A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 3657 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012 10:27:26 AM »

I, personally, would go ahead and get the CS600I.  It gives you so many more decorative stitches including several one-step buttonholes.

Then when you go visit your mother, bring home your old machine.  As long as you have the space for it, an extra machine is always handy.  I have three sewing machines, a serger, and an embroidery machine to accomodate all my needs. 

I would recommend that you take the old Singer in for a servicing when you get it.  It is a machine and they do need maintenance every now and then.  Especially if they have been sitting in storage for a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
MooCowing
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012 10:49:13 AM »

Thanks, Mary. Smiley

I remember my granny has two sewing machines (her old one, and my mom's), and a serger as well. I never got a chance to use the serger, and it was intimidating at best. But yes, I agree that having two sewing machines is a good idea.

Where would I take a sewing machine to get serviced?

I found an ad on Craigslist today for a Singer that looks like its from the 60s or 70s. It comes with a beautiful sewing table with fold out sides and a full cabinet underneath. It's only $50 for all of it. If anything, the table is worth that much even if the machine is junk. Either way, I'm going to wait for a reply before I run out and buy a new sewing machine.
http://images.craigslist.org/5Z45Kf5Fc3Gb3N83o2c2ff3b16155fd5310ad.jpg
It won't let me post a picture yet, but here's a link. ^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012 01:05:09 PM »

You could ask at your Joanns if they have people they recommend.  Otherwise look for a sewing machine dealer or someone who services small machines.  I have a couple of small sewing shops near me and one services Brothers and Vikings and the other services Baby Locks.  There is also a small vaccuum store and they work on sewing machines as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012 08:23:46 PM »

For the price, I've been really happy with my Kenmore machines (from Sears).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MooCowing
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012 04:36:35 PM »

Never heard back from the guy on Craigslist.

After much debate and many reviews, I decided on the Brother XL-2600i only to discover that it will take two weeks to ship out here. I'm impatient. So I called around, and the local walmart has the Brother LX-2500, which is a similar model with fewer features at the same price. I will be purchasing the LX-2500 tomorrow, and if in a month or so I decide it's too simple for me I will order another model with more features and return the LX-2500 when it arrives. Although, I don't think I'll need anything other than the basics any time soon, so I'm sure the LX-2500 is going to be great.

Thanks again, everyone for all of the advice! I'll post periodically around the forums so I can show off my progress. I think I'm going to start with simple projects, like my own cloth grocery bags and maybe some small plushies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burningpixie
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012 06:07:09 PM »

Thanks for this thread. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012 02:53:35 AM »

About the cat...

Make sure that you *always* put the thread away and/or cover the machine so that the cat cannot get at any of the thread. Cats have a tendency to eat thread, and that can kill them.

My cat survived, happily, but it was close.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JHall
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012 08:05:17 AM »

About the cat...

Make sure that you *always* put the thread away and/or cover the machine so that the cat cannot get at any of the thread. Cats have a tendency to eat thread, and that can kill them.

My cat has never done that!!! However, I will keep that in mind for future cats. (My old man is 14-15 years old Sad ... so there will be future cats)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012 03:38:51 PM »

About the cat...

I got a Clover Stack and Store Bobbin Holder at my local sewing shop (at Amazon) and it's been a real life and thread saver. Even when I forget to put my thread back in the drawer, it's always clipped in, so I can always find it all. It's a little pricey for just starting out, but once you get enough bobbins that they start becoming cat toys, it's definitely worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
jslcook
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012 09:19:26 AM »

Thanks for this post...I have been really wanting to start sewing. I do cross stitch and i have 3 kids and really want to start learning to make things for them. this post has helped me a lot. i my self are thinking of going with the Brother XL-2600i or the Singer 3116 Sewing Machine. does anyone suggest which one would be better. just curious! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Anti-Aging Benefits Of Face Massage
Look Gorgeous This Thanksgiving With Cranberry Lips
Need to Know: The Perfect Long Sleeve T, Benetint, and the Snakeskin Trend
DIY Slimming Body Wrap
Blotting Sheets For Oily Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...