A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Breaking Bad Gift Set  (Read 1997 times)
Tags for this thread: breaking_bad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: February 25, 2012 09:15:45 PM »

Couldn't figure out where to put this which usually means it goes here.

So my friend's birthday was last week and one of his favorite shows is Breaking Bad and since he just got me into the show, I decided to make him a Breaking Bad gift set for his birthday.

There's a shirt with his favorite quote on it, written in sky blue of course.

The Pollos Hermanos air freshner from Gus's car (stawberry scented, Gus seems like a strawberry kinda guy  Tongue ). I need to start making more air freshners, I forgot how easy and awsome they are.

And of course a bag of blue meth candy. My first time making hard candy, I'm quite proud of myself for not turning it into a burnt sugar mess. And it tastes like cotton candy too, since I've read that's what the prop on the show tastes like.

The only thing I whish I'd included was Tio's (Hector Salamanca) bell, but I didn't come up with the idea in time to order one online so he'll probably end up getting that for xmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiritKiraly
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012 09:28:54 PM »

This is soooooo much fun!!! I love breaking bad, got into last year (and watched the first few seasons online -its not released here- in just a few days, so watching the last season weekly was... well, a challenge!) Would love to know how you made the candy! Looks awesome, and I love the cotton candy flavour idea!! You certainly did your homework huh?! Cheesy:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012 12:02:30 AM »

Thanks! Here's the recipie I used. From start to finish it took me about an hour and a half and it made enough to fill a gallon size ziploc pretty full.

2 cups water
1 cup white corn syrup
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (that's what gives it the cotton candy flavor)
3 drops blue food coloring

The first food coloring I used turned kinda green-ish as it cooked and I ended up making another batch using a different brand and it looked better, so I don't know if it was the brand or the shade of blue or what but just a heads up that apearantly some food coloring changes color when its cooked

Put everything in a pot and bring to boil on medium heat while stiring continuously until it reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer (I think it took about half hour to get to 300).  Take a spoon and drop a small amount of candy mix into a bowl of cool water, if it balls up and turns hard then its done, if not cook it a little longer until it turns hard in the water but keep a close eye on it so you don't burn it.

Take off heat and pour into 2 rimmed cookie sheets. Tilt the cookie sheets around so the candy mix spreads out fairly evenly. Let cool until hard. I got impatient and put it in the fridge as soon as the pan was cool to the touch. After its hard, put the pan in the freezer for about 10 mins, this will help the candy come out of the pan. Take the pan out of the freezer, hit it a couple times with a rolling pin to break it up enough to get it out of the pan and then put the candy in a bagee to finish smashing it up with the rolling pin until the peices are a size you like. Transfer candy to a new bagee (the smashing puts rips in the first one), be careful when doing this, the candy peices are sharp, I cut my fingers a couple times picking up stray peices I dropped.

Clean up everything by soaking it in hot water to disolve the sugar and you shouldn't have to do any scrubbing.

Now go take your blue meth to Tuco and demand your money yo.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Leather For Spring: 3 Great Outfits to Show You How!
How to Wear Wedge Sneakers
The Hoodie That Lasts A Decade
Flint & Tinder Shows Off The 10-Year Hoodie
Olivia Palermo Goes Mod at the Louis Vuitton Maison Opening
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...