A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help on this dress?  (Read 1659 times)
Tags for this thread: construction , prom_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kraize4step
« on: February 26, 2012 02:48:22 PM »

Ok so I wanted to make a prom dress and finished it, but after looking at it I realized that It wasnt what I really wanted for my senior prom dress. I donated my the first dress I made and Then I saw it!! The most amazing dress ever. I wanted to do an ombre effect from red to black on this dress but Its an expensive wedding dress that wont even be out before my prom >.> I was curious What the basic pattern pieces for it was, or basic costruction for this dress. I want to build a corset underneath and put lace on it to represent the top and put satin type pieces above it. But Im confused about the skirt. Tips on drafting the dress? What fabric would be  best? I thouht a poly-satin to work with dye-in the fabric afterwards. Any help is appreciated ^.^
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012 09:52:31 AM by kraize4step » THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Chibirinoa
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012 10:21:22 AM »

For the skirt you can use a pattern like this one: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6030-products-10728.php?page_id=109 but I would cut panels three times the size of what they ask for and gather it onto the bodice to get the fullness. The best kind of fabric would be lightweight organza or silky light weight fabrics.
Do you plan on dyeing the dress afterwards? If so polyester satin is very difficult to dye and you are better off using an already dyed ombre satin. If you want to dye it yourself you should use silk since it takes dye a lot better than polyester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To see more of my projects please visit http://www.laurakane.webs.com!
kraize4step
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012 03:45:11 PM »

For the skirt you can use a pattern like this one: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6030-products-10728.php?page_id=109 but I would cut panels three times the size of what they ask for and gather it onto the bodice to get the fullness. The best kind of fabric would be lightweight organza or silky light weight fabrics.
Do you plan on dyeing the dress afterwards? If so polyester satin is very difficult to dye and you are better off using an already dyed ombre satin. If you want to dye it yourself you should use silk since it takes dye a lot better than polyester.
I was told silk soaks up color to quickly to be considered a decent fabric option. I wanted to dye it red to black
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Glossy Menu - Pixelmator
How to Create Wavy Lines - Illustrator
How to Create Brushes Photoshop
How to Create Images Within Text - Pixelmator
How to Create a Dirty Poster - Pixelmator
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...