A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! How do I make a hijab for a runner?  (Read 1565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitchencupboards
« on: March 06, 2012 09:47:15 AM »

Hey, all!

Recently I started a running group with some of my friends from the military, and one of my friends found Islam and converted! She's at a place in her spirituality where wearing a hijab is important to her, but finds that it's difficult to run (especially in her home state of Texas) is the traditional hijabs she wears on a daily basis. They do make hijabs for athletes(http://www.thehijabshop.com/capsters/index.php ) but having just seperated from the Army, she really can't afford to purchase them. That's where crafting comes in!

I want to try my hand at making some good hijabs, as well as modest and loose athletic wear, for her to run in. Any advice? I know that the fabric has to be opaque, even when wet, and that she sweats a bit when she runs so moisture wicking fabric is super important.

Thanks!!!
~~StitchenCupboards~~

P.S. Our group is coming together from all over the country to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon next February, and my friend wants to run in a modest Princess Ariel costume! Any tips from you guys on that front would be appreciated too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog: http://vforvintage.wordpress.com

"I got ninety-nine problems, but a stitch ain't one."
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012 10:34:45 PM »

You might try a balaclava pattern, or three!

Green Pepper

Ottobre

Shelby Kaava

But then again, in this image, it almost looks like the hijab is built into the top as a tube with a slit for the face. I say slit because the "top" of tube is at the back of the head, which is actually a good thing if you have a giant twist of hair to constrain.

Either way, I think you and your friend are in for some experimentation and laughter while you figure it out Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012 02:07:15 AM »

I agree with using the balaclava pattern, or at least an  altered version of it. If you wanted to try making the pattern yourself I'd suggest starting with tracing a hood from a jacket and then adding a large collar to the bottom that would attatch in the front with velcro or something (that's what the ones on your link look like it does) and then start altering it from there.

As for fabric, I think you're just gonna have to go to the store and see what they have in the way of athletic fabric, for something like this I personally wouldn't want to order something online without having felt the fabric first to make sure its soft enough or lightweight enough. My first thought is that a jersey knit would be a good fabric, since its light weight and its stretchy so you can make the hijab tighter on the head so it won't blow off while running. But I'm not sure how well it would do at wicking away moisture, I mean its gonna absorb moisture but depending on how much you sweat you're still gonna feel it against your skin. Although as long as you don't use a light color it will stay opaque when wet. You may have to just try and find some cheap/second hand athletic clothing and cut that up to use for the fabric.

For the Ariel costume, I'm not sure how elaborate you guys dress up for that kind of thing but I would just do it like when you're dressing up a little kid for halloween on a cold night. Flesh colored top, with the seashells painted on/appliqued on, and then find some green bottoms that are comefortable to run in and add some sequins to them, you could even do a green sequin tail to attatch to the back of the bottoms (think like a tuxedo tail), most costumes I see have the tail attatched to the front of the costume but I think that would get in the way while running, plus how cool would that look to see her tail floating behind her while running. And she could wear a red hijab to mimic Ariel's red hair, since I think wearing a red wig on top of the hijab would kind of go against the purpose of the hijab in the first place, plus I wouldn't wanna wear a wig while running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchencupboards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012 01:42:12 PM »

Oh my goodness! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!!! THAT IS JUST THE KIND OF PATTERN I WAS HOPING TO FIND! Thanks for the advice! You two rock!

Also, we're making some airy sweatpants and a long sleeved tee to resemble this dress, with a bright red hijab!
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/polls/390000/390402_1267661666084_full.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012 11:50:18 PM »

That'll be awsome. You'll have to post pictures when the whole thing's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoquess
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012 03:50:18 PM »

You could try to make an al-amira hijabone or two pieces made out of stretchy fabric, so the fit or cut doesn't have to be perfect. Here's a tutorial that looks promising, but I haven't used it myself. http://franyablue.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-a-One-Piece-Hijab-in-5-Easy-Steps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchencupboards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012 10:45:36 AM »

Amazing! Thanks, Phoquess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Photoshop Lesson 1
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 3
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...