A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Crafty in the Bathroom  (Read 1081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: March 04, 2012 01:45:42 PM »

We moved into our house in 2002. It was built in either 1940 or '41. Off hand, I don't remember. I think the bathroom may have been remodeled once. One of the things done to it was to put the same white plastic tiles that are on the upper part of the bathroom walls onto the top of the toilet tank. I didn't take pictures of it, because it was pretty gross, right from the get-go. It also had, at one point, wallpaper on the underside of the toilet tank lid (Huh) that was black and white with drawings of rubenesque women on it, in a kind of Raphael-esque-style. I suppose that was probably done to make the lid reversible or something.

Over the years, I've picked away at the wallpaper and tiles. I covered the top with some kind of purple, Mardi Gras-theme with a fleur de lis print wallpaper. After awhile, I just threw a folded hand towel over it to keep it covered when I got sick of that print.

But a few days ago, I had inspiration strike and I don't know why. I had some Asian newspapers that came as padding in a couple of Christmas gifts and I saved them. I decided I wanted to use those in the bathroom. I thought about wallpapering the cabinet with them, but I didn't think it was smart to tackle that much space so I did a smaller project with them. I covered the top and sides of the toilet tank lid with those newspapers and some Mod-Podge.

To cover up the folds of the newspaper around the sides, I used some Aleene's New Sew Glue to attach some black satin ribbon from Hancock's all the way around the tank lid. It also matches the trim in the bathroom already.

Just for the sake of breaking up the print, I printed out some vintage Asian postage stamps (some were cancelled when they had been photographed) and laid those on top of the newspaper as well. I tried to stick to warm toned stamps, but I really liked that blue one.

I had a good time with this little project. It's only 2-3 layers of Mod-Podge total. It's nice and slick. Right now, I've got my little make-up basket on the back of the toilet, along with some of my husband's shaving things and a little candle. It's kind of an odd, out of place thing in the bathroom, but it's visually interesting, at least to me anyway, and it's going to be easier to keep clean than regular wallpaper was.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012 05:50:06 PM by AmyLynn98 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012 06:40:06 PM »

That's a pretty nifty idea. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
spotter5
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012 08:46:02 PM »

Great idea to craft up a bathroom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Steve Schirripa Talks About Big Daddy’s Rules
Parents That Need to Be Slapped by Steve Schirripa
The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...