A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,641
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to pick fabrics  (Read 2059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andy8715
« on: February 24, 2012 06:53:55 PM »

I have an awesome 12 patch quilt my mom made for the family when I was around 2.  She hand cut all these 2" squares (1296 of them), machine pieced them, and then hand quilted it.  Unfortunately I and my younger sister had night wetting issues so the quilt got washed A LOT.  the quilt is destroyed basically, unusable and I want to make my own.  She used little scraps she had from other quilts she had made and clothes she had made me, but I don't have scrap fabric.  So how do I pick the fabrics?  I don't want it to be matchy, I want it to look scrappy, I think.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
dme_cjm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012 08:18:03 PM »

If you want it to look scrappy, just go to a fabric square and pick out to your hearts desire. You can get a  bunch of fat quarters or even go to a thrift store and buy clothes, curtains, quilts to cut and use. If you want it to kinda match, you can buy from fabric collections, and then you don't have to worry about matching, it is done for you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012 10:33:30 AM »

Are there any quilt stores near you?  Some of them sell bags of scraps, which are leftovers from the sample quilts they hang around the store.  It is a great way to affordably get a lot of random stuff.  One store I went to last week had a basket of scraps and a plastic bag: fill the bag for $5!!!  I packed that bag so neatly, carefully, and fully, the lady at the counter kind of gasped.  I got a lot of cluck for my five bucks!! Most stores charged $10+ for bags of their choosing, but I have gotten good deals that way, too.  They are great for scrap quilts, not so great for people that like their quilts to match just so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
mom2garrett
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012 08:37:27 AM »

I always scour the fabric/hobby stores for remnants.  They're usually half off, and I often find whole yard cuts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012 11:41:36 AM »

www.fatquartershop. com sometimes has grab bags of fabric. It's great for building a stash.

You also might want to see if anyone would like to do a personal swap with you (remember to pm and not post on the boards) and send you fabric bits from their stash.

Another idea is to look into getting some charm packs. They are five inch squares, typically around 30-40 in a pack from the same line. They'll all co-ordinate with each other, but if you got charm packs from several different lines you would have a good assortment of scrappiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
rainylakechick
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012 07:16:06 PM »

I would suggest charm packs too.  It will allow you get the most fabric choices.  Most charm packs contain 42 different fabrics. 

Most charm packs of quality fabric are $10 a piece. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katje

trancending the tempest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012 09:41:36 AM »

A lot of sellers on Etsy offer scrap bundles, and some even offer pre-cut 2 inch square bundles. I would hunter around there and see if you can find anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012 02:42:27 PM »

I like charm packs but thought I'd mention that a lot of them contain duplicates.  The King of the Ranch and Love Letters charm packs from Moda that I have been working with both had lots of duplicates.

I agree with a fabric grab bag & personal swap.  Us sewers tend to keep everything just in case - I know I have a couple plastic tubs of scraps.  You might also try thrifting for vintage sheets or even shirts - just be sure to pick cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012 12:10:37 PM »

I would also be curious to see a pic of the quilt, even if it is in bad shape.  I like the more traditional quilts and am always looking for ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andy8715
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013 12:44:28 AM »

I would also be curious to see a pic of the quilt, even if it is in bad shape.  I like the more traditional quilts and am always looking for ideas.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I kinda have been in a rut/depressive state and just was uninterested in my usual hobbies so wasn't coming around.  I will try to get some photos of it soon and share them with you.  It's nothing too fancy though, it just had a special place in my heart. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Fanboy from Fanboy and Chum Chum
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
How to Draw Eriko from Dragon Crisis
How to Make Great Selections in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Disco Bear from Happy Tree Friends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...