A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teesha Moore style Harry Potter Tote (WARNING: Lots of Pictures!)  (Read 19019 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , teesha_moore , bag , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 04, 2012 09:54:43 AM »

I FINALLY finished!  YAY!  First off I have to give a shout out to sheepBlue who inspired me to make this bag.  She made a Harry Potter themed teesha moore bag and I fell in love with it right off and knew I needed to make one for SIL for her birthday.  She and I are huge Harry Potter fans.  Well, it didn't make it on time for her birthday, but I'm not too far off.  ^_^

Ok, so this is the first time I've ever done anything like this before.  I love the free form and unfinished look of it.  I also have newly developed callouses on my pointer finger and thumb from this project.  ^_^  I'm also new to embroidery and my skills in it increased with each patch I did.  This was such a fun learning and playing project and it makes me hungry for more!

So all of it is done by hand, except for the liner and the sewing on of the handles (I wanted those suckers to stay on there!).  I did sew the liner into the bag by hand, though.  I had numerous ideas for the handles, but nothing panned out, so I went simple and just bought the straps at the fabric store.

And so upclose shots of the panels on this side:

For the houses I wanted to think outside of the box and to represent them I just used their colors on the patch and went crazy.  The yellow and black is Hufflepuff and next to is the Platform 9 3/4 sign done on felt with a flannel background.

Ron's christmas sweater from his mom, Mrs. Weasley.  The sweater is felt and the background is flannel.  The glasses and lightbolt was freezer paper stenciled on and then I stitched around the edges.

Harry Potter's wand.  The wand I free hand painted on and stitched around.  The lettering is stamped on with letter stamps and fabric paint.

Slytherin's patch.  I love the batik fabric behind the swirly.  And underneath is a snitch.  The wings are felt.

And Griffindor's patch.  This is my very first patch.  ^_^

Ravenclaw patch.  I just stitch the pattern on the fabric with the embroidery floss.  The Weasley patch has bead above the crown.  They are clear iridescent so they are hard to see in the picture.

Hedwig is a freezer paper stencil and then I stitched on the detailing.  The sorting hat is felt.

This is Voldemort's wand, done with a freezer paper stencil.  I stitch around it and stitched on the wording.  Its hard to read in the picture, but it says "13 1/2 inches, Yew, Phoenix Feather Core".

The Deathly Hallows symbol.  I used freezer paper to make the outline of the lines that I stitched over.  A winged key that I free hand painted and stitched around.  The key is a metal scrapbooking one, and it has beads around it.

A quote from Dumbledore.  "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

For the sides I decided I wanted to do just a long panel.  Here is a quote that is exclusively in the books.  Kinda sad that Peeves was never featured in the movies, but this is something is says at the end of the last book.  It says "We did it, we bashed him, wee potter's the one, and voldy's gone moldy, so lets have FUN!"

On this one I printed off the Harry Potter logo and made a stencil out of freezer paper and dabbed in the white.  I used black embroidery floss to stitch around the edges of the lettering (that took forever!  lol!)

The bottom is pretty unremarkable.  Just random stitches.  But its the bottom, so it won't be seen as much.  ^_^

And for a size reference and to show the fabric inside:

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012 10:02:34 AM »

That is AWESOME! Wow, each square it fantastic but I love the flying key best of all. What a wonderful project and a spectacular gift! How can you stand to part with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
bunny1kenobi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012 10:04:10 AM »

This bag is incredible!! so much love invested here.  Pinning! (and hitting "this rocks")
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012 10:05:10 AM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012 10:26:12 AM »

That turned out awesome!! I especially love the wand patches! Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012 10:28:49 AM »

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012 10:39:31 AM »

THIS ROCKS!  That's all - I just hit the button and that's all I gotta say!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
mandys_momma
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012 10:51:06 AM »

Absolutely fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012 11:03:01 AM »

Love it love it love it love it! All the details are so amazing...my favorite patch has to be the Sorting Hat shouting "Gryffindor!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012 11:04:56 AM »

And I LOVE the Peeves quote too, I agree about why the heck wasn't he in the movies!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creativemsb
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012 11:10:04 AM »

Greetings'
This is absolutely FANTASTiC! l babysit for 8 yr old twins (a boy and girl) who are Harry Potter "wizards". They would love something like this. This is not a task that l would attempt but it inspires me. Thanks for posting.
PEACE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matthew Van Fleet Reveals
Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter Talk About Chicken Cheeks
Susanna Clark Talks About A House in Fez
Jimmy Gownley Talks About Amelia Rules
Andrew Griffiths Talks About Me Myth
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...