A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: diy but personal wedding gift  (Read 1031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: November 12, 2009 06:57:54 PM »

I have a co worker who is more than a coworker, not that we hang out after work or anything, but sometimes we talk.  Or I talk and she listens.  Or I type I guess becuase I can't talk.
What would make a personal wedding gift (next summer - geez two co workers our of five within a year makes my lonely life seem .. well more lonely really but hey I can't let them know that. I am just not the kind of woman anyone wants).
I can do almost any craft, but how much is too much?  The last crafty wedding gift I did (heirloom-ey cross-stitch in a home-made barnboard frame) didn't go over well at all even though it was their style of things, with not even a thank you or even an acknowledgment that a gift was given (I was put out to say the least after months of work on it).
Is a couple hours in photoshop printed out, too little?  Is a few months crocheting/knitting/ x-stitching/arting/photoing too much?
Where do you draw the line?  And really I do have to say my co-workers are about the only people I know in person, so this (work) is kind of "it" for me for personal interaction with others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009 11:28:48 AM »

I think you need to consider a) how the gift will be received, and b) what she would like.

If she would like something from photoshop go for it.  If she would like a knitted blanket (or the like) and you feel inclined to do it, go for it.

It's more about taste and how you feel than what someone else says is appropriate. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
twylag
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009 03:52:11 PM »

well i tried to consider what they would enjoy, what their style was, etc for the and was even assured by another co-worker (a close friend of theirs) that she would love it otherwise I never would have gone ahead with it.  thats why i was so confused when neither he nor she even said thank you and turned their nose up at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeybun31
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012 01:44:55 PM »

My aunt did this for my cousin, I thought it was a really cool idea. She bought an inexpensive photo album. The kind that holds 4x6 pics.  She covered it in fabric (food-themed) and cross stitched RECIPES on the front. She bought some pretty cards and gave them to everyone to fill out. Then, put all of the recipes in the finished album. The cool part is that people would write  their wedding wishes at the bottom of the card or any little sentiment, sometimes funny. Like "This was my MIL's recipe, now its good!" Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter B
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter C
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter E
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter A
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...