A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adventures in sewing - 25 yd skirt (loads of photos and a story)  (Read 4132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

parallax
« on: March 02, 2012 02:23:59 PM »

The skirt:

IMG_7959 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

I started belly dancing over a decade ago from VHS tapes of Nina and Vina, the belly dance twins. Over the years, I've dropped in on workshops and short-term classes but primarily worked from videos. I finally had the time and ability to take formal classes and found a tribal style teacher about 45 minutes from my place.
I'm going to be performing with that troupe for Club Belly Dance  (http://www.bellydancesuperstars.com/club/) when it hits my city in a couple weeks and I needed a costume.
The teacher requested that we wear double-sided 25-yard skirts - black on the outside and any bright color we want on the underside - with a black bra decorated with silver accents. I am super under-employed right now and the thought of spending $120+ on a reversible skirt (or even more on two skirts) made me cringe.
After finding out that "tissue" weight cotton and even gauze is unavailable locally and ridiculously expensive, I hopped over to Joann's and bought a bolt of 36" bleached muslin with a coupon. Came to about $22, woohoo! Less than a dollar a yard. I cut the bolt in two 12.5 yard pieces and washed the fabric multiple times to get it as soft as possible and then went to town.

IMG_7949 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

Turns out iron 12.5 yards of fabric takes me about 2 hours. That sucked.

Then I spent too much time scribbling rectangles on scrap paper and doing math trying to figure out optimal yardage for my strips. I'm short, I wanted a 36" finished length. I did 5 tiers. I'm also lazy and didn't want to hem 25 yards so I ended up wasting a little fabric and cutting 4.5" wide strips the length of each selvedge edge for my bottom tier. The next two tiers were about 8" wide and each half as long as the tier before. The fourth tier was 9" wide and the fifth tier was something like 12" to make up for the turned-over waistband. The length, in inches, for each tier turned out to be:
1 - 900"
2 - 450"
3 - 225"
4 - 110"
5 - 54"

Then the ruffling. I decided to ruffle in straight lines and then sew up the back seam afterwards rather than try to fit it in loops - that is my best piece of advice, working on a trapezoid rather than a series of circles is far easier.
I would say thank god for ruffler foots but mine didn't quite work properly. I have a $20 universal foot from Amazon, rather than the $80 one that Viking sells for their machines. I've made less voluminous tiered skirts with it before without issue but this was way more ruffling than I've ever done. I calculated my ruffling factor using this tutorial: http://www.youcanmakethis.com/products/free/free-the-ruffler-unruffled.htm but I don't know if 12" vs. 900" was just too much to get an accurate count but I was way off every time. Thankfully, the ruffle was a little too long rather than too short so I ended up hand pinning each tier after ruffling it. The first two tiers were torturous due to the incredible length. I hated it. The vibrations from my machine and foot were also pulling my sewing machine around in weird ways. In fact, there is now a permanent groove in the part of my machine where the "C" arm of the foot hooks! I had a few temper tantrums during this process, took apart the needle shaft and bent some metal pieces back into place, and ended up wrapping electric tape around the part of the shaft that the arm hooks on to protect it. This was also torturous and hellish - for a while I thought I broke my machine.
I also went online to purchase dye from Dharma Trading and found out it would cost me over $30 to achieve a true black on this amount of fabric!! Forget that. Between the dying costs and the frustrations ruffling, I ended up buying a black skirt from Tribe Nawaar. It's totally gorgeous and I love it. Also gave me something to practice in for a week while I was still working on my initial skirt.
Once the Tribe Nawaar skirt came in, I quickly realized that 1.5 yards for the yoke was not enough fabric and that my upper thighs were actually going to be a bit restricted in movement. I fussed around with measurements and re-did my yoke tier with 3 pieces that ended up 80" at the bottom and 50" at the top. Enough for fullness without having it all end up gathered at my waist.
Using this tutorial: http://mac-aroni-n-cheese.blogspot.com/2009/12/tutorial-drawcord-elastic.html I attempted a drawcord elastic waistband for the first time. It turned out lumpy and messy. Thankfully, no one will ever see the waistband. EVER.
I dumped the skirt into my washer full of hot water and a bottle of liquid RIT dye in "wine" and let it do its thing. After going to check on it, I spent an hour unclogging the sink that my washer empties into and freaking out that purple dye water was going to flood the basement, I had a fully sewn, dyed 25 yd. skirt.

IMG_7958 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

IMG_7957 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

Swirly! Swooshy!

IMG_7956 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

Layered with the black skirt, tucked at hips:

IMG_7951 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

IMG_7950 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

My favorite tuck style - a bustle tuck! I will totally use this for steampunk goodness:

IMG_7952 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

IMG_7954 by parallaxreality, on Flickr

All in all..it was an adventure. I don't intend to do this again, although I'm not sure what I'll do with the other 12.5 yards. Maybe some pantaloons.
I'm still working on the bra and belt, and will probably make a turkish vest to go along. So expect more pictures in a few weeks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 02:30:12 PM by parallax » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012 02:46:01 PM »

Great job - I made my first 25 yrd skirt at Christmas - I know what a pain they are to make  Wink Mine is actually a similar colour to yours as well although I think you did a better job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012 02:54:44 PM »

That is AWESOME! I love the bustle tuck, LOVE it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012 09:18:30 PM »

BEAUTIFUL skirt! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012 03:25:17 PM »

And, btw, CONGRATS! The performance opportunity is amazing, shake and undulate and shimmy like mad. Get it, girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
michellebelle
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013 12:50:10 AM »

Nice job. That is A LOT of fabric! Good luck with your Belly dancing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013 09:39:21 AM »

Thanks for the pics - even thought they are with a mirror, they totally give me the inspiration vibe!! You need a tripod and a remote for the camera, so you can show us off some more! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
gigiriv
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013 03:45:54 PM »

wow what an awesome job!  I tried once but when I kept getting lost in the fabric and sewing large chunks incorrectly I gave up.  What an ambitious project!  And it turned out so wonderfully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013 07:31:32 AM »

Love it! I'm not a belly dancer, but I want to make the skirt now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liliv-1
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013 03:09:58 PM »

Wow!! I love this skirt!! Must have been a ton of work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Camera Monopod Walking Stick
Digital Camera Tips: Stage Lighting Setup
Digital Camera Tips: Lens Cleaning
Digital Camera Tips: Why Not Auto White Balance
Digital Camera Tips: When to use the Flash
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...