A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beeswax Lipbalm not holding scent?  (Read 815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manga_roo
« on: January 04, 2012 03:30:20 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and awful at religiously keeping track of topics but I'll do my best.

Anyhoo, I just started making cosmetics (mostly soaps but also body butters, lip balms etc) but I've come up a cropper making my first batch of lip balm today.

It's a simple beeswax recipe... melting down the wax, adding olive oil, flavours and then into the tins. When I was making small batches, I was using about 5 drops of fragrance and the small batches smelt fine. So, I scaled it all up and made it the exact same way. The amount of scent or EO used is totally overpowering when it's cooking (as you would guess, because of all the heating and fuming and whatnot...) but when it's put into the tins and cooled it smells of nothing.

Well, nearly nothing. Really faint, kinda waxy. I've tried leaving the scent or EO until the last second so that it's not heated long and tried adding at the beginning just incase... but nothing seems to work. I've made about three batches now, two of them were the same one melted back down and with added scent (about 40 drops in total) but still smelt only faintly. Also, with peppermint EO, the tingle isn't there on the bigger batches and little or no smell but it was just fine in the little testers! Sad

If you have any wise words or any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Tam
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012 03:42:10 PM »

Hi and welcome to Craftster!

When I make my lip balms I usually use a percentage of flavor oils (you're using flavor oils or certain essential oils and not fragrance oils, right? They need to be lip safe if ingested). From my notes it looks like I usually use about 6% flavor oil based on total weight of the recipe, but you can go by your preference and double check manufacturer's recommended usage rate and don't go over their maximum. Not adding it until the end is definitely smart!

Also, this forum has a great way of keeping track of posts you've replied to with a handy button found on the right side of the screen. Underneath the search box there are many rectangular blue boxes, and the one second from the bottom is "replies to your posts."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
WeLoveSoap
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012 07:11:55 AM »

I also use percentages. I usually stick around 3%. Also, I've noticed that some scents do just 'go away' in the final batch, whereas some will really pop! And sometimes it takes a day or two afterwards before it finally settles into it's final scent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012 08:11:12 AM »

I go with what Mare says when I make mine. Smiley  I have noticed with a few of the flavors/scents that they don't have a smell until they are used - like the top layer is holding the flavor/scent in?  Weird, but once used, they have a strong flavor/smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012 09:59:48 AM »

I like caramel and fruity flavors like strawberry. Apricot too! Tip: I prefer to buy pre-sweetened flavor oils rather than un-sweetened ones, just easier in the long run than buying and adding sweetener to each batch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Change Up Your Look with Hair Extensions
How To Get Effortless Beach Wavy Hair
How To Style Your Hair Using A Hair Wand
Amber Valletta at Her Allure June 2014 Shoot
The 5 Best Curling Irons
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...