A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $3 yellow sundress, red dress with sleeves, and high-waisted skirt  (Read 1684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdyhippy
« on: February 23, 2012 09:25:11 AM »

I promise I really do find time to do things besides sew! The only brand new project is the yellow sundress, the other two things I finished a little while ago and never go around to posting.

First the sundress! I'm really proud of this. I found this awesome hawaiian fabric on sale for $1/yard, so I bought three yards figuring that would be enough for most sundress patterns. I used McCalls 5094, which I bought several years ago to make the blue and green dress I posted here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316594.msg3645353#msg3645353 I ended up never wearing the blue and green dress because it was too cleavage-y, so I made the more conservative view this time. I ended up with straps that were just the tiniest bit too long. Instead of ripping them out and making them shorter I just added the two thin diagonal straps on the back to keep the shoulder straps from falling down.

Now for the red flowered dress with sleeves. I used New Look 6864, but in the end the sleeves just didn't look right. I think it would have looked okay if it was a softer, drapier fabric, but in the fabric I used they ended up making it look like a nightgown. To save the sleeves I sewed a thin piece of elastic along the hem to make the sleeves poofy/puckered like that.

Lastly I have a high-waisted skirt. It was really simple...it's just a tube slightly larger than my hip measurement, sewn directly onto a thick piece of elastic for the waist band. It was a very quick project, only two seams and a hem.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012 01:42:06 PM »

Those thin straps on the first dress are an inspired idea, wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inspiring Quotes from Nelson Mandela
Between the Pages of The Murmurings With Carly Anne West
Atria Authors Love Book Bloggers
The Stolen Chalice by Kitty Pilgrim
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...