A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is it possible to resize this dress?  (Read 2193 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kjc2488
« on: February 24, 2012 02:19:30 PM »

I recently purchased a dress online, and as we all know that was a gamble, and well...it is too small. I am by no means a tiny girl and the only reason I bought it was because a.) I am in love with it and got the biggest size, and b.) I didn't realize it had a zipper in the back. I thought it just had the elastic waistband, yet looking at it again it clearly says it has a zipper in the description. I must have been in an online shopping frenzy, and I'm kind of mad at myself.

here's the dress : http://imgur.com/V7JV4
Anyway, I really love it (it may not be the cutest thing in the world to everyone else but it's adorable to me) and I am determined to try and make it work, and it wasn't expensive at all so I don't mind ruining it... a little. I don't have any sewing experience and I will be enlisting my aunt the seamstress for this project. The dress fits in the bottom obviously, but my back is too wide around and it won't zip up all the way. I probably need a good 3 inches added around my back. I was thinking, and forgive me for my naivety, that I could possibly just open it up and add a strip of black fabric down the entire back and install a new zipper? I think it's all I could really do without it looking too botched. Does that make sense and even seem doable? I just wanted another opinion on this before I try to do anything crazy. Is there hope or should I just return the dress?  Thank you so much for your time everyone. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012 04:07:05 AM »

Why not take the zipper out and just stabilize the turned under edges and add a black elastic across the top? Then it'll be a pull-on dress for real! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012 08:03:38 AM »

you could always take out the zipper and make it lace up instead that way if your size changes at all itll still fit. if you're iffy about showing your back you can add a panel of fabric if whichever colour you'd want as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012 11:12:24 AM »

I have to do this a lot of the time... I'm busty and broad shouldered. The trick is getting a fabric that matches the fabric of the dress. But.. I wouldn't put the zipper back in. Instead I'd run some elastic along the entire back of the dress to help turn your addition into a deliberate look and more 'natural' to the dress.

If the fabric wasn't striped I'd say add triangles under the arm pits to give you that bit of room. Those are also easier to make 'natural' looking. I just did this the other day. I snipped the too tight sleeves off a dress and reused the fabric to add bust/chest room.

Since it is a striped fabric.. would you be open to laces? It is really easy. Just snip out the zipper along the seams, sew them back flat, add grommets and lace up with a matching lace.

(I found this on Amazon but if you go to your local sewing store they would be able to help you pick just the right tool. http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-1P-Grommet-Plier-Kit/dp/B000Y007NG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1331060892&sr=8-8)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
ljelondon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012 03:52:25 PM »

If it was cheap, could you buy another one and use the fabric from that to add in side panels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012 05:49:04 AM »

I wouldn't put the zipper back in. Instead I'd run some elastic along the entire back of the dress to help turn your addition into a deliberate look and more 'natural' to the dress.
.......... I'd say add triangles under the arm pits to give you that bit of room. Those are also easier to make 'natural' looking. I just did this the other day. I snipped the too tight sleeves off a dress and reused the fabric to add bust/chest room.

That's what I'd do. In fact I did do that to one of my dresses. In my case, I used the hem that I'd cut off but in your case I'd go for either white or one of the other colours in the dress to give a 'matching' contrast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

afleury
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012 01:20:57 PM »

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn Regular Socks Into Non-Skid Slipper Socks
How to Make Christmas Party Hats
How to Make Your Own Mud Boots
How to Make Beer Hats
How to Crochet Bee Happy Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...