A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilted Thow Pillow Sham  (Read 768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fringey
« on: February 28, 2012 08:56:30 PM »

I have recently been learning to sew, and I wanted to try quilting, so I made this pillow sham. I used the tutorial from the Craftster Sewing for Beginners article a few weeks back, I just used a small quilted piece as the font. It went very smoothly until I was at the point to join the two halves of the quilted bit together. One half was a whole inch longer than the other, even though they have the same number of sections and SHOULD be the same length. I left enough extra room for myself that it wasn't really a problem, just the two halves don't line up the way I wanted to. I ended up quilting each half separately and had a ton of thread ends to hide. Unfortunately, the backing on the quilted bit was poorly cut (measure twice!) and maybe rotated a bit when I first started quilting so that reduced the size of the quilted piece even further. I was concerned that the sham would not be big enough to fit my pillow in after all this inadvertent size reduction, so when i sewed the front and back together I stitched as close to the edge of the material as possible, and it actually ended up slightly too big! Ah well, I still think it turned out pretty wel, and I learned a lot.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012 09:02:03 PM »

Really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012 01:42:58 AM »

Those colors on the front of the pillow look beautiful together. And don't worry. I don't know how many time I've measured and cut something and it still end up being too long or short. That's why we're crafty folk, we figure out a way to make it work.Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012 08:08:40 AM »

This pillow is awesome!  Lovely color selection, and you did a great job - I would not guess that you had some little troubles along the way!  Always leave more fabric than you need for a finished piece, because when quilting, the fabric will "shrink" - that's just quilting!  I love the way it doesn't match up on the front - so cool - love the quilting you did too.  Okay, now get out there and do a throw-size!! You obviously have the talent and the skill.  GREAT first time quilting project!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012 09:50:21 AM »

That's a really pretty cover!!  It looks great and you should be proud of it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Fringey
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012 09:58:31 AM »

Thanks everybody! I have a really short attention span for craft projects so I thought once this was done that quilting might not be for me because it takes so long, but I'm so pleased with the way this turned out and so in love with all the contemporary quilt designs i have been researching, I think I may try a lap quilt when I have the money for fabric. Thanks for all the encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using the New Lomo Effect in Photoshop Elements 9
Backing Up Photos
How to Escape a Dialog Box in Photoshop Elements
How to Fake Depth of Field in Photoshop Elements
Image Adjustment Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...