A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Sister in Hospital  (Read 995 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftsy
« on: February 23, 2012 12:50:03 PM »

My sister is in a mental hospital (I have no idea what the politically correct term for it now is but that's what my sis calls it!) and according to my mum is bored out of her mind.

I want to send her a gift package with items I have made or she can make herself. So far the only thing I have got are some Baby Ruth bars.

A few things to take into account;

1. I am in the US and she is in the UK, so nothing too heavy.
2. She isn't allowed scissors so if its something she needs to put together I need to be able to cut it before I send it.
3. She is only allowed one small needle, so if its something to stitch together it can't be too thick.
4. She is only allowed one pair of knitting needles and they are huge (my mum likens there size to if 2 wooden spoon handles are joined) so a pattern would have to work with large needles.

She loves reading, mainly classics but will pick up anything. She has just recently learned to knit (but seems quite natural at doing it, unlike me!) she has only made a scarf and small squares, possibly a pattern for a level up from where she is right now? She goes for walks a lot to help clear her mind.  I am struggling to think of what else Roll Eyes

Oh she likes fashion but has her own style, enjoys looking in charity shops as well as high street places. She likes painting her nails but nothing very fancy.

I have no clue what to make her, I can sew and do paper crafts and willing to try my hand at other things. She likes being crafty but her not having access to scissors has really made it hard to know what crafts I could include for her to do. My mum has already given her a few cross stitch to do.

Any help or ideas, even store bought items would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012 01:42:17 PM »

I think it's great how you want to show your support for her!

What about a journal and a special pen?  Maybe one you used FIMO clay to decorate?

I would love ro hear what was in the package you finally decided to send her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012 01:47:22 PM »

Would she be interested in learning origami?  Maybe air dry clay with some paints?  Some beads and beading elastic or wire to make her own bracelets and necklaces?  You're a very sweet sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Craftsy
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012 06:17:49 PM »

I think it's great how you want to show your support for her!

What about a journal and a special pen?  Maybe one you used FIMO clay to decorate?

I would love ro hear what was in the package you finally decided to send her.

A journal would be a great thing to send, thank you! I may just buy her a pencil, that may be weird but she collects old and unusual pencils so she would enjoy that.

Would she be interested in learning origami?  Maybe air dry clay with some paints?  Some beads and beading elastic or wire to make her own bracelets and necklaces?  You're a very sweet sister.

Origami is a brilliant idea! I actually have a new pack of origami paper I could send a long with instructions for various animals/ items. I had considered the jewellery but dismissed it because of the wire but sending elastic instead would be a great substitute.

Thanks so much for the ideas, I will definitely let you all know what I end up sending!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012 12:29:59 AM »

What about a card kit? you could pre-fold card bases, include envelopes, and cut out a bunch of shapes and images, some sheets of stickers, doilies, glue sticks, and include a rubber stamp or two and an ink pad. Then she wouldn't need scissors but could make and write out cards. You could do the same with bookmark kits. Markers may be allowed, or something to color with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Low Textured Ponytail
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Curly Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for a Round Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Long Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...