A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Braided Belt (w/tutorial)  (Read 1945 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graverobbergirl
« on: February 24, 2012 07:20:18 PM »

(I think this belongs here, or do clothing accessories go elsewhere?)

Made this to go with my steampunk faux fur vests, tie-dye dress, and etc.

I really like how it turned out and it was rather easy to do, so thought I'd share a quick tutorial for anyone who's interested...

Supplies:
    • Fabric (I used faux buckskin. A faux leather, heavy suedecloth or anything with little to no stretch would probably work best) Depending on the width of the fabric, you won't need much
    • Cutting Implement (rotary cutter and kit, scissors, or etc.)
    • Thread to match fabric
    • One set (two) D-rings (or the like)

Directions:

1.Cut 4 Strips, 1.5" in width. I had to piece mine in order to obtain a desirable belt length.
      2. Make Fabric Bands: Fold strips in half lengthwise. Press. This is the center line. Take raw edges and fold in to meet this center line. Press again. You have what looks like single fold bias tape. Turn this into something that looks like double fold by refolding along center crease and pressing. Stitch closed the open edge.
                                                OR
    Use handy dandy bias-tape maker and stitch fabric strips into straps/bands/whatchyamacallits

(Love it! I didn't even after to press these babies... it was like using a giant, much more useful fancy hem foot)
      3. Align ends along strip of fabric, stitch ends in place (I basted and then zig-zag stitched).
      4. Braid. Key is to be consistent and try to keep smooth and even for entire length of belt.

5. Finish ends by sewing them to a strip of fabric. Thread belt through both d-rings. Turn end of belt to 'underside' of belt and stitch, capturing d-rings in place.

6.To finish the other end, turn end towards underside, stitch end-piece fabric (that band ends are sewn to) in place, same as with d-ring end of belt. I added a decorative tip, which was really just a fancy pendant.
      7. Wear either by using d-rings or just tying. Mine ended up rather long so I can tie it, and let the ends hang decoratively.
    Enjoy!

[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2012 07:21:04 PM by graverobbergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
    Antidigger
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012 12:29:28 AM »

That looks lovely.Thank you for the tutorial, it looks good to try. This may be a daft question, but how do you braid with an even number of cords?
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
    Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
    PeachieClean
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012 01:07:02 AM »

It's more of a weave than a braid.  Youtube has -TONS- of videos on how to do it on hair, but it's pretty much the same.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
    Antidigger
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012 08:41:12 AM »

Aha, I never thought of checking for hair weaves!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
    Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
    graverobbergirl
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012 08:50:01 AM »

Hair Weaving-That's a good way of looking at it!

I just thought of it as braiding with an extra strand, and it worked for me...
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    3 Ways to Rock Pastels in the Winter
    I-DIY: A Sparkling, Souped-Up DIY For Your Beanie
    3 Unexpected Party Looks
    3 Creative Ways to Layer This Season
    Lily Kwong Shares Her Amazing Style Sense
    Latest Blog Articles
    Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
    Amazing Altered Puzzles
    Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...