A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorative/good embroidery hoops - where?  (Read 1823 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2012 09:53:03 PM »

So I've been starting to do some & am wanting to do more hoopla pieces. But here's my problem, the only hoops I can find at the stores are the somewhat flimsy & cheaply priced wooden ones (which are fine for working projects & for many hooplas I have in mind or have seen) or the brightly colored plastic ones (which I have no interest in, at all). I'm new to the area & may be missing some specialty stores, but what I know of are Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's & Michaels.

The first type of hoop I'm looking for is the beautiful, decorative wood hoops like [urk=http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.264296070.jpg]this,[/url] for reasonable prices to use for hoopla projects. I think they're so beautiful & I have had such a hard time finding them online for some reason.

The second kind is similar to what I inherited from my grandma, good quality, rounded egded, sturdy hoops that I would be willing to invest in to have a full set of great hoops for working, like this.

Anyone have links to good, reliable sources of nice hoops? Online or if you happen to know of any shops in the CSRA GA/SC area, either would be infinitely helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012 01:10:19 PM »

Those hoops you linked to are actually plastic made to look like wood. Michaels carries them. I wasn't too impressed with them as the inner ring is completely plastic and does not keep tension well. But if you're just looking to mount a finished piece (and use glue) they should be fine.

For decorative hoops, some craftsters have had luck with etsy.

The really nice rounded hoops are hoops like Hardwicke Manor. Scroll down the page to see all the sizes available. They are absolutely fantastic, but they are not priced to be give away hoops. Maybe you have a larger budget than me, but when I spend $15-$20 on a hoop I keep it!  Grin If you're building a set of working hoops though, they cannot be beaten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012 02:04:41 PM »

The plastic wood ones are okay, the little part for hanging never stays in. Some people put fabric around the wood hoops to give it a little bit more stability and flavor.

The vintage metal ones are great but I have a hard time finding them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012 05:12:33 PM »

Obsessed Knitter - Huh, I must have missed them at Michaels, oh well, now that I know they're made of plastic I just heard a shattering of glass as my perception of them looking awesome was broken. lol And that's not an entirely bad thing. rofl I'll have to check out hoops on Etsy more for decorative options.

And I am totally in the same boat with cost, even $7 for the smaller ones is too much for me to just casually give away. But I am looking to invest in some good hoops to use while I'm actually executing pieces, so I'll definitely be giving those Hardwicke Manor hoops a try the next time I need one! Cheesy Thank you for the links!

Kittykill - Yea, I've done a couple hoops with ribbon on the outside of the hoop. But sometimes you just want the wood, ya know? lol I've never used metal before, if I can find some on the cheap I'll have to check them out & see how they go. Smiley Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012 08:05:05 PM »

I've had good luck finding nice ones in the crafting sections of goodwill/salvation army/st. vincent de paul second hand stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012 09:48:37 PM »

I've had good luck finding nice ones in the crafting sections of goodwill/salvation army/st. vincent de paul second hand stores.

You must have nicer Goodwills than I do! Cheesy I find a lot of the cheap ones there, but they cost more at Goodwill than new at Michaels. Plus, they're yucky. I really need to get some more Hardwicke Manor hoops. One can never have too many hoops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrs.turner

Jen of all Trades - Master of None.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012 01:26:15 PM »

I like to DIY decorate my hoops. With the cheap wooden ones you find at craft stores, you can paint them, wrap them in fabric, "bedazzle" them and more. Just use you imagination!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy Crafting!
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012 06:14:07 PM »

I like to DIY decorate my hoops. With the cheap wooden ones you find at craft stores, you can paint them, wrap them in fabric, "bedazzle" them and more. Just use you imagination!

Yep! I've used ribbon a couple of times, & have plans to paint some. I just don't always want that, you know? I'm very enamored with the look of the thick, grained wood, though I suppose I am a painter & could do that, I just need hoops that are thick enough to show it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
meghacg
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012 06:01:18 PM »

My next hoop is another one of those cheap wood ones (broke as usual) but once I'm done I'm planning to take out the fabric and varnish the wood deep brown to get a better effect. Worth a shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Titanfall: Xbox One Vs. Xbox 360 - Graphics Comparison
ZAMB! Biomutant Extermination - Developer Diary
The Goliath Has Evolved!
The Evil Within Has An Environment Built to Scare
Titanfall on the Xbox 360
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...