A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help me with my mosaic pretty please i'm having a nightmare!  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissThing
« on: March 01, 2012 08:06:07 AM »

hiya guys,

well my problem isnt strictly to do with glass but its a glass technique i'm using so i hope its ok to write this here, basically i'm trying my hand at mosaic. i'm working with a simple paper mache model horse i bought from hobby craft and some " moulded plastic" not glass tiles which i've cut up smaller. anyway the tiles packet said to use a silicone adhesive to fix them which i did and then after 48 hours of tiny tiling and grouting the whole thing fell apart. the tiles pealed of the horse with the slightest touch and rubbing the grout on made the rest fall off no matter how gently i tried. even after it had dried i could just using my fingest peal off the whole thing and i am now back to a bare paper mache horse.............. .............

and so my question is what would be a better glue to use for plastic tiles, on paper mache, as although the tiles were plastic they were not cheap and i've waisted at least 3/4 of what i had so before i start again and waist the rest please help..........what should i do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful; or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

http://pinterest.com/icanhasdreamz/
http://www.wists.com/ICanHasDreamz
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012 09:24:38 AM »

Hi
Sorry you're having trouble, but hopefully we can solve your issues.

First, I have a question concerning the paper mache' model horse. Is it sealed somehow to protect it from water damage? With a painted or sprayed on sealer, to protect from moisture.

For your adhesive, what did you use specifically? Did you use a silicone? I'm not a fan of silicone, unless it is for outside.

For the kind of mosaic materials you mentioned I would use Weldbond, for the adhesive. It will adhere the plastic to the paper, and hold it firm. Only if the horse has some how been sealed to protect it from the moisture.

Using plastic in mosaic is not an issue, even if it is not expensive. You really can use most anything in mosaic, as long as you prep the surfaces, if that is required.

Let me know how else I can help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
My Etsy
Help Fight Breast Cancer
MissThing
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012 07:31:02 AM »

Thansk loads for your help. the paper mache horse came sealed but with what i dont know Smiley was fininding myself really impatient to get this finished so decided to try out a test with some good old trusty modge podge and had brilliant results. the tiles stuck really strong so i got stuck into the horse thingy. and i was so impatient i've finished it just waiting for the grout to set a bit more then buff it up Cheesy the pattern is a little different to what i intended as i lost a lot of the white tiles due to the mistake but i'm really pleased i think Mosaic is going to be one of my new favourite things Smiley thanks loads for your advice i'll bare it in mind for my next mosaic preoject Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful; or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

http://pinterest.com/icanhasdreamz/
http://www.wists.com/ICanHasDreamz
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Crab Claws
How to Make a Fish and BLT Wrap
How to make Grilled Barbecue Chicken Skewers
How to Make Rum Muffins
Sweet Potato Pie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...