A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First effort at Crewelwork - UPDATED  (Read 3120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vicelikeplague
« on: February 26, 2012 09:46:32 AM »

I decided to take a course with the Royal School of Needlework (based just outside of London).  It is a certificate in technical hand embroidery, I have four topics to do, and decided to start with Crewelwork!  

Crewelwork is worked in wool threads on a heavy linen twill.  I had to design my own image in the Jacobean style.  Sadly I struggled to find information on Crewelwork or the Jacobean style so had to wing it slightly.  The course syllabus gave guidance on the elements that needed to be included, these where:

tree of life
over sized leaves and flowers
hillocks
an animal

I managed to draw most the the elements, except the parrot and flower and leaf at the top of the image.  I photocopied these out of the only book I could find on the subject, that was sadly short on words but, thankfully, heavy on design ideas!

My tutors at the RSN suggested the spray of "berries" at the top of the image and I was off!  picking the colour palette was lots of fun, along with learning all the stitches.  I have never worked this technique before, so I learnt an awful lot!  

sadly I didn't get pictures of it in progress, so I only have the final project which is this:

As I have enjoyed crewelwork so much, I have decided I want to try a few small designs to play with stitches and colour, I have come up with a butterfly but am also working on a couple of other shapes to fill!  

My next topic is blackwork - which I am also really looking forward to!

UPDATE:  I have just realised I have some additional pictures of the piece, sadly it is before the "parrot-scaping"  that is the trimming of a stitch call Turkey rug stitch (on the parrot's head).  Turkey rug stitch is a series of loops and holding stitches that you then trim and shape!  quite fun but quite unnerving when you take a pair of scissors to you work!!

Anyway here we go!

this is a close up of the middle leaf, the stitches covering it is known as trellis work.  Basically, long stitches that come up at one edge and go down at the opposite edge, width and length wise with a securing stitch where they cross.  This should form squares (that's when you know you have done it right)  you then fill in as desired.  if you look at the belly of the bird it is also stitched in this manor with french knots around where the threads cross.  On the leaf I went all out and formed a sort of tartan pattern with large squares overlaid on the basic grid, with french knots to hide the plunged threads.  I then couched the same colour as the french knots (yellow) with the basic grid colour (dark blue)  using the basic grid as a guide to place my hold stitches.

this is a close up of the top of the piece, lots of decorative surface stitches, most of which I hadn't tried before.  Also scary blending of block shading and long and short (where the turquoise blends with the purple just above the parrots head.

this is the bottom, mainly seed stitch and long and short shading, which started of fun, but became a bit of a headache!  the two hillocks are burden stitch (on the left) which is made up of vertical long stitches with small interlock horizontal stitches over the top (it can also work with short vertical stitches over horizontal long stitches) and chain stitches on the right - that was fun to do, especially gettin the middle row straight ( or nearly straight!)

hope you like the close ups
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012 08:24:27 AM by Vicelikeplague » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012 09:53:52 AM »

Beautiful work! I love the colours you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012 10:25:10 AM »

Gorgeous, and so well done. Good luck with the blackwork, it is one of my favorites. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitary Cricket
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012 01:24:47 PM »

This is awesome! It sounds like a cool class.
I can't wait to see what you do next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012 01:05:25 AM »

Absolutely beautiful! You do wonderful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merrywether
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012 07:23:51 AM »

Beautiful! I love the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012 06:21:23 AM »

Wow, Amazing! You must have put a lot of time into that leaf! I'm kind of confused how you made the texture but I'm new to embroidery. I love the plants and the colors. Everything is so well put together. I would love to see more of your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012 11:47:53 AM »

I am so jealous that you took a class from the Royal School of Needlework!

Absolutely breathtaking work-it's just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliis
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012 01:28:20 AM »

This is amazing, I love your shadings in colors. You really should post few closeups as well, details on this are definitely worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012 10:21:08 PM »

Gorgeous! I love the colors and all of the different stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Garam Masala
How to Cook Palak Paneer
Herman Helmers Bakery Nepal
Swordfish at TAO with Chef John Villa
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...