A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's talk bowls ;)  (Read 1610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2012 03:22:51 PM »

Bought the book Sewing Pottery By Machine and have wanted to use it but hadn't because I didn't have a reason to (i.e. nobody to make something from it for). Then I join the February Pinterest swap and saw on Dawnstrees' pinterest that she wanted something similar so I signed up for a claim. Then I realized I signed up to make something I had never made before! ACK! So I made a couple to practice with first, then liked it so much I made 2 for her as well. Used up all 200 feet of clothesline I had laying around the house (bought in false hopes that end up with long rant on a tangent)...

The first:

You can kind of see in the second picture that I started by using a purple bobbin and then ran out of purple so I had to go with pink. Good thing the bowl is reversible and I can keep that mistake on the inside, eh?

The second:

Nowhere in the book (or anywhere I've seen tutes etc online come to think of it) have I seen anything talking about making a bowl/pot in a non-circular shape. So I had to do it. Love it! Took it to my Fiber Guild meeting to show off (even though it's really a fiber craft) and they were all in love with it to. Lois was confused how I got the fabric on the inside green and on the outside pink. She was impressed that it was actually the thread used for the zigzag. Gotta keep that in mind.

The third:

This one went to a new home.

All 3 of those were made using the "direct lift" method. I made one more, bigger than the other 3, using the gradual lift method and I was very proud of it but my camera and computer decided they didn't like me the day I tried to upload them so even the pictures I took got uploaded, my computer can't find them and they are already erased from my memory card. Sad Sad Sad

What do you think? Anyone else into this? I loved it! Tedious! I need to go buy more clothesline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012 03:28:46 PM »

I've always been intrigued by the idea, but never have enough fabric and clothesline together at the same time to make one. 
Oh, and mistake....what mistake???  That's a design feature, right?!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012 07:44:09 PM »

I recognize this! The two you sent me are FANTASTIC! I absolutely love them and would never guess that you hadn't made them before!

Here is a picture of the bigger one  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012 12:07:59 AM »

Wonderful bowls! I'd like to learn to make these, gonna check out that book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012 06:49:24 AM »

I love making these and I love your bowls!  Great job!  They really are addictive.  I've made several sets of nesting bowls as gifts and people are always impressed - (I always let them believe it was way more complicated than it really is.)  Wink  The first picture you posted is really beautiful - I always have used a variety of scraps so my bowls are very multi colored - but that fabric you used was perfect!!  And I never consider changing thread color a mistake - in fact I will do it intentionally.  It adds character!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
jexxican

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012 09:05:17 AM »

Thanks, DTs, that was a big one (for me) and I am still so mad I don't have evidence of it.

As for the color switch, yeah usually I would call it a "design feature" but I didn't like it this time. I have thought about using in future designs, though.

I thought it would take more fabric then it did so the first 2 bowls are made from a whole shirt cut up. It was my great aunt's, the one I name my kid after, and I wore it all the time in HS. So those bowls are special.

Thanks, Bird, It's always nice when a veteran gives you a thumbs up on something they do too.

Now I really want to try new shapes! But I need more clothesline. Ooh! I wonder if they will have any at Albertson's! I go shopping there today and I tack it on the "grocery" part of the budget rather than taking it out of my "crafting" ... BAHAHAH! I am cheater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012 11:14:23 AM »

Ooh! I wonder if they will have any at Albertson's! I go shopping there today and I tack it on the "grocery" part of the budget rather than taking it out of my "crafting" ... BAHAHAH! I am cheater.
  (I get mine at Albertsons.)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
jexxican

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012 12:26:32 PM »

Sad All mine had was plastic clothesline Sad
But all the Easter stuff was on sale already Huh
Ah well, I'll make it to Kmart sometime soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hash Browns
How to Make Macadamia and Pistachio Encrusted Chicken Part 2/2
How to Make Macadamia and Pistachio Encrusted Chicken Part 1/2
How to Make Mayonnaise
How to Make a Creole Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...