A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday Feb 24th 2012  (Read 2847 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« on: February 24, 2012 07:15:04 AM »

I guess I'll start us off again this week.  Smiley

I've been playing around with textured spinning. Still under a lot of stress, and playing with crazy yarns helps. This first one is called Banana Berry Taffy, because it reminds me of the saltwater taffy you can buy by the pound at candy shops. The rest of these aren't named, at least not yet.

I have a bunch more yarns that are finished and skeined. I just need to get more batteries for my camera.

I'm working on another shredded sweater yarn now that I have a bulky wheel. I just need to decide what I want to ply it with.

What have you been working on?Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012 07:41:46 AM »

Love that first one, Lark. It's getting ready for summer! They all look lovely, though. I know what you mean about just spinning crazy yarns, not really trying too hard to make them perfect. That's what I've been doing!

This one was spun for the Handspun swap and she received this week so I can post!

~3oz SW Merino thick and thin plied with some red Serger thread, totally forgot the yardage.

And I have another to share that I am loving but my camera battery died and while I'm tempted to rant about it, I won't. You're welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012 09:44:40 AM »

That's pretty, Jexxi. Looks like one that will knit up really pretty. I like the red thread with it.

Here is the shredded sweater yarn. It's the rest of the sweater that I mangled last fall. It is soooo much more fun to spin a yarn like this on the bulky wheel instead of a drop spindle. I quickly learned that I need to bypass the flyer hook even on the bulky wheel, and have an extra yarn guide on there instead. This yarn has a subtle metallic throughout the whole thing. The sweater was a ribbed cotton/nylon turtleneck with matching metallic thread. Something easy to find in a thrift store even if you live too far south for much need of heavy sweaters.  Smiley

This yarn will likely end up in a woven wall hanging, or I'll knit a pillow cover out of it. This was very fun to spin. I love non-traditional stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012 09:45:16 AM »

I love your coils, Lark!  And the colors on that first one especially are so fun.  I'm sorry to hear you've been under a lot of stress, but I'm glad you're finding some solace in spinning.  Spinning is very calming for me too.

Jexx -- that yarn is really cool.  I know the texture is soft, but the colors somehow feel industrial/urban.

I am continuing to push myself to try new fibers and techniques.  I had bits and bobs of merino and corriedale in blues and purples, so for the first time ever I blended fiber on my combs. It was also the first time I successfully spun from the fold.  And, for fun, I made a few "faux rolags" and spun from them, which was a lot of fun.  I think the faux rolags are a quicker and easier way to blend fiber than the combs.  With the combs, the color combinations are more muted, and with the faux rolags more distinct.  Then I plied with a pink yarn of unknown content -- just a mystery thrift store cone.  It's "Raspberry Puff" -- 90 yards bulky 2ply.

ETA:  I first heard about faux rolags in Spin-Off (spring 2011, I think?) and since I don't have a drum carder, I thought it might be a good alternative.  Here's a good tutorial I just found online, which shows how you can add all kinds of things into your faux rolags, just like you would with an art batt:
http://rosemaryknits.blogspot.com/2011/03/because-fleegle-asked.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012 09:58:53 AM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012 10:05:38 AM »

That is lovely, nikschaf! You did a great job blending. I love rolags, and I really enjoyed making faux rolags last time I tried it. As soon as Carol Lee over at Sheep Shed has more dye soppers made, I think I'll order some and make a bunch. It's a good way to prepare the soppers for spinning without getting out the hand cards.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012 11:08:10 AM »

Beautiful work ladies! 
LL, that pink orange yarn is gorgeous. I just want to squish it!  All your yarns are so much fun.
Jexx, I'm jealous of your partner.  That's beautiful!
Niks, yay for trying new things! And learning new things! 

I'm still hammering away at my homework, so all I have are a bunch of small skeins, that are relatively boring.  Just standard yarns.
But!  I took a mental health break, and dyed some top and silk hankies!

Painted silk muwata by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

View A of the Merciboo top.  (it's 50% merino, 25%silk, 25% bamboo)  12 oz of it!

Kettle dyed Merciboo Top by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

View B:  Here you notice better that one of the pots got just a little more of the plum, and it snuck it's way into the grey, leaving it pinkish.  So I'll spin each seperately, then ply them.  I'm thinking lace weight....

Kettle dyed Merciboo Top by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012 12:07:17 PM »

Ooh, I love the colors of the merciboo, Bella.  Can't wait to see how it spins up!  I've never worked with silk hankies.  Do you draft and spin straight from them, or do you have to prepare them somehow first?  Good for you for taking a break to do some fun stuff just for you in the midst of your homework.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012 12:59:15 PM »

There are two ways I prepared the hankies.  I either pick a corner and start pulling it out to look like roving.  This way seems to give a really textured yarn.  And the other way is to stick your fingers through the middle, creating a hole, then drafting it out until your desired thickness.  this way gives a really smooth yarn.
If you check my signature, you'll see an opportunity to win some hankies... Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shannin
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012 05:15:07 PM »

Whoa, I'm definitely gonna try the pseudo rolag soon!! I have some leftover banana silk from a swap I just did (she's receiving today so I won't post the yarns just yet), I'll probably mix it in with some wool.

Anyway, here's all I've got.. It's the second skein I've spun on my new wheel. Cheesy

Approx 70 yards of 100% merino..

With a 1" pin:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
nikschaf
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012 06:09:38 PM »

Bella, I will have to check your signature out.   Wink

Shannin, I am in love with your yarn.  It looks SO SOFT and I love the color combination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear Suspender Tights
Ways To Wear Trendy Statement Suits
Featured Blogger: Mayte Doll
80s Fashion Dance Video: New Leaf by Samir
Fashion Blogger Aimee Song Gives Pro Tips On Styling And Starting A Blog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...