A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First completed Teesha Moore style patch bag, stolen immediately by my daughter.  (Read 5893 times)
Tags for this thread: teesha_moore , bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2012 03:14:41 PM »

I've been playing around with this technique for a while as well as swapping craft supplies etc for patches with people here AND I just finished a swap from which I received 9 lovely patches from my Craftster partners Smiley so I finally had enough of them to make a bag, yay!
My fingers are a little sore from all the stitching through many layers of fabric, ouchy. And of course my daughter has claimed the finished product for herself, she pretty much made it clear it was going to be hers when I first got started, lol. Each patch is a little treasure in itself with so much to look at, she loves those Eye Spy books and this is like a 3D version of that. She's filled it with things to take to school tomorrow for Show and Share, she's pretty excited to show it off.

All finished!

Front

Back

Side and bottom

Other side and bottom

Handle and flap

And the girl after I handed it over. Guess mine's next, ha ha.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
dmarie360
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012 03:19:47 PM »

I love the handle and the flap.  I'm in the process of making squares for 2 bags, so I'll definitely add these features.  The handle looks so professional compared to my braided one.  Great job!  (I gave my first bag away, too, so that's why I'm making one for myself!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like and Dislikes
Pinterest
Bookmwark Swap Round 5 - completed
Will do personal swaps for Teesha Moore patches
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012 03:27:57 PM »

I love the braided handles! I felt too lazy to do it though, lol. This was easier for me. It's a piece of fleece sandwiched between two fabrics, I trimmed the fleece right to the seam allowance once I'd machine sewn around all 4 sides. Then turned over the edges and zigzagged on the machine, did a decorative stitch from one side all the way to the other side to keep it all stable. The handle is super strong, I had to wash it and it held up great! The fleece I used for the inside was from a bag of clothes somebody donated to me and the soap it had been washed in was heavily fragranced so after I had it all sewn but before I attached it to the bag I tied it up in a pillow case and threw it in the washer and drier to get that smell out. Durable! Good thing too, 4 year olds don't tend towards gentleness, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012 03:35:49 PM »

Oh, great bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012 03:46:17 PM »

You did a great job on it! I love your idea of the top and flap, making your (well, your daughter's) stuff more secure than if it were just tote style. I may have to steal that one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012 03:55:51 PM »

Gorgeous bag! I don't blame your daughter for stealing it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012 04:15:49 PM »

Ah, thanks girls Smiley. It's so nice to look it over and see all the details, I was sent some really neat patches from other crafters. Some of my favourite parts though are the patches that people made after I turned them on to this style. I love that I addicted others crafters too, lol.
The thing about making a bag that's SO hard is choosing which patches to use. There were so many more I wanted to include but making them go together is like trying to get puzzle pieces to fit. What I ended up with was totally different than the first configuration, ha ha, I took some patches out and put some other ones in to get the size and shape right and even then I had to overlap here and there. I can see how journal covers end up with little empty spaces here and there! Can't exactly do that on a bag though... not unless the lining is pretty heavy. I didn't even line this, it's fine without it. I might add one eventually though, depends how everything holds up. We'll see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012 04:50:43 PM »

so beautiful CLM! I esp adore the handle and flap also, and all the fabulous wee patches!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012 07:28:37 AM »

CLM, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to make something out of my patches also.  But it's going to be awhile.  WE found out this week, we are moving from Al to FL for hubby's job.  So all of the crafting stuff has to be packed up for a few weeks.  I'm gonna go bonkers with no crafting to do.  I plan to keep my patches that I have already stuffed out in a sep tote to work on when I get a chance or when riding on that longggggggggggggg move.

This is awesome though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012 07:35:46 AM »

Congrats! This is definitely a great travel project, I took tons of pillows with me when I went away for a month long training course, I always had one in my hand. It's super fun to have a little craft you can pick and put down any time. Plus there's so much satisfaction when you finish a square, and you can finish so many! LOL, this is one of my fave projects for sure, love that Teesha Moore So Muchy! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind The Scenes: IDW Comic-Con Exclusives
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
How to Draw Final Fantasy Characters
How to Draw Tails
How to Draw Fairy Tail Lucy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...