The colors for my belly dance troupe's costumes this year are yellow, lime green, and hot pink. I saw this lime green satin at Hancock and new it would be perfect for my costume! It's got sequin embroidered on in the shape of flowers and vines. I also found hot pink silk dupioni (a million dollars a yard, eeesh, thankfully I didn't need much) and had some leftover green trim from a previous costume. I picked up a couple rolls of sequin strands.
For the top, I based it off the top from Simplicity 5359. This was my first time making a belly dance top that wasn't an adorned bra. I trimmed the top with a band of silk on the sleeves, at the neckline, and later on added a band to the bottom because I wanted more coverage. Because I used fabric that doesn't stretch, I added elastic to the bottom and around the neckline to get a more fitted look and for comfort. I sewed the green dangly ball trim to the sleeves and glued a row of sequins in the center of the ribbon. I did a mixture of gluing and sewing more sequins around the neckline. The top closes with two large hook and eye closures, but I cover that with a big ole pin because the elastic causes it to gap slightly.
The skirt is just a run of the mill panel skirt; I didn't use a pattern. I joined the panels with a few inches of elastic on each side, and sewed a band of the silk dupioni to the top of it. I glued on a row of pink sequins to the bottom of the band, and tacked on a tassel across the front that I found at Hobby Lobby. Going down the panel's side seams is a row of pink sequins. I also sewed a line of sequins the inside seam to "hide" the stitches. The bottom of the panel skirt has the green beaded trim to give it weight so it doesn't flop around as flimsily.
For one of our dances we wanted to use half-circle skirts, and I got this weird yellow fabric for like a dollar a yard, so I made three of them, and one of the other ladies in troupe bought one from me. I cut three triangular-ish shapes, except the two side pieces had a rounded bottom hem. I sewed snaps to the top of them so I could quickly and easily get in and out of the skirt. It snaps to the inside of the pants.
We'd decided we wanted to do tribal-style green pants. I incorporated more yellow into the costume by adding a little to the pants. The pants have a slim fit to the knee, and the pattern piece from knee to ankle is a circle. So it's very full and swooshy! They are the ugliest pants I've ever worn, and I used to wear purple jeans when I was a wee one.
Enough talk, more pics!
Phase 1, before more coverage added
Phase 2, after band added
Closer look at top detail
And of my troupe!
and makeups! You can see the trim better!