A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $3 yellow sundress, red dress with sleeves, and high-waisted skirt  (Read 1548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdyhippy
« on: February 23, 2012 09:25:11 AM »

I promise I really do find time to do things besides sew! The only brand new project is the yellow sundress, the other two things I finished a little while ago and never go around to posting.

First the sundress! I'm really proud of this. I found this awesome hawaiian fabric on sale for $1/yard, so I bought three yards figuring that would be enough for most sundress patterns. I used McCalls 5094, which I bought several years ago to make the blue and green dress I posted here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316594.msg3645353#msg3645353 I ended up never wearing the blue and green dress because it was too cleavage-y, so I made the more conservative view this time. I ended up with straps that were just the tiniest bit too long. Instead of ripping them out and making them shorter I just added the two thin diagonal straps on the back to keep the shoulder straps from falling down.

Now for the red flowered dress with sleeves. I used New Look 6864, but in the end the sleeves just didn't look right. I think it would have looked okay if it was a softer, drapier fabric, but in the fabric I used they ended up making it look like a nightgown. To save the sleeves I sewed a thin piece of elastic along the hem to make the sleeves poofy/puckered like that.

Lastly I have a high-waisted skirt. It was really simple...it's just a tube slightly larger than my hip measurement, sewn directly onto a thick piece of elastic for the waist band. It was a very quick project, only two seams and a hem.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012 01:42:06 PM »

Those thin straps on the first dress are an inspired idea, wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to make Grilled Lamb Shoulder with Sweet Orange Mustard Glaze
Mint Leg of Lamb
How to make a Hearty Hamburger
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
How to Make Chicken Wings
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...