A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Belly band for dog (with tutorial)  (Read 4753 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whipandchi
« on: February 29, 2012 05:06:17 PM »

I needed a belly band to put on my 14 year old chihuahua Jose' to prevent him from marking in the house. After housetraining him when he came to us at 11 years old he has been reliably clean in the house for the 3 years that we have had him, but I think there is an unspayed female in heat in our neighbourhood. Jose' comes from a hoarder and was not neutered until just before we got him so he knows what his "boy parts" are for. So time for a belly band to reinforce that all pee belongs outside.

I tried a cotton one that I had made for a little dog that boarded with us but it was uncomfortable for him as he has very little fur on the inside of his backs legs. I decided to try making one out of something soft and stretchy. I choose blue polar fleece for the lining and a patterned cotton t-shirting material for the outer layer. Here is how I made it...

Decide how wide and how long you need you band to be, For Jose' I wanted the finished band to be 4" wide and 14" long. (He is 12" around just in front of his back legs). I cut a strip 4 1/2" X 14 1/4" from each of my 2 fabrics. Remember when you are measuring that these fabrics stretch so take that into account when cutting them out. If you cut them too long the excess can be trimmed of after the velcro is applied.

Place the fabrics right sides together, pin to hold the 2 layers in place and, using a straight stretch stitch or a narrow zigzag, sew around 3 sides (long, short, long) with a 1/4" seam. It is important to use a stretch stitch so the stitches don't break when you stretch the band on you dog. Cut across the corners and trim the polar fleece close to the stiching line to reduce bulk.

Turn right side out and push out the corners with a chopstick or a knitting needle. It will look like this...

Sew the hook side of the velcro to the sewn end of the wrong side of the band.

Try the band on your dog and mark where to put the loop side of the velcro on the wrong side of the band. Stitch the velcro in place and trim of any extra fabric off. If you wish you can finish the edge that you have trimmed with an overlock or zigzag stitch.

This is what it will look like...

And here is Jose' modeling his "bad boy band"...

He is much more comfortable in this soft stretchy band.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012 10:31:33 AM by whipandchi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinkykimmy17
Kimmy <3

Bulltshit and Attitude will get you far in life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012 09:51:24 AM »

This is brilliant!!! wish I had seen this when we first got our pug shitzu mix,Oscar; like urs, he knows his boy parts and would cock his leg on anything that he felt needed to be marked as his.  We're looking to get another dog sometime in the near future and this will be a great training tool!!  Thanks for posting it!!!:D Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimmy <3
whipandchi
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012 10:40:49 AM »

The band is very effective for Jose' - he hasn't tried to lift his leg in the house since he started wearing it. Some dogs will continue to pee while wearing a band - for those dogs you can line the band with a mini pad.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smileyyogini
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013 11:21:02 AM »

Brilliant! I have bought three diapers for my chiweenie (chihuahua dachshund) and they are pricey and unattractive. To fit a wide variety with just three sizes they made them balloony. And pricey!!! I pay about $8 each and Im feeling very optimistic about having an whole wardrobe of them for Hunter, now.

He isnt a marker...we got him fixed before he got 'the hint'...but the chihuahua in him makes for some gnarly excitement squirts. You walk in the room he leaks pee, you say walk...he leaks pee, you let he out of his crate...*sigh*. This is a total rescue for Hunter. He gives two paws up! Ill post a pic when I get some made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiles,
Melody

Crafting for the Monster Swap!

www.MelodyCrochet.c om

http://pinterest.com/smileyyogini
JudyDB
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013 09:27:08 AM »

I just brought a 5 yr old Chi home. His master was in a nursing home for the past 3 months and Sparky lived with the man's son. Until then, Sparky never hiked his leg indoors. After being an only dog, he was then with a pack and began leg lifting indoors. I caught him doing it last night so right now I have a strip of fleece tied around him! Nobody in my pack does this and I don't want it started!

Thank you for the simple instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Judy

I sew and do machine embroidery. At this stage of life, I try to keep things simple.
chippet
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013 07:16:58 PM »

You're welcome. Hopefully once your little guy settles in he will stop trying to mark. Jose' was marking when he came to us but he stopped trying after a couple of weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All That Is Red
Author Anna Caltabiano Talks Pain and Survival
Being A Writer Helps Me With Depression
The “Right” Way to Fight Book Trailer
The Idolatry of God by Peter Rollins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...