A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "A.I." part of my Sentient Machinery collection  (Read 3837 times)
Tags for this thread: watercolor  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phantome
« on: March 05, 2012 07:48:32 PM »

My most recent biomechanical exploration! This called "A.I." (artificial intelligence). I'm so in love with how her face turned out, she has such an enigmatic smile, IMO. Smiley The lines in her hair are circuitry from the CPU of my old computer that I tore apart, which I thought was apropos since the CPU is the "brain" of the computer.

On a side note (and I'm posting this in general discussion, too), does anyone have any suggestions on how to price art? I really have no idea where to start, and am getting kind of a stockpile of art with a lot of buyers-in-waiting. Any websites or resources I should check out? I know that the gallery will have suggestions for the stuff they're displaying, I'm really thinking more about the art I make that's not specifically for a gallery (and won't have commission shaved off the top).

And even though I haven't mentioned it on other posts, C&C is welcome on all my arts. Smiley

Anyway, I give you "A.I."
14x17" watercolor

(full image)

(closeup)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 07:49:11 PM by Phantome » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is my signature; there are many like it, but this one is mine.
camezzo
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012 07:57:22 PM »

this is so beautiful....brava!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have no plans to die today."
 I would however, like to learn to knit.
http://pinterest.com/camezzo
WhimsicallyObsessed
msg me if you're interested in a private swap! ^_^

comp died. having a hard time on craftster w/ cell

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012 08:39:55 PM »

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors and the style you did such a great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trying to get back into the swing of things. Trying to move forward and make big changes in my life come join me on my journey if you like!
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012 05:34:25 AM »

This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012 05:40:38 AM »

What a beautiful composition.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012 05:44:24 AM »

Pricing 101.

If you have a huge backlog of people who want to buy things from you, charge more.
That picture you did there? I'd suggest starting somewhere between $175-250 depending on your local area. If you are still getting a huge demand, bump your prices up further. If you'd rather not put an arbitrary price on it, guestimate how long you worked on it and pay yourself a living wage ($15/hr min) + cost of supplies.

Biggest problem most new artists I've encountered (myself included) is that they undercharge for their works, people expect to pay next to nothing for crap, they expect to pay through the nose for quality.

I've been dealing with galleries and such for over a decade, thus I feel justified in providing you the advise you requested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
fancybutch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012 06:14:39 AM »

Love LOVE your work.  And I totally agree, be careful not to underestimate your art's value.

Is the liquid latex hard to remove?  Do you have a particular kind you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
Phantome
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012 08:38:33 AM »

Thanks everyone! And thanks, Blacksmith- that really does help. I came up with about that price range too, once I added up hours, a little bit for supplies, and the frame/mat expenses. I suppose I gotta start somewhere!

Fancybutch: No, the latex is easy to remove. It has a rubbery consistency, and you can feel it if you run your hand over the paper. I just rub at the corner of an area with the butt end of a paintbrush (so I don't accidentally get oils from my finger rubbed all over the page), then just lift it up and pull. It comes off like a mask. I've also found that since it sticks really well to itself, it's easier for me to just keep a wad of dried latex in with my paints, and use that like a kneaded eraser to pick up the latex. either way works!

I just use ordinary colorless masking fluid by Windsor and Newton, about $10 a bottle. I've been through about 1.5 bottles in a year and a half, but I have also masked off some pretty big areas and wasted a lot from a spill, LOL. There are two kinds, one labeled "colorless," and the other is regular. They both look white in the bottle, but one dries clear and the other yellow. The yellow one stained my painting once, so I don't use it. And it's not like you can't see the clear, it's raised and shiny and very visible, even when dry. The other thing is, the latex won't work well on handmade paper. It's not pressed to a dense enough texture, and the latex will pull the paper up with it when you peel it off. Ask me how I know... Angry Just be sure to use watercolor or drawing paper, and you'll be fine! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is my signature; there are many like it, but this one is mine.
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012 08:56:49 AM »

She is beautiful.  I love your colors and technique Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehappytoaster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012 09:49:53 AM »

I've always loved watercolours! And purple (: That's a beautiful painting! I'd say 200$ is fair for something like that! You'd make a killing at music festivals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Haircut for Square Shaped Faces
The Best Haircut for Rounder Faces
How to Get the Right Bangs for Your Face Shape
VF NEWS: Jenny Packham Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Get a Tight Top Knot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...