A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny Library Filled with Wee Books and a Deep, Dark, Secret. (filled w/ photos)  (Read 13998 times)
Tags for this thread: library , featured_project , altered_altoids_tin , altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 03, 2012 10:32:45 AM »

You might want to sit down, this is going to take awhile.

I was lucky enough to participate in the Wicked Vices Altered Tin Swap wherein we gave our partners a list of five of our "vices" and we altered an Altoid -style tin with one or more of those vices in mind.  My partner's vices included book hoarding (is that a vice?).  Originally I had another idea involving another vice on the list that I don't even remotely remember, but on a craft-night with a girlfriend I got to play with her Martha Stewart Scoring Board and ZAP! the idea to make many wee books and a library to house them in struck me.  Luck shone down on me again as I was gifted from my birthday my very own scoring board by that same girlfriend.  WHEE!  And now to the many, many, MANY photos. 

My partner likes the distressed look, so I decided the library should look like a shed of aged copper.  I had a sheet of corrugated paper missing one flat side in my stash and painted it with paint that you spray with a distressing fluid to oxidize it.  Luckily I was able to work in light coats so as not to ruin the paper.

The back is copper leaf, distressed with glaze and topcoated with a matte varnish.  Why I did 2 different coppers that ended up looking the same?  Heck if I know.

Inside, sans books.  A library pocket on the inside of the lid from a pattern I found on pinterest, then resized to fit in photo shop.  I stamped it with an anatomical heart stamp a bunch of times, as hearts were one of my partners loves.  The shelves on the other side are made with faux bois embossed paper over paperboard, then inked to bring out the pattern.

All the wee books on the shelves.  After about 12 books, I started thinking "what I have gotten myself into?"  Then I thought... "well, I could make a few bookends..."  So I made several more books and a few bookends.  Smiley

The bookends are a vintage game piece that I silver leafed, then distressed with glaze and a piece of cut tile I found on the floor at a job site I was working on with a marble glued to it.  The marble was leaved with bits of gold, silver and copper leaf randomly stuck on.  It ended up looking a bit like a globe.

The books all actually open and have pages, etc.  I used pages from my small collection of books-bought-to-make-into-something-new including non-English language books, a vintage math textbook, magazine photos, etc.  Scrapbook paper that look like types of leather and a leather-y wrapping paper for the covers

The secret hatch in the back where the library's owner keeps her skulls (like skeletons in her closet):

The door is made with another color of the faux bois embossed paper and a oiled bronze colored paper brad.  The hardware is from my stash, distressed with glaze.

The inside has one of those things from the top of that sleeve that covered the top of a wine bottle.

And finally a bunch of detail shots, because for me these things are all about the little details.

A bit of color and a hint about what's inside the shed:

I felt lucky (again) that I was able to get "book paper or print treat" under the turquoise glass thingy from my stash.

"Door" made from the darker version of the faux bois embossed paper, again inked to bring out the grain.  Paper brad for door knob. 

My miters didn't turn out so well, but I decided it was a happy accident making the dilapidated shed look just that much more so.

One of the shelves of books:

Mini faux joinery sans books:

Closed hatch:

Pile of wee books:

Can you tell I'm proud of the books, in a survived-a-harrowing-event kind of way?  Wink

And a shot with a moose for scale:

My partner likes moose (even though they eat her garden) and when going thru my stash initially looking for inspiration I'd pulled it out, so I sent him along as a surprise extra.  I refrained from glittering his antlers, since glitter is MY vice, not hers.   Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012 10:55:30 AM »

Oh, this is stunning. I love the tiny wee books and the beautiful shed to keep them in, but I'm afraid to say hoarding books is not a vice. Definitely not. Perhaps it might be a genetic abnormality but I would never accuse my mother of having a vice, or confess to one myself (we both have bookcases in the corridors!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012 11:07:56 AM »

That is such great work, and love everything about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012 11:29:48 AM »

Thank you both!

Antidigger, I think hoarding books is a sign of intelligence and sophistication myself.  In fact most of the books I vandalized to make the books I've had for years, because I couldn't quite come up with a project worthy of their desecration.   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camelama
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012 12:21:03 PM »

You're killing me here with the mini-library, skulls, faux bois, copper, globe, and the straw that broke the camel's - er, I mean, the last straw - THE ITTY BITTY MINI BOOKS.

MISS T you rock. you kick rocking's butt. you OWN rocking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012 12:32:50 PM »

You're killing me here with the mini-library, skulls, faux bois, copper, globe, and the straw that broke the camel's - er, I mean, the last straw - THE ITTY BITTY MINI BOOKS.

Wow.  Thanks, lady!  Sheesh, I'm humbled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012 12:44:08 PM »

I adore this. You got me with the "wood" shelves and books, but oh, lordy, when the skeletons were revealed........my gasp sucked all the air out of the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012 01:45:26 PM »

ohhh its book hoarding in this house Cheesy  Actually more precisely "text" hoarding which would encompass the stacks of magazines, books I read, craft books, old moldy books I use for art....you know necessary stuff!  I so love this tin with so many of my favourite things...copper, skulls, distressed paint and teeny books!!  You have rocked my socks TheMistressT!

haha the first thought I had when I saw the moose was that he would look fab with a coat of glitter...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012 02:42:40 PM »

I adore this. You got me with the "wood" shelves and books, but oh, lordy, when the skeletons were revealed........my gasp sucked all the air out of the room.

Thanks!  I love that paper and am soooo sad the local chain of paper stores that carried it closed their doors at the beginning of the year!   Cry  I can't believe how hard it was for me to find small skulls!  Skulls are pretty popular, but none of the craft stores i got to had ANY.  Luckily, I spied a bead store on a visit to my home town and they had these!  

ohhh its book hoarding in this house Cheesy  Actually more precisely "text" hoarding which would encompass the stacks of magazines, books I read, craft books, old moldy books I use for art....you know necessary stuff!  I so love this tin with so many of my favourite things...copper, skulls, distressed paint and teeny books!!  You have rocked my socks TheMistressT!

haha the first thought I had when I saw the moose was that he would look fab with a coat of glitter...

Come over to the sparkly side... we have show tunes.   Roll Eyes

I'm so glad you like it!  I was worried I couldn't be "rusty" enough.  The sunset book is an ad for tourism of Oregon Coast from a magazine, just because I knew you were also a magazine junky connoisseur.  I just got the pics of your masterpiece and will edit them now, then post 'em in the gallery!  WHEE!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012 07:16:26 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: spelling. oof. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012 05:33:34 PM »

This is so amazingly detailed! I gotta say my favorite part is the skull hidey-hole...but I also love the lil globe. Inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012 07:18:28 PM »

This is so amazingly detailed! I gotta say my favorite part is the skull hidey-hole...but I also love the lil globe. Inspiring!

Thank you!  The hidey hole made be cackle while constructing it!  I love little sneaky surprises in things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JellyBabyK9
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012 08:38:02 AM »

The amount of detail that you put into this is absolutely amazing! I especially loved that the books had actual pages that you could leaf through and not to mention the fact that the librarian had skeletons in her library lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

___________________ ________________
http://themishmashofmarsh.blogspot.com/
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012 09:06:39 AM »

I love this tin, with all its wee books and moosey patron.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012 06:49:35 AM by rackycoo - Reason: ack! typo! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
TheMistressT

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012 06:56:56 PM »

The amount of detail that you put into this is absolutely amazing! I especially loved that the books had actual pages that you could leaf through and not to mention the fact that the librarian had skeletons in her library lol.

Thank you!  TheMistress is in the details... or something.   Cheesy

I love this tin, with all its wee books and moosey patron.  Cheesy

Thank ya, ma'am!  Moose are known bibliophiles!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012 06:49:57 AM by rackycoo - Reason: fixed my own typo. :D » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012 08:18:43 AM »

Shocked WOW. Shocked This is beyond amazing. Your swap partner must have been so thrilled! Every single detail is so remarkable and beautifully executed, and I cannot believe you even made pages for the books. Truly incredible. The skulls were a brilliant touch, by the way, and I love the replica library sign-out card! This goes so far beyond rocking.

I agree, you have reached a whole new level of rocking!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012 08:22:24 AM by amelie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
TheMistressT

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012 03:40:48 PM »

Shocked WOW. Shocked This is beyond amazing. Your swap partner must have been so thrilled! Every single detail is so remarkable and beautifully executed, and I cannot believe you even made pages for the books. Truly incredible. The skulls were a brilliant touch, by the way, and I love the replica library sign-out card! This goes so far beyond rocking.

I agree, you have reached a whole new level of rocking!

Well, thank you so much!  I'm sitting in my dining room blushing to myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012 08:19:39 PM »

I love all the details! This rocks so hard.
And there's no such thing as too many books, only a lack of shelves. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
TheMistressT

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012 06:22:54 AM »

I love all the details! This rocks so hard.
And there's no such thing as too many books, only a lack of shelves. Grin

Thank you!  And I totally agree about the books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012 07:03:25 AM »

Knowing the recipient of this tin, you have definitely captured her extraordinary love/lust of books, skulls, and weathered objects!!  Maybe if she sees this everyday, she will be able to purge herself of these vices...or not! Cheesy

ha--I loved this tin...so much detail in the finished project and now, the details further explained in a an abundance of words...wonderful story of your creative process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012 08:14:34 PM »

That's incredible! I had no idea an altoid tin could be so fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
TheMistressT

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012 06:12:15 AM »

Knowing the recipient of this tin, you have definitely captured her extraordinary love/lust of books, skulls, and weathered objects!!  Maybe if she sees this everyday, she will be able to purge herself of these vices...or not! Cheesy

ha--I loved this tin...so much detail in the finished project and now, the details further explained in a an abundance of words...wonderful story of your creative process!

thanks!  Perhaps I said too much?  Roll Eyes

That's incredible! I had no idea an altoid tin could be so fantastic!

Thank you!  You should see the gallery for this swap.  And the other swaps!  Every single tin is incredible.  Every.  Single.  Tin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012 12:07:26 PM »

As someone new to the altered arts, I LOVE learning about how the artist got from point A to point B...no such thing as too much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrsBowles

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012 07:29:42 PM »

Speechless...again! (I find it VERY interesting that the swap moderator just happened to get you for a partner. I would have totally done the same  Wink  )
I love everything about this. The globe may be my favorite, though. I was thinking the shelf needed a skull...i.e. "alas, poor Yorick", and behold! a whole cubby full!
And the library book card touches the heart of this oldster.

Now, I'm wondering what a scoring board is.

Really excellent photos, too. Not to be taken for granted!

xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012 07:38:34 PM »

As someone new to the altered arts, I LOVE learning about how the artist got from point A to point B...no such thing as too much! Cheesy

And I did put a warning of sorts at the beginning...

Speechless...again! (I find it VERY interesting that the swap moderator just happened to get you for a partner. I would have totally done the same  Wink  )
I love everything about this. The globe may be my favorite, though. I was thinking the shelf needed a skull...i.e. "alas, poor Yorick", and behold! a whole cubby full!
And the library book card touches the heart of this oldster.

Now, I'm wondering what a scoring board is.

Really excellent photos, too. Not to be taken for granted!

xox

THANK YOU, MrsB!  While my partner is a swap mod, she is not an organizer of this swap.  Why didn't they want me!?   Wink

Anyway, this is a scoring board: http://shop.marthastewart.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Scoring-Board-and/A/B0036FDKZS.htm and I'm looking forward to lots of accordion folding in my future as well as some envelope making.  Probably.

Love you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012 08:06:09 AM »

THANK YOU, MrsB!  While my partner is a swap mod, she is not an organizer of this swap.  Why didn't they want me!?   Wink

The swap organizers wanted everyone for our partners in that swap. Unfortunately, there was a "one partner per person" rule.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
TheMistressT

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012 11:25:45 AM »

The swap organizers wanted everyone for our partners in that swap. Unfortunately, there was a "one partner per person" rule.  Cheesy

That's what I figured.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012 09:52:50 AM »

Oh my gosh, this is so cool, I am jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helena Puck
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012 04:11:56 PM »

That's amazing! Such detail in a tiny thing. I love that the books are actual books with printed pages. Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
TheMistressT

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012 05:39:21 PM »

Thanks so much!

That's amazing! Such detail in a tiny thing. I love that the books are actual books with printed pages. Beautiful work!

For some reason it was important to me that all the books opened and had pages with content.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012 05:56:43 PM »

I second this. Really, really cool! I love how they look spread out in a jumble: just like real bigger books! Love the globe and check-out card too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012 05:57:03 PM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrisSews
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012 08:15:50 PM »

That is fantastic.  I love all the little details you put into this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012 09:49:13 PM »

Oh my gosh, I can't even tell you how much I love every centimeter of this project. It makes my librarian heart sing! Wonderful work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
TheMistressT

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012 06:15:32 AM »

Thanks so much youse guys!

Oh my gosh, I can't even tell you how much I love every centimeter of this project. It makes my librarian heart sing! Wonderful work!!

I thought a lot about my elementary school library and librarians when I was working on this, especially the card and pocket.  Man, I miss card catalogs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012 06:16:04 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012 07:15:54 AM »

Me, too! I dream of buying an old one some day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
TheMistressT

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012 06:18:23 PM »

Me, too! I dream of buying an old one some day.

I have that same dream!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012 06:30:05 PM »

Some day! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012 08:43:37 AM »

Good lord! Look at all the DETAILS! 0.0 I would have gone crazy making all of those little books! Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

July ATC Swap: ongoing!

Can't swap? I do commissions too Wink
TheMistressT

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012 01:15:01 PM »

Good lord! Look at all the DETAILS! 0.0 I would have gone crazy making all of those little books! Great job Smiley

Thank you!  Yeah, the books almost did me in, but I knew in my little crafty heart they were absolutely necessary.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dcomme
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012 06:55:07 AM »

Magnifique !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry for my bad english
helbo
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012 03:15:08 PM »

Love, Love, Love this!!!!!!!  What incredible detail....  Must post to my Pinterest.
      So in awe
           Helen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012 05:27:40 PM »

Love, Love, Love this!!!!!!!  What incredible detail....  Must post to my Pinterest.
      So in awe
           Helen

Awww, thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennifer680
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012 06:45:18 AM »

You are my hero/heroine! As a new entrant into the world of altered tins, your work is remarkable and inspires me.

Thank you for making this library! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CDEeeek
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012 06:08:39 AM »

I love this so much I can't even find the words. It reminds me of the Little Free Library project. Here's an example, but if you Google it, you can see all kinds of examples all over the world. Oh, and yours comes up too!!!

http://ifounddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tumblr_lrppt30wpe1qzj51vo1_500.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
TheMistressT

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012 10:38:17 PM »

You are my hero/heroine! As a new entrant into the world of altered tins, your work is remarkable and inspires me.

Thank you for making this library! Grin

I'm not worthy!  This was only my second one and I haven't be able to do one since!  This place is crawling with genius altered tins!  THANK YOU!

I love this so much I can't even find the words. It reminds me of the Little Free Library project. Here's an example, but if you Google it, you can see all kinds of examples all over the world. Oh, and yours comes up too!!!

http://ifounddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tumblr_lrppt30wpe1qzj51vo1_500.jpg

Thank you so much!  I am going to google that right away (I already checked your link).  I just moved to a very small town that does not have it's own library (there are in the next town on either side, though) but the community has put together a free lending library in a room at the local grocery store!  I haven't used it yet, but I love the idea so much!  I will definitely be donating books there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014 05:36:41 PM »

~*Congrats! You've been pinned to Craftster's Altoids Tin Crafting Pinterest Board.*~ Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pulitzer Prize Winner Doris Kearns Goodwin on Christmas Memories
Jessica Lamb-Shapiro: What Are You Reading?
New Harry Potter Story: JK Rowling Working On Upcoming Play
Produce Buying Tips
Doris Kearns Goodwin on Roosevelt, Taft and the Progressive Era
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...