around the edge to cover that up? These cameos are just so pretty it's a shame to let that detract from your pieces.

I see a few faint tool marks on the black rose's red background. You can also use a little bit of mineral oil on a q-tip to 'melt' the clay to remove tool marks from the surface. You just have to do a little sanding after baking to clean it up a little. Clayers do it with poly clay beads to make the bead as smooth as possible after baking. It addles the topmost portion of a design(that won't matter with a one color background) but then when you lightly sand a thin bit of the top you get really beautiful smoothly patterned beads. It should work here too. Unless you're baking the background on the brooch backing. I don't think that would work then.

You've done a great job with the molded bits. I don't see any cast marks around the sides. Very neat and cleanly imprinted. The facets on your cabs are fantastically crisp.
Thank you for your CC and tipps!
About the turtle and rose cameos: I noticed that the background doesn't exactly fit, I already fixed the mold for the turtle one (that's why it looks better in the first picture, that's the new version) and I'll probably work on the others, too.
I usually make the base cameo first, then add the motive, make the mold and after that fill the mold with the colours I want - so I basically need to fix the base and then make a new mold for them ^^

The tool marks bother me a bit, too, but I tried sanding around the motives and it doesn't exactly work the way I wanted it. Maybe I'll have to get some smaller tools for working with the cameos, I'd prefer a smoother look, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012 07:26:09 PM »

what a fun idea.  they look great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Dorkabrain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012 11:26:21 AM »

I really, really like these. Making your own molds and working from them gives such
a refreshing, unique look to your pieces : D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012 08:05:19 AM »

How do you mold the different colors together? Do you fill the mold with the light color first...and clean up the edges & then put in the dark color...or are you using 2 molds one for the intricate shapes & then another for the background?

I have never molded polymer clay before.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Muahahahaha
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012 05:17:54 PM »

Wow, these are gorgeous. I especially like the owl cameo and the cabochans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miaka
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012 12:55:08 PM »

Thank you again =)

How do you mold the different colors together? Do you fill the mold with the light color first...and clean up the edges & then put in the dark color...
Like this ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imcraftyandiknowit
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012 09:52:37 AM »

These are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackAppleStudios
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012 06:46:33 PM »

Those are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miaka
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012 07:35:49 AM »

Thank you for the nice comments <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Better Media - Motion Sketches 2
How to Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 1
How to Debunk Hollywood Urban Legends
After Effects - Realistic Gun Blow Back
Final Cut Pro 6 Tutorial: Film Look
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...