A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peer pressure made me do it  (Read 1733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2012 03:02:41 PM »

We've all seen the crayon art everywhere and quite frankly I'm kind of sick of it but I then I got a wild ass hair and, well, we C-sters all know how they go. So here are my takes on it using the glue gun method:

So I got 6 small packs of Crayola and did this:

9" x 12" canvas. I put down all 6 of the black along the top first then put 3 of each color spanning 2" each. I think I should have started the black further down so it would have more a presence. I was planning on sending this to my niece but then I realized the crayon art I already had (from a swap) hanging above my sewing machine was BROKEN!

So I broke it more (sorry Leigh!) and using some crayon chunks and the dripping from the first piece I did I went from this:

to this:

8" x 10" canvas. I LOVE the texture, but don't know what I'm going to do with it because the first one up there took it's place above me machine.

And then I had 6 brown crayons and 3 of each of the "rainbow colors" so I came up with this:

Depth shot:

9" x 12" canvas. Ended up with some splatters so I tried to make like they "leaves" that had fallen off the tree but I don't think that part worked too well. I do like how each drop can pass as a leaf on the tree, though.

I didn't like doing this at all. In fact, I was going to stop after the first because it hurt my fingers but like I said, wild ass hairs, what do with them? What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
spidermom
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012 03:39:30 PM »

the repaired one looks like something kids (or me?) would love to run their fingers across.  great texture!

jexx, thank you for your complete honesty about how much of a pain in the ass it was to make them!   Cheesy it'll save me the blisters and cursing!

and i think the tree should come and live with me <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ramblings-- http://friendlyneighborhoodspidermom.blogspot.com/
more stuff--http://www.pinterest.com/spidermom78/
jcorn

Don't bring your crazy here. We're all stocked up.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012 04:14:39 PM »

I love the tree - it could live happily ever after at my house if things don't work out with Spidermom  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boycott haters.

http://www.wists.com/jcorn - my wist-y ideas
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012 03:12:17 PM »

I really liked the tree, too. I'm glad you guys agree. It's on it's way to Spidermom, though, so fingers crossed I packaged it good enough!
The "repaired" one now has a home on display in my girls' room. Maybe one day when they are older I can use it as a texture teaching tool. Thanks for the idea, spidey!

I also forgot to add when I made this post that using Crayola crayons over the cheap crayons made so much difference! Maybe it wouldn't have been a noticeable difference if I had used a high temp gun instead of low temp, but the off-brand crayons were stiff and came out more like stiff icing being piped. Crayola ones were nice and drippy, though I had to be patient and let them melt. Would definitely recommend a high temp gun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
sheeshakaye
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012 08:50:38 PM »

I see the finished projects on pinterest all the time and they've intrigued me. Thanks for the "real life" perspective! Looking at the pictures and tutorials it seems very easy! Yours turned out beautifully, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowtiedye
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012 06:36:36 PM »

Wow, I figured crayon art was going to be a pain, but not torture!  I'm glad you could piece something together on your adventure.  I have a canvas and a bucket of crayons waiting for a day off and warm weather.  I'll certainly be prepared for issues now.

Thanks for the super honest post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beef, Snap Pea and Asparagus Stir Fry
Broiled Miso Salmon With Shitake Mushrooms and Corn
Asian Steak and Noodle Salad
Ginger Chicken in Parchment
How To Make Chicken Pho
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...