My brother is staying here for the weekend with his wife and daughter (we live about 200km apart) so I decided to make a nice little something for my niece. She'll be three in July, so I got to make cutesy kid-stuff
Without knowing, I chose to use the exact same colours her travel blanket is
As you can see in the second picture, I still need to tie down the points of the flower petals, but she's been to busy wearing it for me to get a chance to do that yet. I also hope to get better shots over the weekend.
I freedhanded this piece, so there's no pattern to share, but I can sort of reconstruct how I did it.
I used cotton yarn (don't know all the technical stuff about yarn, sorry) with a 3.0mm hook. I started with a magic circle of 6 stitches, incrementing 6 stitches per round until there were 50 stitches and I noticed I made a mistake somewhere, because at the end of round 8, there should have been only 48 stitches. I made another 2 rounds in which I incremented 10 stitches per round. Unorthodox maybe, but I was afraid it might become too small if I didn't.
With 70 stitches in my round, I made a calculation error and thought I needed 12 stitches per petal to get 5 petals. That should have been 14... I noticed my mistake when I was halfway through my third petal, so I split the remaining 34 stitches to 11-12-11 and just incremented once in the base of the 11 stitches petals. I really like it with 6 petals now anyway, so good mistake
Petals start with a base of 12 crochets, incrementing once at each end to go up to 20 (so 12-14-16-18-20), then 5 rows of 20 crochets, and then decrementing two stitches every row to get a nice pointy leaf. I then made the border, which I also used to tie the petals together in the overlap (this was hard!)
The white petals sort of just happened, I can't possibly reconstruct them. They're all a bit different in shape, because the space between the pink petals wasn't constant because of how I attached those.
For the webbing, I started from the bottom (I tried working from the flower down, but that got really ugly in attaching). I chained 130 stitches, made 130 double crochets in my next round to get a good base, and then worked with [url-http://www.hassdesign.com/DeltaCrochetTechniques/]the delta crochet stitch[/url]. If you ever use this, there's an error in the on line pattern: you need to either skip 5 chains from your base chain if you chain 4 later in the pattern, or only chain 3 in between your triple crochets. Otherwise, every 5 stitches you have in your base chain will grow to 6 stitches in the pattern. I noticed this after two rounds of delta crochets, so then I made a round of single crochets to get those extra stitches back out (26 extra stitches would make the webbing too large for my nieces head!) I did another 2 rounds of delta crochets, another round of single crochets and then 2 final rounds of delta crochets. I sewed on the webbing (crocheting it fast didn't really work) and now I finally need to sew down the tips of the petals.
I worked on this piece for 6 evenings in a row, at least 2, but more often 3 or 4 hours at end. I also spent most of my Sunday on it, so I think there's about 30hours of work in it. I have had to frog a couple of times (that's what happens if you freehand!) but less often than I had feared. Currently the hardest piece of crochet I've ever done, but so far, I've only made my own hat and a toy knight. Also, I have overtaxed my left wrist, so I'm currently wearing a bandage for support. That's what you get for crocheting against the clock: I knew I should take breaks, but I knew I'd never finish in time if I did!
Hope you all like this as much as I do.
Extra action shots